Sponsored

2020 Mustang GT Convertible PP1 Questions

JustSaber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a new Mustang convertible, and I have almost decided on the specs I want. Pretty positive that I am going to go with GT, A10, 401A, Safe and Sound, active exhaust, and B&O options. My main decision at this point is whether to get the PP1 and the Magneride options as well. I have mostly talked myself into it, but most of the discussion I have read here and elsewhere seems to center around the coupe, not the convertible. Before I bite the bullet on a $60k MSRP car, I have few questions to inform my decision.

For background and context, the GT would be a daily driver, with no track use anticipated, although I do enjoy getting up to speed in a very judicious manner (I use every single horse in my 14 year old V6). I am an apartment dweller, so doing my own maintenance is probably a no go. Before the current pandemic situation changed things, I used to drive a lot for work, so I would commute to the office in the city, but then drive highways a few hundred miles a week. Now I'm stuck at home itching to get back on the road. Finally, although a lot of people may disagree, I plan to buy an extended warranty on the car for peace of mind and since my job (at least previously) relies on reliable transportation.

Questions
  • This may seem dumb, but does the inclusion of the PP1 gauges or other options affect the air conditioning in any way, either positive or negative? I live in Texas, and it gets quite hot here. I have driven lots of regular Mustang convertibles as rentals, and noticed that the airflow power actually increases by shutting the vents on the passenger side.
  • Are the 2020 PP1 Brembo brakes all black with red lettering? I could have sworn I have seen red brembos on stock GTs before.
  • Is it possible to go to a square tire set up without much hassle? The staggered set up would make things slightly more challenging and worrying when heading to Discount Tire, as well as expensive, since you can't rotate back to front.
  • What maintenance costs should I be preparing for down the road? Obviously, the brakes and tires will be more expensive, but I am more concerned about options like the Magneride system.
  • One of the cars I am looking at has black over-the-top racing stripes. Any downsides to these? I had heard reports of them getting ugly and/or ruining the paint job, and I wasn't sure if that was covered by warranty.
  • And I guess a catch-all question, is there anything I should be considering that might sway me one way or the other to the PP1 or to forgo it? It's tough to know what you don't know.
I have really enjoyed reading through the forums. Looking forward to hearing thoughts from all the enthusiasts here.
Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I cannot speak from a convertible perspective, but the pp1 was a well worth option to me. PP gauges have zero affect on the cars ventilation system. Convertibles are typically not as stiff as coupes via loss of the roof. I personally would want the pp1 upgrades for that reason alone on a drop top. Apartment? So is the car going to sit outside all the time or do you have a garage?? Theft would be a concern for me (cutting top) if the car is not in locked garage. Good luck.

OP
OP

JustSaber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
I cannot speak from a convertible perspective, but the pp1 was a well worth option to me. PP gauges have zero affect on the cars ventilation system. Convertibles are typically not as stiff as coupes via loss of the roof. I personally would want the pp1 upgrades for that reason alone on a drop top. Apartment? So is the car going to sit outside all the time or do you have a garage?? Theft would be a concern for me (cutting top) if the car is not in locked garage. Good luck.
Thanks for the input, good info! My apartment has a controlled access parking garage, but I don't have my own garage. My parking spot is right next to the complex entryway for my floor though, so it gets lots of foot traffic (which could be good or bad, I guess). I have lived here a long time, and haven't heard of any car thefts, but of course that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I skipped the PP1, active exhaust, and the Magnaride when I ordered my 18' GT convertible. Don't regret the decision at all.

At the time, getting the PP1 forced you into black rims. I like black rims on a black car, but any other color I prefer more of a natural metal looking rim. I loved the silver painted rims. Now I think you can get the PP1 without being forced into black rims...
I bought my vert as a cruiser. Its not my daily driver and only gets driven on nice days with the top down 99% of the time. I'm only up to 3,100 miles on it. The PP1 would make more sense to me on a coupe that would see some track use or a car that will be driven hard, not on a uni-body convertible weekend cruiser with no solid frame under it. I'm willing to bet that I drive more like an old man here than most members. I don't race. I rarely rev above 4K rpms. I will go fast on expressways (80-95mph) though. The standard 4-piston disc brakes work just fine for me and there is no HP gains over a PP1 verses a non-PP1 car. There is a lot of stuff in the PP1 that I just don't need.

You'll get different opinions here about magnaride here. Some claim its worth every penny. I don't think its worth it for the way I drive the car. Also, new struts on a magnaride car are very expensive to replace verses a non-magnaride car.

The stock V8 exhaust note sounds plenty good to me so I skipped the active exhaust. Knowing my luck one of the down tube solenoids would get stuck the day after the warranty expires...

My wife and I plan on keeping this car forever.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Question answers (for reference I had a 2016 GT 401a non-PP1 and currently have a 2019 GT 401a PP1):

1.) coming from a non-PP1 to a PP1, there’s no noticeable difference. The air coming from the vents is just less divided (spread out) but it’s the same amount blowing out otherwise.

2.) black with red lettering. The Bullitt comes with red calipers, however.

3.) yes, you can fit oem 275 rims on the front without the use of spacers for a square set-up. That’s the first thing I did and is what I’m currently running.

4.) besides regular maintenance, this is kind of an unknown for most.

5.) I do not personally have experience with the stripes, but I would recommend regular cosmetic upkeep (detailing) and maybe going the ceramic/glass coat route.

6.) I would never give up my PP1 magneride.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JustSaber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
I skipped the PP1, active exhaust, and the Magnaride when I ordered my 18' GT convertible. Don't regret the decision at all.

At the time, getting the PP1 forced you into black rims. I like black rims on a black car, but any other color I prefer more of a natural metal looking rim. I loved the silver painted rims. Now I think you can get the PP1 without being forced into black rims...
I bought my vert as a cruiser. Its not my daily driver and only gets driven on nice days with the top down 99% of the time. I'm only up to 3,100 miles on it. The PP1 would make more sense to me on a coupe that would see some track use or a car that will be driven hard, not on a uni-body convertible weekend cruiser with no solid frame under it. I'm willing to bet that I drive more like an old man here than most members. I don't race. I rarely rev above 4K rpms. I will go fast on expressways (80-95mph) though. The standard 4-piston disc brakes work just fine for me and there is no HP gains over a PP1 verses a non-PP1 car. There is a lot of stuff in the PP1 that I just don't need.

You'll get different opinions here about magnaride here. Some claim its worth every penny. I don't think its worth it for the way I drive the car. Also, new struts on a magnaride car are very expensive to replace verses a non-magnaride car.

The stock V8 exhaust note sounds plenty good to me so I skipped the active exhaust. Knowing my luck one of the down tube solenoids would get stuck the day after the warranty expires...

My wife and I plan on keeping this car forever.
I appreciate your perspective and the information. You're correct, the PP1 now allows optional non-black wheels, which I prefer. If I get the PP1, I might just sell/trade out the black wheels or just buy new ones; they look like they would be terrible to clean. I would drive daily, unless I needed extra space from my old car (my insurance would actually go up if I got rid of it), although probably not with the top down in the Texas summer during the day.

I'll look up strut costs and see what kind of numbers we are talking about.

I am pretty set on the active exhaust, partly because I know all my neighbors will appreciate the quiet start option, haha. Also, it seems to come with most of the cars optioned the way I want anyway.

OP
OP

JustSaber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
Question answers (for reference I had a 2016 GT 401a non-PP1 and currently have a 2019 GT 401a PP1):

1.) coming from a non-PP1 to a PP1, there’s no noticeable difference. The air coming from the vents is just less divided (spread out) but it’s the same amount blowing out otherwise.

2.) black with red lettering. The Bullitt comes with red calipers, however.

3.) yes, you can fit oem 275 rims on the front without the use of spacers for a square set-up. That’s the first thing I did and is what I’m currently running.

4.) besides regular maintenance, this is kind of an unknown for most.

5.) I do not personally have experience with the stripes, but I would recommend regular cosmetic upkeep (detailing) and maybe going the ceramic/glass coat route.

6.) I would never give up my PP1 magneride.
Thanks! Regarding number 3, did you just buy two new OEM wheels and put the appropriate tires on them?

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Thanks! Regarding number 3, did you just buy two new OEM wheels and put the appropriate tires on them?
Yes, I bought 2x OEM rear PP1 rims (9.5 wide) and had them installed on the front. I’m in NJ, though, so I dropped the stock PS4 Summer Tires and got 4x 275 wide PS A/S 3+ tires (all seasons).

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have no experience with a regular GT, but I can tell you something I never thought I'd say: My PP1 Bullitt flows too much air even in the '1' setting on the freeway/highway in fresh mode (where I run it most of the time), so zero airflow issues. If anything, only rear passengers would suffer for the lack of a center vent... but I'll never carry a passenger back there, so not an issue for me.

As for the PP1 brakes, you can change the pads, which is what I'll do very soon, and many others who don't track their cars do as well. Too much dust, and also too much initial bite for me, so Z23 (or Z26, since they use the same compound) should leave them just about perfect. Hope this helps.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Theft would be a concern for me (cutting top) if the car is not in locked garage. Good luck.
Theft of what, the car or its contents?
The car has alarms and the steering wheel cannot be turned or shifted out of park.
The contents are no more vulnerable than with a coupe. Glass is easily broken and probably makes interior access easier than trying to go through the he top. Granted, broken glass is less expensive to replace but that's what insurance is for.

I'd be far more concerned about someone stealing/cloning the fob signal than anything else. But that would be for any keyless entry car...

Sponsored

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
I have the exact setup you described but without PP1 and MagneRide. I wouldn’t change a thing. Mine is also a daily driver. The active exhaust is worth every penny! The main reason I didn’t get PP is the tire/wheel issue. I didn’t want summer only tires. I also probably won’t be taking the car to the track. It handles great as is. Considering the upgrade to PP1 and MagneRide is like $7000 it really wasn’t worth it for my use.

OP
OP

JustSaber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
Yes, I bought 2x OEM rear PP1 rims (9.5 wide) and had them installed on the front. I’m in NJ, though, so I dropped the stock PS4 Summer Tires and got 4x 275 wide PS A/S 3+ tires (all seasons).
Awesome, thanks!

OP
OP

JustSaber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
I have no experience with a regular GT, but I can tell you something I never thought I'd say: My PP1 Bullitt flows too much air even in the '1' setting on the freeway/highway in fresh mode (where I run it most of the time), so zero airflow issues. If anything, only rear passengers would suffer for the lack of a center vent... but I'll never carry a passenger back there, so not an issue for me.

As for the PP1 brakes, you can change the pads, which is what I'll do very soon, and many others who don't track their cars do as well. Too much dust, and also too much initial bite for me, so Z23 (or Z26, since they use the same compound) should leave them just about perfect. Hope this helps.
I'll be honest, I have never heard anyone ever say their AC was too much, especially from someone living in Texas! Good to know though. I imagine rear passengers will be few and far between for me. Good to know on the brake pads; I am not looking forward to maintenance.

The car has alarms and the steering wheel cannot be turned or shifted out of park.
The contents are no more vulnerable than with a coupe. Glass is easily broken and probably makes interior access easier than trying to go through the he top. Granted, broken glass is less expensive to replace but that's what insurance is for.

I'd be far more concerned about someone stealing/cloning the fob signal than anything else. But that would be for any keyless entry car...
This brought up a question I had about an enhanced security package, but apparently it comes standard on the GT vert. Not sure how to protect against fob cloning, other than physically keeping it away from people.

I have the exact setup you described but without PP1 and MagneRide. I wouldn’t change a thing. Mine is also a daily driver. The active exhaust is worth every penny! The main reason I didn’t get PP is the tire/wheel issue. I didn’t want summer only tires. I also probably won’t be taking the car to the track. It handles great as is. Considering the upgrade to PP1 and MagneRide is like $7000 it really wasn’t worth it for my use.
Thanks for the feedback. The upgrade to the PP1/Magneride is a big chunk of change, for sure. On the other hand, I have kept my current 2006 vehicle for 14 years, so I might as well get what I want, if I am going to hang onto it for several years. Still thinking about it and researching. I appreciate all the replies!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have never heard anyone ever say their AC was too much, especially from someone living in Texas!
I said air volume :)... but fortunately, it also applies to A/C. When car is hot, and I click on 'max a/c', the airflow is unreal for a car. At any rate, forgot to mention how I fixed the 'issue': By activating the floor vents as well, so now that air comes out of dash and lower vents, flow is perfect on trips, and with the added benefit seats cool better with the floor vents on.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang

I would not let a 50k car plus sit outside at night was my point. jmo...

But, I realize people choose to invest/live where they live.
Sponsored