Sponsored

2020 Mustang GT rear fuel tank noise click/thump/slosh?

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Hi all, brand new 2020 mustang gt 6spd has this rear pop/slosh/clunk type noise that ONLY happens when coming to a stop or accelerating from a stop (7k miles now but did not hear this earlier) It comes mostly from the rear driver side (behind the gas hole), occasionally towards the middle/passenger rear and it will make the noise once or 2-6 times in a row. I think it happens most often when on a full tank of gas... is this fuel slosh and is it normal or is it suspension related?
Is there a fix for this that the dealer should take care of?

It's like a clunk/click/pop that sounds kind of like the top part of a pickle jar lid when pressed and could be the fuel moving back and forth hitting the walls of the tank on stop/go??? no idea...but it's annoying and audible

Any ideas on what this could be?
Sponsored

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
I can sometimes hear fuel sloshing in my car, too. Only ever happens when fuel level is above 3/4 tank during starting or stopping. Run it down to 1/4 tank and see if you can still hear it.

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I can sometimes hear fuel sloshing in my car, too. Only ever happens when fuel level is above 3/4 tank during starting or stopping. Run it down to 1/4 tank and see if you can still hear it.
Does your sloshing sound similar to what I described? Its like a light thump/click/slosh mixture if that makes sense.. the noise will happen once or a few times in a row

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
Does your sloshing sound similar to what I described? Its like a light thump/click/slosh mixture if that makes sense.. the noise will happen once or a few times in a row
Yeah, it seems to vary based on how the fuel gets thrown about. Sometimes on gentle stops it'll sound like water sloshing in a bucket, and other times it'll sound like strong thuds as it bounces off the sides and top of the fuel tank. I'm pretty sure it's normal.
Sponsored