Sponsored

2020 Mustang GT vs Camaro SS 1LE

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
thats the conclusion I’ve come to. Regular Camaro ss/1LE is out. If anything a used ZL1. But most likely a mustang
I'd go with a used ZL1 and leave it stock, except maybe a resonator delete and a drop, personally. Especially if it's just a toy.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
What part of there's no point in buying a 1LE if you don't want to track it don't you understand? You don't need any of it's upgrades if you all you want is straight line speed.
the SS/1LE is the clearly superior car even in plain ol' weekend driving. Though yes if you want to roll race, the NA Coyote3 (with a non-factory tune) pulls cleaner and stronger than the Camaro (with tune) and noticeably so. Ergos and interior are subjective and can be debated the live long day. I drive them back to back all the time. The Camaro feels "seamless" - just naturally falls to hand. the Mustang by comparison feels like you need to wrangle a borderline unruly animal. Light 'reins' and some clicks for a Camaro, tight 'reins' and the occasional jab with a boot heel for the Mustang.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
That's what happens with a 1.5 liter larger engine.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd go with a used ZL1 and leave it stock, except maybe a resonator delete and a drop, personally. Especially if it's just a toy.
I think this would be a good way to go. When you bolt on a power adder it costs a lot and the value of the car doesn't go up. Buying something that already has the blower is a better move.

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
In testing a GT (with A10) vs an SS (auto) and a 2020 Supra, what is the mechanism that allows the GT to hold the revs up and sing more whereas once you let off the throttle of an SS or Supra it goes dead silent and, in a sense becomes boring? I know that's kind-of a noob question and relates to the transmission programming, but what is the exact terminology / mechanics? I hear the C8 is almost a non-event (little theater) too absent giving it the beans.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
In testing a GT (with A10) vs an SS (auto) and a 2020 Supra, what is the mechanism that allows the GT to hold the revs up and sing more whereas once you let off the throttle of an SS or Supra it goes dead silent
can't speak to Supra but just put the Auto trans in 'M' mode which forces you to change up/down with the paddles. The 'Sport' mode on the Mustang also holds gears high until the revs drop so far it has to pick the next lower gear. I don't remember what the Camaro setting was to mimic that aside from going full 'M'. I drive a 6MT on both platforms so no friggin' computer algorithm to have to manage and second guess...

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Lol, nope. I already knew he was just wasting everyone's time
Me too, and shame he perpetuated the Ny Stereotype of being rude, especially as I was born in Brooklyn.

Just for fun though, I found a Chevy dealer with a SS manual, so gonna do what he couldn't this weekend

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Have fun, the 6th gen SS are fun cars, I love mine
I had one as a rental in Cali, a 'vert. How we managed to fit two yuge suitcases and carry on's were ingenious (top up, store the big stuff in and smaller stuff in the backseat), didn't really remember the bad visibility either.

Just all I know is the Mustang clutch catches low and I hear the same with the Camaro.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Lol, it helps with visibility when the top half of the car is gone. But in my 1LE, the only blind spot is the passenger over the shoulder. It's not great but not horrible once you set your mirrors.

I prefer the clutch feel on my 1LE over my old mustang. I don't believe the Camaros use any of those stupid clutch spring assist like the mustangs. Pretty easy car to drive stick with cause all of the torque down low.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Lol, it helps with visibility when the top half of the car is gone. But in my 1LE, the only blind spot is the passenger over the shoulder. It's not great but not horrible once you set your mirrors.

I prefer the clutch feel on my 1LE over my old mustang. I don't believe the Camaros use any of those stupid clutch spring assist like the mustangs. Pretty easy car to drive stick with cause all of the torque down low.
Gotcha. Now doing my HW on the Camaro's aftermarket, though as I keep seeing, 515 w/fbo, cams and headers basically

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Interesting thread.....

My .02. I came off 20 years with a BMW E36M3, and was looking for another 20 year sports coupe love affair.

For almost a year, I drove everything you could imagine in the 2 door Sports Coupe arena.

Lots of great options out there to suit your wants and needs. I REALLY wanted to like the Supra. It was hands down the most engaging and rewarding of all the cars I drove. But in the end, the terrible dash and gauge layout with minimal info, ridiculous buffeting with windows down and no rear seat took it off my list. Another BMW would have been a no brainer, but I wanted to buy new, and as I am going tinto retirement, did not want a BMW repair bill.... The M2 Competition is outstanding. Challenger Scat Pack or SRT Hellcat are great cars, but just too big for what I wanted.

I drove 4 Camaro's SS, ZL1, and a couple trim packages in auto and manual, and hated them all. Sure, perhaps a great track car, but fit, finish, design, layout, ergos were all wrong and alien to me.

I looked at a GT350, and a Standard GT in auto and manual, and though I liked them all, the 350 was 'too firm' and the GT was 'too soft AND COMMON'

Then I found the Bullitt...... Perfect fit for my wants and needs. I'll be keeping the car mostly stock, 480hp is more than enough.

But the question is Camaro or Mustang right? I don't have a dog in the fight, not a Mustang or Camaro guy, never owned a Chevy or Ford in my life, and certainly not a 'fan boy' Had Buick and Olds Muscle Cars in HS and college, then since 85 been driving Euro's GTI. Audi, Saab, BMW, for my sports cars, and Jeeps for my daily drivers though I kept an 84 Cutlass 442 for nostalgia's sake. Just sold it. Though I test drove the Mustangs, and have several friends with them, I would never have considered one seriously JUST BECAUSE................. Same with a Camaro, but was totally fine with the Challenger, but it is just 1/10th too big.

OK, so enough background. The quality, fit, finish, technology and conveniences of the Mustang are IMO, definitely better than the Camaro. Plus you can see out of it........ No question the Camaro steering is a bit more connected, but other than that, the Mustang is a superior car when compared to similar trims. I did like the HUD in the Camaro, but the rest of it left me cold, and was awkward. Everything falls to hand in the Mustang and makes sense, even though the Pony and Settings buttons should be combined and a few other menu issues.

Which is a better track/race platform to build and modify? That depends on your wallet. Which is a better stock 'track car' out of the box? Likely the Camaro by a hair, but for a Road car with character, high performance, quality, and better looks, it is the Mustang by a mile, particularly the Bullitt which is for me the sweet spot.

It took a LOT to replace my beloved M3, but this Bullitt is absolutely a fantastic car even if I gave all my car guy buddies and father a heart attack by buying a Mustang......

My dad after his first ride...
IMG_20201003_132047200_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201003_132100007_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201017_124436532_HDR.jpg

But, to each his own..... Keep the shiny side up and the rubber down, mod wrench and drive what you love, and love what you drive......

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
Well my plan is boosted mustang which I’m now leaning towards the A10 because i see the MT82 is still shit. And if i get the Camaro it would stay N/A so it would be much less power and the manual would be fine and more fun for me on the street.

Boosted A10 coyote vs Heads/cam 1LE Manual is basically the decision to be made. Two different builds obviously

You are not comparing apples to apples. Why not stick with the manual mustang and keep the engine N/A you can still easily get over 500 rwp. That would be a more accurate comparison.
Sponsored