Sponsored

2020 Mustang-inspired EV

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
It will be interesting to see what happens. I can understand why they are doing it. It's working with Porsche and their Cayenne and Macan models. In 2017, Porsche sold 55k vehicles, 34k were Cayanne/Macan. They sold less than 9k 911s.
Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
That rendering is very 2 dimensional, obviously to hide details....
What if it was a "Shooting Brake" version?
theophilus_chin_mustang_hatchback_2.jpg
theophilus_chin_mustang_hatchback_3-700x420.jpg

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Spy shot:
muscle_cars_4x4_22.jpg

I've gravitated toward Ford my whole life, between my dad who was a Ford guy, and their early sporty car history it's always felt right. But they keep driving me off with their stupidity. Looks like they're trying to do it again.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmmm, careful Ford, be very careful. I know you appreciate the Mustang's legendary status, but watering that down by utilising styling cues on a car that appeals for very different reasons, is a sticky path to tread.
This is how hack plans to kill Mustang

Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Well... at least it’s just the taillights. Hey, could have been worse, imagine this car wearing the Mustang pony :crackup:

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
https://medium.com/live-electric/th...-generation-of-electric-vehicles-2f105026012f

Hmmm, this gentleman may have been in charge of the next-gen Mustang and own a GT350R (both things that make me like him already)......but that doesn't mean using Mustang DNA in the EV is a good thing. Anyway, the above is a good(ish) read.
Agreed, good article. As a designer I like a lot of the things written here but still nervous at the prospect of diluting one of Ford's strongest assets, the Mustang. However, the visual relationship of the Fusion and Mustang can't be denied either but they killed that. Hopefully they don't blow it.

A lot of stuff happening at Ford these days...

Of course I'll stay tuned with popcorn in hand.

Last edited:

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
It will be interesting to see what happens. I can understand why they are doing it. It's working with Porsche and their Cayenne and Macan models. In 2017, Porsche sold 55k vehicles, 34k were Cayanne/Macan. They sold less than 9k 911s.
btown93...you beat me to it.
This is spot on!!
All Porsche models have very similar styling/styling cues.
Can’t argue with their success.

But will disseminating Mustang DNA throughout the entire non-truck lineup work the same magic for Ford?
It would surely be considered the best physical application of Ford’s “Bold Moves” 2006 Marketing campaign to “drive a more emotional connection with it’s customers”.
The “Shooting Brake” concept is very interesting.
Rad ‘69 4x4!
We shall see.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ehh, I don't really care if an EV CUV has similar tail lights to the Mustang. I do hope that Ford has more functional styling in it, though. For instance, an electric won't need the super long hood. I think having the Ford family of cars share some design cues is not a bad thing.

I much prefer that Ford make an electric CUV with Mustang styling cues than having Ford make the Mustang electric. The Mustang should always have a V8 - at least as an available option.

Driversedge18

SPIRIT OF AMERICA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ECOBOOST PREMIUM
Vehicle Showcase
It has the potential to be competitive & sell very well for Ford. This move was necessary for an expanding market both domestic & abroad. It will have the performance aspect needed with respectable 0-60 time , automatic transmission. :flag:

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well... at least it’s just the taillights. Hey, could have been worse, imagine this car wearing the Mustang pony :crackup:
As long as Ford doesn't start putting the Mustang name on these car it shouldn't hurt to much. Anyone as old as me remember GM's bs with Oldsmobile Cutlass name there was Cutlass, Cutlass Ciera, Cutlass Calais, Cutlass Supreme, Cutlass Brougham, Cutlass Cruiser and maybe some more I don't remember. Talking about deluding a brand name jees

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Please don't

Agreed, good article. As a designer I like a lot of the things written here but still nervous at the prospect of diluting one of Ford's strongest assets, the Mustang. However, the visual relationship of the Fusion and Mustang can't be denied either but they killed that. Hopefully they don't blow it.
Nobody identified the Fusion as adopting a Mustang grill. It was widely declared a straight rip-off of the Aston Martin grill. If anything, it was the Mustang adopting a more "Aston-like" version of the shark-bite grill that has created any resemblance to the Fusion.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nobody identified the Fusion as adopting a Mustang grill. It was widely declared a straight rip-off of the Aston Martin grill. If anything, it was the Mustang adopting a more "Aston-like" version of the shark-bite grill that has created any resemblance to the Fusion.
That was mostly the camaro c6g crowd

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
EVs aren't ready for primetime. There aren't enough charging stations and range varies by driving style. I think hybrids make more sense. This is really ironic coming from Ford when they just took all their small cars in America to the slaughterhouse because they've become niche in America and then they tease this which is actually a niche and a really small one at that.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
We all need to realize that if Ford does not stay in business there will be no more Mustang at all.

I find such a perspective much more worrysome then them building a van that has Mustang shape taillights. Peugeot does that too, so why shouldn't Ford?

peugeot-3008-gt-line-6.jpg
Sponsored