2020 Mustang GT Convertible PP1 Questions

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I drove several PP1 GTs, including a convertible, before deciding on the premium convertible with 401A and A10. The ride and handling are just fine for street, country roads and highway. Having the same size 18" wheels all around makes things a lot cheaper and more simple. Realistically, it doesn't need steam roller sized rear tires. A two ton Mustang is not a sports car. If I wanted a sports car, I would have bought one.
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
This brought up a question I had about an enhanced security package, but apparently it comes standard on the GT vert. Not sure how to protect against fob cloning, other than physically keeping it away from people.
Look into "Faraday bags". If I had to park in a public lot overnight I'd have one. Hell, if I had to leave it out in my driveway overnight I'd store the fobs in one.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
I have pretty much the set-up you're describing, minus magnaride and the stripes. I'd say that, given a convertible, PP1 is worth it for the extra bracing alone.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I have a PP1 vert but with an M6. The PP1 is a performance pack, not a track pack. If you want to track the car you will need to upgrade the suspension and tires to even come close to being competitive and have a serious roll bar/cage on a vert to even be allowed to go on the track. The PP1 just enhances the fun factor on a street car. It does come with a lot more than just brakes and gauges, it also has staggered wheels and tires, a bigger radiator, better suspension than a non PP1 car, 3.55 gears and a torsen diff with the A10 and as mentioned more bracing than a non PP1 car which is a bonus on a vert. I say get the PP1 along with everything else you want and enjoy the car. And as a little warning, don't use the little side covers that come with the car for when the top is down, they cut into the top canvas and it's not cheap to replace the top. There is a bulletin from ford that will allow them to replace the top if it happens under warranty, but its for cars built on or before Feb 1 2017. Mine was replaced under warranty last November and the bill came to $7,600 all paid for by ford. But verts built after feb 1 of 17, you are on your own unless ford comes out with another bulletin for the later cars.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
They've changed the tonneau covers and added some padding - they don't fit quite as well, but I haven't noticed any top wear as yet. Surface wear of the canvas was apparent on my '16 but never reached the point of substantial damage. I used them only occasionally at car meets.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Mine didn't show much wear either, I could have lived with it, but it was still under the original 3/36 so I got it replaced. I know the covers have been revised, but I'm not taking any chances now, the new covers are still in the package in my garage.

OP
OP

JustSaber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
I said air volume :)... but fortunately, it also applies to A/C. When car is hot, and I click on 'max a/c', the airflow is unreal for a car. At any rate, forgot to mention how I fixed the 'issue': By activating the floor vents as well, so now that air comes out of dash and lower vents, flow is perfect on trips, and with the added benefit seats cool better with the floor vents on.
Haha, I appreciate the nuance. And I have done that a few times myself in very cold or very hot climates with the top down.

I would not let a 50k car plus sit outside at night was my point. jmo...

But, I realize people choose to invest/live where they live.
You've got me all worried now, but I haven't had an issue in the parking garage where I live. Something to think about though.

I drove several PP1 GTs, including a convertible, before deciding on the premium convertible with 401A and A10. The ride and handling are just fine for street, country roads and highway. Having the same size 18" wheels all around makes things a lot cheaper and more simple. Realistically, it doesn't need steam roller sized rear tires. A two ton Mustang is not a sports car. If I wanted a sports car, I would have bought one.
Thanks for the perspective. I've driven plenty of Ecoboost convertibles and a few GT, but not the PP1/Magneride combo. Wish I could easily compare.

OP
OP

JustSaber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
Look into "Faraday bags". If I had to park in a public lot overnight I'd have one. Hell, if I had to leave it out in my driveway overnight I'd store the fobs in one.
I actually have a couple of these sitting in my apartment that I bought for my phone, completely slipped my mind. Thanks!

I have pretty much the set-up you're describing, minus magnaride and the stripes. I'd say that, given a convertible, PP1 is worth it for the extra bracing alone.
Thanks for the input!

I have a PP1 vert but with an M6. The PP1 is a performance pack, not a track pack. If you want to track the car you will need to upgrade the suspension and tires to even come close to being competitive and have a serious roll bar/cage on a vert to even be allowed to go on the track. The PP1 just enhances the fun factor on a street car. It does come with a lot more than just brakes and gauges, it also has staggered wheels and tires, a bigger radiator, better suspension than a non PP1 car, 3.55 gears and a torsen diff with the A10 and as mentioned more bracing than a non PP1 car which is a bonus on a vert. I say get the PP1 along with everything else you want and enjoy the car. And as a little warning, don't use the little side covers that come with the car for when the top is down, they cut into the top canvas and it's not cheap to replace the top. There is a bulletin from ford that will allow them to replace the top if it happens under warranty, but its for cars built on or before Feb 1 2017. Mine was replaced under warranty last November and the bill came to $7,600 all paid for by ford. But verts built after feb 1 of 17, you are on your own unless ford comes out with another bulletin for the later cars.
Noted, and I have no intent to track so that's good whichever way I go. Funny story: I have probably driven around 50 Mustang convertible rentals, and I have never once used those covers. The first couple didn't even have them in the rental, so I was very confused as to what they were the first time I saw them.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I have a '19 GT convertible with 401A, PP1, Magneride, Active Exhaust, S&S, B&O (basically every option) with the A10.

I came from a '16 GT convertible, also with every option for MY16 (401A, Nav, Premier interior, PP, Reverse cam, etc. the options were grouped a bit different), and of course, in '16 the PP was only available with an M6.

If you don't go with the PP1, definitely get the 3.55 gears, they're available as a separate add for like $800 (though it's not a TORSEN diff). If you __do__ spring for the PP1, definitely get Magneride, at that point, it's a trivial extra expense (assuming you've most of the other options as well). The PP1 makes it an extremely competent "sports car", and the MR system makes it both higher performance AND a better daily driver/GT.

While I wasn't shopping the AE specifically, I'm super glad I wound up with it. Instead of replacing the whole exhaust right up front, dealing with possible drone, loud cold starts, I have a terrific sounding car, and with the addition of a Steeda H-Pipe, it sounds just fantastic.

PP1 in a convertible adds some effective bracing, cooling, improved suspension/tuning, better overall "sport" feel, even though you likely won't be tracking a convertible.

The A10 is a blast, get it tuned, and it's nuts :)

I wanted the S&S (for '19 it contained more, cost more, they moved a few things into the 401A, but I love any additional safety features). While some people say the B&O isn't worth it, when you're talking about a $800 option on a car that's pushing $60K, yes, get it, unless you want to start dicking around with a custom install, in a convertible, it's plenty good enough, and a notable upgrade over the base option.
Sponsored