2020 Mustang GT Premium PP complete engine failure at 1800 miles

GW68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP2
I bought this car new in March. Noticed the Tick immediately, although it wasn’t very loud. Called the dealer and they said it’s normal according to Ford. It got a little worse as time went on. Still not a huge problem, although embarrassing for a $55,000 car.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. The motor occasionally started making a peculiar sound that I knew wasn’t good. It didn’t happen every time out so I started second guessing myself about the significance of it. I called the Ford dealer to set up an appointment to look at it (August 23rd) and also change the oil. I had read enough info on here to decide I wanted 5-30 oil when it was changed.

Fast forward to this last Wednesday. I was cruising the neighborhood. Never exceeded 40 mph. About 10 minutes into the drive and the engine started making a metal to metal sound. It quickly got worse so I started looking to pull over immediately without getting run over. By The time I pulled over (maybe 10 seconds) the motor ground to a halt. I knew it was really bad news. I called Ford for a tow truck and called my dealer to tell them what happended and to expect it to arrive shortly.

The dealer still insists they can’t look at it until the 23rd. I said, that’s unfortunate because you are probably going to find a completely trashed motor and will then need to order a replacement. I doubt it can be repaired and don’t even want a new car with a repaired motor. I want a new motor. At least the dealer provided me a rental car until mine is fixed.

Does anyone have experience with this? What are my options? I’ve read on here about short blocks, long blocks and crate engines. Is there any chance I could get a crate engine? That would be my best result. Right? Is a long block a better option than a short block?

Is there any chance Ford would just buy me out of this car (once again, 1800 miles). If not, is there any chance they would replace it with a new 2020?

Grasping at straws here. Never expected anything like this to happen.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
Sorry to hear about your car's issues - I myself have been dealing with an intermittent engine shut off/stall issue since picking up my brand new 2021 GT base a month ago.

First of all, why is the dealership insisting that they can't look at it until the 23rd? Are they backed up? Either way, I would escalate and be a bit persistent about it, especially when the car is practically brand new. Second of all, I don't think you need to start looking at the type of motor etc., as your car is clearly still under warranty and it's up to the dealership to diagnose and determine if an engine replacement is required.

As for the buyout, this would be tricky. First of all, from my understanding, Ford would be adamant as hell to buy back any car unless it was a glaring defect on the vehicle itself, and as for replacing it with a new car? Good luck - especially with the semiconductor chip shortage, there's a huge line of orders waiting to be built right now and 2021 is closing to a close which means if anything, you will have to wait till next year for the S650.

Eric

OP
OP
GW68

GW68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear about your car's issues - I myself have been dealing with an intermittent engine shut off/stall issue since picking up my brand new 2021 GT base a month ago.

First of all, why is the dealership insisting that they can't look at it until the 23rd? Are they backed up? Either way, I would escalate and be a bit persistent about it, especially when the car is practically brand new. Second of all, I don't think you need to start looking at the type of motor etc., as your car is clearly still under warranty and it's up to the dealership to diagnose and determine if an engine replacement is required.

As for the buyout, this would be tricky. First of all, from my understanding, Ford would be adamant as hell to buy back any car unless it was a glaring defect on the vehicle itself, and as for replacing it with a new car? Good luck - especially with the semiconductor chip shortage, there's a huge line of orders waiting to be built right now and 2021 is closing to a close which means if anything, you will have to wait till next year for the S650.

Eric
Yea, dealership service department is backed up. Thanks for the response.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
Yea, dealership service department is backed up. Thanks for the response.
I'd go to another dealership if I was you.

OP
OP
GW68

GW68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
I'd go to another dealership if I was you.
Well I’ve bought 3 mustangs from this dealership so I’m hoping for better than average results. Not off to a great start but they’ve been great on previous warranty issues with my other cars.

Sponsored

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
Call the Ford hotline and open a case. Start there. You should 100% get a new long block at that mileage, if the motor is indeed damaged. And they should offer up an extended warranty if they do put an engine in it. Sorry to hear all this. Keep us updated.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Call Ford. I’m sure they’ll take care of you by authorizing them to expedite your issue.
They were 100% super when my A/C broke. Took care of it all and quickly. And I was out of warranty. Call them. They’ll help you.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
So, this is unrelated to the tick, just as an fyi. The tick is a DI thing, think the sound that diesels make.

As for the engine, sorry to hear about that, likely a faulty construction or debris somewhere in the system that blocked an oil passage to a crank main bearing. Rare occurance, only good thing is that things like that do show up very quickly, so it can be replaced well within warranty and not put you on the side of the road 500 miles after your warranty expires.

I would not be overly concerned with it though, there is simply a small fail percentage rate on every engine ever made, you just got unlucky.

does suck that the dealership is delaying so much, this is the type of issue in my industry we would be placing up to the front with highest priority to resolve, and also do a failure analysis.

OP
OP
GW68

GW68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
So, this is unrelated to the tick, just as an fyi. The tick is a DI thing, think the sound that diesels make.

As for the engine, sorry to hear about that, likely a faulty construction or debris somewhere in the system that blocked an oil passage to a crank main bearing. Rare occurance, only good thing is that things like that do show up very quickly, so it can be replaced well within warranty and not put you on the side of the road 500 miles after your warranty expires.

I would not be overly concerned with it though, there is simply a small fail percentage rate on every engine ever made, you just got unlucky.

does suck that the dealership is delaying so much, this is the type of issue in my industry we would be placing up to the front with highest priority to resolve, and also do a failure analysis.
If the tick is a DI thing why do so many people say adding higher viscosity oil elimintes it? Are they just delirious?

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
If the tick is a DI thing why do so many people say adding higher viscosity oil Eliminates it? Are they just deliriou?
it doesn't eliminate it, it masks it. higher visc oil is a thicker cushion and can absorb the noise you are hearing.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
it doesn't eliminate it, it masks it. higher visc oil is a thicker cushion and can absorb the noise you are hearing.
If the tick is a DI thing why do so many people say adding higher viscosity oil elimintes it? Are they just delirious?
Let's not do this... the "tick" is made on 15-17 MY cars too so its not DI. The 2k rattle is what supposedly is DI. Regardless, I agree it's a non issue.

Moving on. I had an engine failure at 800 miles and got a new long block. I haven't heard of someone getting a crate engine so I'd be surprised if you did. Your intake manifold and accessories are probably just fine. Although I wouldn't settle for a short block. Those heads will have metal particles floating around and some damage for sure. The whole process took about two months. I was given the offer of a buyback or a replacement vehicle but I had no other issues so I figured I'd rather roll the dice on another engine than on an entire new car. 20k miles later and things are fine.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Moving on. I had an engine failure at 800 miles and got a new long block. I haven't heard of someone getting a crate engine so I'd be surprised if you did. Your intake manifold and accessories are probably just fine. Although I wouldn't settle for a short block. Those heads will have metal particles floating around and some damage for sure. The whole process took about two months. I was given the offer of a buyback or a replacement vehicle but I had no other issues so I figured I'd rather roll the dice on another engine than on an entire new car. 20k miles later and things are fine.
agreed, I would not settle for any moving parts that use oil remaining after this type of failure.

OP
OP
GW68

GW68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Let's not do this... the "tick" is made on 15-17 MY cars too so its not DI. The 2k rattle is what supposedly is DI. Regardless, I agree it's a non issue.

Thanks for the response. Very helpful.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
So much wrong... The tick is intermittent, not always fixed by a different weight oil or with additives. It just the engine, it is fine. The 2k rattle is the part of the fuel system driven off a camshaft, and it "ratchets"at 2000 rpm all the time. Some of you should just stop posting if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

I just bought this car last October and have learned all of this by simply reading the damn forum.

Sorry to hear about the OP's motor, hopefully Ford handles it swiftly.