Sponsored

2020 GT500 - swapping Base springs for CFTP springs, etc.

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
by any chance did you get a picture of the inner front fender? There's like a metal/plastic lip that holds the fender liner up, wanted to try and get a better view of that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Not sure exactly where you are speaking of or the angle you want to see it from...

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Not sure exactly where you are speaking of or the angle you want to see it from...
Epiphany

Couple questions

1. The part numbers listed at the beginning of this thread are correct for the swapping of the CFTP springs into a base model ?

2. For a guy that had moderate mechanical experience back in the day is this job achievable at home.

3. Other than a spring compressor what specialty tools might a guy need to swap these

Thanks

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those part numbers were correct when I ordered them but I don't know if they have been updated.

I do my own alignments so I use a caster/camber gauge and stringlines as well. Nothing too complex for anyone, just a matter of reading up on it and asking questions if you have any. And you are going to need to measure camber and toe with this mod unless you want to pay someone else too.

Jack, stands (a lift would be huge here), caster/camber gauge, wrenches, spring compressor, string/conduit, and some know how and you should be good.

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
here’s an imagine I was able to find online and I circled it in blue. It’s like a glued on L shaped bracket to the inside of the fender that helps hold the liner.
17897840-89F5-4EB4-B3F8-29A735940DE1.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I'm wondering why you'd need to see that area on a car with a spring change vs a stock sprung car as the ride height has no effect on the liner...

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I guess I'm wondering why you'd need to see that area on a car with a spring change vs a stock sprung car as the ride height has no effect on the liner...
I don’t need to, I was just wondering if you had a picture by chance. Thanks for the help

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t need to, I was just wondering if you had a picture by chance. Thanks for the help
Gotcha. While I have plenty of shots I've never tried to capture that lip/liner area. With temps in the 20's and no heat in my shop, I can't run my lift to raise the car such that I can gain access to that angle/shot. I'm sure some of the warm weather folk can get it done though...

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Looks like that “L” piece is just fiber glass that is seem sealed on to help hold the fender liner. Didn’t make any difference once I removed it.

Something interesting that I didn’t know before is the ECU is now in the passenger side fender near the body. Didn’t grab a picture of that.

Sponsored

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Any issues using these springs on a 2020 PP1 car with Magride?

Worth doing sway bars too?

I had GT350R sway bars on a 2016 Gt I had a while back and was well worth the proce for those swaybars!

Id like to stick to oem parts.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Any issues using these springs on a 2020 PP1 car with Magride?

Worth doing sway bars too?

I had GT350R sway bars on a 2016 Gt I had a while back and was well worth the proce for those swaybars!

Id like to stick to oem parts.
May not work depends on how the springs are wound. The GT500 springs are wound opposite of GT350 springs, so i am not sure about PP1 cars.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
May not work depends on how the springs are wound. The GT500 springs are wound opposite of GT350 springs, so i am not sure about PP1 cars.
The perches different? I dont think ive seen side by side vs GT350 springs either.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
The perches different? I dont think ive seen side by side vs GT350 springs either.
I assume the perches are the same but i really don't know. And you can swap sides to get spring windings the same, but the ears of the springs were also clocked differently. So i didnt feel like figuring that out, plus i put gt350 springs on the front of the gt500 and they were way to low for me, so i didnt even try the back. Ended up just using front GT500 CFTP springs on my GT500. They will fit just guessing on perch orientation. BASICALLY i would use springs made for your specific model, esp if i had a PP1.....lots to choose from.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Excellent post. Your tutorials are always first rate.
Sponsored