2020 GT500 vs. Hellcat vs. ZL1

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
If it’s manual vs auto I can see the A10 being 2 cars behind due to driver granny shifting the ZL1. In reality, 580 whp vs 410 whp stock on 305’s vs skinny 275’s it won’t work!

This is like a Camry v6 with 300+ hp being 2 car lengths behind a mustang gt in a half a mile! I have seen a Prius lapping faster than an m3 on a road coarse on top gear with pro vs average Joe driver but on a straight line you have to be delusional to believe stuff like that!

Because of stuff like this mustang6g gets bad reputation. We have to be logical and know the limits and physics of these cars! 18 gt is an amazing piece of machine for the money, lets leave it at that!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Thanks for your "drag racing" input, but anybody can drag race and anybody can beat your car if they have more $$ than you, it is a penis measuring contest of who is willing to spend more. Please don't kid yourself.
But the OP's question was "How you see this battle playing out at the drag strip and the road course?" and 1/2 mile isn't drag or road racing.

And FBO EB with a good driver can beat stock GT with a so-so driver, but that doesn't mean FBO EB (almost 200 lbs lighter, great low-end torque, runs out of steam at the top-end due to a small stock turbo) as a car is faster than a stock GT.

Benjj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camero
I feel Like the gt500 needs to be faster than the Hellcat in the quarter and faster than the zl1 when it comes to track times at this point. How long have the Hellcats/ZL1s been available? Ford’s competition will be several years old before the gt500s hit the streets and I wouldn’t be surprised if the ford brass told the engineers to go out and set the bar in both aspects.

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I honestly think thats why its taking so long to hit the market. Ford knows where the bar is set. A high 9 second Demon. And a ZL1 1le that scotches the road course. Its going to be tough to cover both cars. Is the GT500 a failure if it cant cover both?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I honestly think thats why its taking so long to hit the market. Ford knows where the bar is set. A high 9 second Demon. And a ZL1 1le that scotches the road course. Its going to be tough to cover both cars. Is the GT500 a failure if it cant cover both?
If Venom kills Demons and is extremely close to zl1 no. zl1 can't beat the Demon so if the GT 500 can it's king at least for a little while.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I mentioned that earlier. I think its more important to be king of the strip. Than king of the road course. But what ever the case. They need to get past the secret shit and anounce something. I already know. I would never buy this generation of Camaro. But the hellcat is looking pretty sweet at a starting price of $58,650 to me.

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
If it’s manual vs auto I can see the A10 being 2 cars behind due to driver granny shifting the ZL1. In reality, 580 whp vs 410 whp stock on 305’s vs skinny 275’s it won’t work!

This is like a Camry v6 with 300+ hp being 2 car lengths behind a mustang gt in a half a mile! I have seen a Prius lapping faster than an m3 on a road coarse on top gear with pro vs average Joe driver but on a straight line you have to be delusional to believe stuff like that!

Because of stuff like this mustang6g gets bad reputation. We have to be logical and know the limits and physics of these cars! 18 gt is an amazing piece of machine for the money, lets leave it at that!
That’s why everyone said that the GT being that fast is a bunch of BS earlier in the thread. There is too much stupid crap that people say like the 2018 Mustang makes over 500hp, etc. Just giving ammo to the trolls.

Benjj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camero
Ford was able to set the 350r to be a potent track car. It was nothing special in the quarter mile but I could see that being a very different story if they added the a10 and a motor pushing 750+. I have no doubt this car is going to be badass but I’m afraid to see the msrp and god forbid the dealer markups.

Will it be a failure if it doesn’t cover both cars? If we’re being objective, yes. how old will the demon and zl1 be when the gt500s start hitting the streets? It’s gotta come in swinging

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
My fear is it’ll be the most expensive of the 3 wannabe super cars. ADM is what it is. I refuse to pay ADM for anything. I do however hope they come out with a plain Jane model for people like me that just want to go fast in a straight line. And do a few car shows. And produce a “R” model. That’ll take the fight to the ZL1.

Benjj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camero
Maybe the "base" model can slot in between the 2. Faster than the zl1 in the quarter while being more agile the the demon. Then the R could get a hp bump and more rigid stuff to beat them on both fronts. Who knows, it would be nice to get some teaser info other than the "venom kills demons." It might arrive and crap all over the competition. Enough with these california "specials" and bullits... bring out the uber mustang already

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
But the OP's question was "How you see this battle playing out at the drag strip and the road course?" and 1/2 mile isn't drag or road racing.

And FBO EB with a good driver can beat stock GT with a so-so driver, but that doesn't mean FBO EB (almost 200 lbs lighter, great low-end torque, runs out of steam at the top-end due to a small stock turbo) as a car is faster than a stock GT.
That is why context matters & you should read through the whole thread, before commenting... :thumbsup:

So I must ask you, why are you talking about a GT and not a GT500..? Just saying..

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
My fear is it’ll be the most expensive of the 3 wannabe super cars. ADM is what it is. I refuse to pay ADM for anything. I do however hope they come out with a plain Jane model for people like me that just want to go fast in a straight line. And do a few car shows. And produce a “R” model. That’ll take the fight to the ZL1.
Then why is the GT500 on your radar if you don't want to pay ADM..?

Given what we know of the GT350's initial release, the GT500 will be on a short list. If you do not already have a dealer, or a down payment, you are not getting a GT500. Move on..

If dragging racing is all you are really concerned about, then get a 10 year old mustang and turbocharge it.

Also, we already know the 500 has a supercharged engine. If you don't need the brakes, chassis and track cooling of the GT500, then why not just put a roush charger on your car and be done with it..?

GT500
GT500R
GT500KR
It is not a drag car. It will compete with the new mid-engine vette.

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I won't pay ADM. If that means I get a hellcat at cost. Or maybe a little under cost. So be it. I'm a Ford guy. So I'll still look for a GT500. As for supercharging a gt. In 20 years if you hold on to the either car. You have a desirable collector car. (GT500,Hellcat,ZL1) Or a worthless gt with a supercharger. I already have a GT that'll run 8s. If I want it to. And its basically worthless monetarily .

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I think the "Venom kills demons" bit may come back to bite Ford..no pun intended.

Unless they plan on offering a GT500 "Venom" package which will, like the Demon, if set up correctly, hit sub 10's?

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I think the "Venom kills demons" bit may come back to bite Ford..no pun intended.

Unless they plan on offering a GT500 "Venom" package which will, like the Demon, if set up correctly, hit sub 10's?
Its an easy statement to make. All you gotta say is I ment at a road course. I dont see the GT500 running 9s out of the box. A 750hp ZR1 Corvette struggles to hit mid10s. Because it isn't set up specifically for drag racing like the Demon.
Sponsored