2020 Mustang GT vs Camaro SS 1LE

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
Hey guys, looking for some advice/input on my current dilemma (a good one to have) I’m currently trying to sell my Z06 and once that sells i will be buying a new mustang gt or Camaro SS 1LE. I have always been a mustang guy, my last one before the vette was a 2012 with a Paxton making 660 to the tire and i loved that car. My current dilemma is which route i want to go and which car is “better” for me.

If i get the mustang, i would almost definitely throw a Procharger (maybe VMP/Whipple) on it and make about 700whp fairly easy. At first i wanted to go twin turbo and auto but i really don’t race anymore so I’m back to getting the manual just for enjoyment while driving. Its only a weekend car. My concerns are how reliable the gen 3 coyote really is with boost, i know it can make incredible power but is that real world or is that YouTube and instagram cars that you don’t see all the issues with? And have there been any improvements to the questionable MT-82? I had zero issues with my last car but i kinda felt i was one of the lucky ones.

If i got the Camaro i would get the 1LE because its a great performance bargain even tho i wouldn’t track the car. I’m a straight line guy but i really like all the extras that come with that package. The issue with the Camaro is the LT1 does not handle boost nearly as well as the coyote so I’d plan on going n/a route and i would make probably 500-550 n/a. To me it would have the better interior, better transmission and sounds much better imo. but obviously lacking the power i can make in the mustang which for a weekend car i think i would have more fun in the higher horsepower car. But the Camaro would be a new build, as I’ve already done a coyote.

I made this same thread in the Camaro forum and as expected majority of them were saying to go the Camaro route, i kinda expect the opposite from here but i want to hear both sides which is why I’m making it here. Looking for any input/advice anybody has on this, maybe somebody who had to make the same choice.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Can't choose for ya. Ur gonna have to make up your own mind based on your goals and which of the two cars is more attainable.

OP
OP

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
Go drive the A10. It might change your mind.

The gen 3 is an awesome motor for boost. E85 is by far the best route to go with boost because of the high compression. With E85 under 700hp these motors hold up well.
I may drive it, but I’m pretty stuck on the manual. I originally wanted to make a roll race car and i was going to go auto because it’s faster, but i honestly don’t race anymore so I’d rather the manual for the fun factor

E85 and 700-750 tops is what I’m thinking. Not sure how happy the mt82 would be with that tho.

Sponsored

OP
OP

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
Can't choose for ya. Ur gonna have to make up your own mind based on your goals and which of the two cars is more attainable.
luckily i didn’t ask you to choose for me.

I asked for opinions and thoughts from people who might of been in the same situation and which way they went/why. And i asked about reliability with the mustang.

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
First time I've ever heard anyone refer to the Camaro's interior as "better" than the Mustangs.

OP
OP

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
First time I've ever heard anyone refer to the Camaro's interior as "better" than the Mustangs.
i should of clarified that better. For me i think it’s better because of the seats, steering wheel and shift knob all being alcantara in the 1LE which is appealing to me. haven’t seen it in person myself yet, so i can’t speak on build quality. But all over the Camaro forum they claim it’s better. (Obviously bias, just like this forum would be towards mustang) i have no use for the digital dash in the mustang so the main 3 components I’d be interacting with every day i prefer in the Camaro. I believe the mustang is the more comfortable car tho.

once things get back to normal with this virus I’m going to go to the dealers and test drive/compare both for myself.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
There's no point to paying extra for a 1LE if you don't ever wanna track the car and only care about straight line. The Camaro is the better driver car IMO. You can make both as fast as you want just depends how much money you wanna spend.

Oh and with 700whp, you'll be living on borrowed time with the MT82

george g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
george
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 2004 gto
Now is the time to test drive,no salesman ride along.The only problem for me was lack of camaros and scat pack cars near me.

Sponsored
OP
OP

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
There's no point to paying extra for a 1LE if you don't ever wanna track the car and only care about straight line. The Camaro is the better driver car IMO. You can make both as fast as you want just depends how much money you wanna spend.

i want the recaro’s, bigger brakes, alcantara accents, bigger/better wheels and tires, black accents and cosmetics on the exterior. Well worth the money to me, and i believe still comes out cheaper than the mustang. And I’m talking about on stock motor/internals. LT1 doesn’t handle boost as well as the coyote and the fuel system taps out pretty quick.

The mt82 being on borrowed time is kinda what i expected. Which may sway me towards the auto in the mustang, I’ll have to drive it to see for myself but i know everyone loves it.

OP
OP

John_B

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sold
Now is the time to test drive,no salesman ride along.The only problem for me was lack of camaros and scat pack cars near me.
really? Lol i didn’t even think of that. I’ll try to go this week. And yeah just browsing the local lots, i didn’t see many Camaro’s at all.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP

Not for someone that can drive a stick - perhaps if you are an absolute idiot.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase