Sponsored

2020 GT500 Will Be Revealed on Jan 14, 2019! Sneak Peek of Supercharged 5.2-Liter Predator Engine

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Huh? This isn’t based on the voodoo. It’ll probably rev to 7k or less and make a TON of torque right off the line.
Why would it have a lower redline than the coyote?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You don't have to rev out a motor with a positive displacement blower in order to make power. Everything will live longer if the RPMs are limited.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Any word on AWD to put the torque down or is that still a few years away for the hybrid Mustang version??

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Steve Davis lives across the street from me lol
Maybe invite Steve over to your place for a couple drinks this weekend and then get us all the lowdown as to what him, Craig and Ford has in store for us in mid January!:beer::wink:

Should be an exciting week for Ford in Scottsdale!

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
A lot of people will be shocked when this becomes public info, but this engine is a bastardized hybrid. It includes the coyote gen three block (plasma liners) and the current generation voodoo heads with previous gen coyote firing profiles.

It is not direct injection, but lower in tech than the current mustang GT family of engine.

Therefore, I can see this revving to 7500 on an overrev setting like the last GT500, but it’ll likely remain at 7k. Also more than that and belt slip becomes a real concern.

Sum up: this new GT500 has the old headlights and front end architecture, and mostly the previous generation coyote/voodoo technology. I admit, ford could have showcased their newest on this car but didn’t. I wonder if the hybrid car that was in Rousch garage will be a swan song for this generation as a final goodbye.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
You don't have to rev out a motor with a positive displacement blower in order to make power. Everything will live longer if the RPMs are limited.
Thanks for answering. Ya, usually you tone down the revs a little for engine longevity. I’m not saying that’s a for sure on this application but wouldn’t surprise me.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
If ford has longevity tested the coyote at 7500 rpm, I dont think thats a concern.

Look at my signature. I'm fully aware of pd blowers. Lots of coyotes spinning whipples over 7k. If power is dropping off, I get it. But if its building power no reason to limit revs.
My guess is the issue lies with blower speed. The 2650 is limited to 18000 rpm.
A lot of people will be shocked when this becomes public info, but this engine is a bastardized hybrid. It includes the coyote gen three block (plasma liners) and the current generation voodoo heads with previous gen coyote firing profiles.

It is not direct injection, but lower in tech than the current mustang GT family of engine.

Therefore, I can see this revving to 7500 on an overrev setting like the last GT500, but it’ll likely remain at 7k. Also more than that and belt slip becomes a real concern.

Sum up: this new GT500 has the old headlights and front end architecture, and mostly the previous generation coyote/voodoo technology. I admit, ford could have showcased their newest on this car but didn’t. I wonder if the hybrid car that was in Rousch garage will be a swan song for this generation as a final goodbye.
Interesting

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
Maybe invite Steve over to your place for a couple drinks this weekend and then get us all the lowdown as to what him, Craig and Ford has in store for us in mid January!:beer::wink:

Should be an exciting week for Ford in Scottsdale!
I totally would, but he's only at this house for the Holidays now. He spends most of his time out in Scottsdale these days. If I run into him around Christmas time though, I'll see what I can find out though. :like:

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If ford has longevity tested the coyote at 7500 rpm, I dont think thats a concern.

Look at my signature. I'm fully aware of pd blowers. Lots of coyotes spinning whipples over 7k. If power is dropping off, I get it. But if its building power no reason to limit revs.
My guess is the issue lies with blower speed. The 2650 is limited to 18000 rpm.
I'm not debating any of your points. I think you are right with all of them.

I just don't think Ford would have to rev a blown 5.2 out to 7,500 to achieve their power goals. And the engine will last longer with a lower red line. Aftermarket applications don't have such a long warranty, so for Ford reliability is a very high priority.

What I was trying to say is that in an NA application if you are limited on displacement and want to make more power, you need to increase the engine's capability to breathe and rev to a higher RPM in order to make power. A simple way of thinking about this is the engine can behave as though it is twice as big from a power standpoint at 7,000 RPM versus 3,500 RPM.

So for the Coyote the revs are more important, because it is NA and the displacement is still limited to around 5 liters. The Predator will probably achieve the goal HP easily with a 6,500 or 7,000 rpm limit. I don't know whether Ford will lower the red line of the Predator compared to the Coyote, but if they do - it's a possible explanation or some reasons why.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé

It’s 5.2 Liters. Heads alone won’t give that to you. You need the Block too, with the wider Plasma-lined Cylinders. Why would it not be based on the AluminatorXS? Just using the Blower rather than the Ramjet.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
It’s 5.2 Liters. Heads alone won’t give that to you. You need the Block too, with the wider Plasma-lined Cylinders. Why would it not be based on the AluminatorXS? Just using the Blower rather than the Ramjet.
I never said it wasn’t 5.2. The aluminator is gen two architecture. The bottom end of this engine is gen three (from what I know) with the 94mm ports.

Aluminator XS is 12:1 CR, this will be in the 9:1 area, higher toward 10:1 I hope but I’m not holding my breath.

This will likely have different profile cams too, the aluminator has the voodoo profile in the coyote fire order. It’s mishmashed but works well.

This is also another reason why it won’t “just make 800hp because a 5L coyote makes 700+ with a whipple), CR will be way down with different cam profiles (I’m guessing) which would also create a lower redline.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.