2020 Mustang GT (GAS SMELL)

GR1MBLE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have tried reading through the forums but there are a million answers to my questions and I am trying to narrow it down. Any help would be appreciated.

I purchased a brand new 2020 mustang gt last year in august and I recently installed a Roush Phase 2 supercharger and two days later I had my Corsa extreme exhaust installed. The car is running great (besides not being able to hook and the tune needing to be worked on by PBD) but recently the inside of the car smells like gas. When I had my supercharger installed they also changed my oil pump gears, installed a sound tube and a passenger-side oil catch can. I am wondering if I have blown my cats and if that's the issue or if it's just a leaky tube? If I've blown the cats I feel like I would have had engine failure already from what I have been reading. I do not have any check engine lights and the car seems to drive normally. There has been twice now I literally need to drive with the windows down as it smells so bad. My car has been sitting for a day now and when I open the door it still smells like gas still but not overly strong.

I contacted the shop who installed everything for me two days ago and they have not called back yet. When I was on the phone they told me anything they did would not cause this issue? I asked them about getting me high-flow cats too. I would totally remove my cats but I do not want my car to be stupid loud (I love the current sound of the Corsa extreme and I have the active exhaust) I will wait till Tuesday morning to hear back from them and if I don't I will be calling to follow up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Cats have nothing to do with it, fuel smell would be from an install error most likely

OP
OP
GR1MBLE

GR1MBLE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Cats have nothing to do with it, fuel smell would be from an install error most likely
I don't think I smelt it the two days I drove the car around with the supercharger on it. I want to believe I've only smelt it since the Corsa Extreme has gone on the car.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't think I smelt it the two days I drove the car around with the supercharger on it. I want to believe I've only smelt it since the Corsa Extreme has gone on the car.
Maybe an exhaust leak? The cats on these cars are known to make a strong smell under power, but I don't think it smells like gas necessarily. I don't have a boosted car to compare though.

OP
OP
GR1MBLE

GR1MBLE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Maybe an exhaust leak? The cats on these cars are known to make a strong smell under power, but I don't think it smells like gas necessarily. I don't have a boosted car to compare though.
Maybe the Corsa extreme I have is defective? I seriously do not remember smelling gas before I had the exhaust installed. Maybe I will look into that.

Sponsored

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Check for exhaust leaks and check the brackets to make sure they are still tight. I ended up having my Borlas welded because I just couldnt get the brackets to stop leaking past the cats at the x pipe. If it was the cats themselves it would smell more like rotten eggs.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
First, you mention that the “tune needs to be worked on by PBD”.

Second, you mention that you are still using cats. If you have cats, there should not be an extreme fuel odor at all…

Third, if the smell is like raw fuel, then you better be checking for any fuel leaks under the hood. Check all along the topside of the engine near intake, fuel rails, injectors AND lift the lower rear seat cushion to check the fuel pump area for any leaks.

Even if you had an exhaust leak, it would not smell like raw fuel… burnt fuel, yes, but not like pouring fuel out of a gas can or straight from the pump nozzle…. Plus, the odor would not linger with the car parked (inside or outside).

If the car is running pig rich due to improper or incomplete tune, then that would be the only other explanation for a raw fuel smell… and if it’s running that rich, it could be washing down the cylinders which is not good. Have you pulled any plugs to see what they look like?
Sponsored