2020 GT500 Road Course times vs GT350R

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The ladies of M6G. Any callender plans in the near futre?
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Any callender plans in the near futre?
Tom: You know, that thought hadn't occurred to me but it's not a bad idea. <grin> Think anyone would buy them? <laughing>

upload_2019-11-16_7-33-48.png

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Your photoshop kung foo is good.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
supposedly
GT500 121.77
GT350R 127.9
That’s silly, I am fast but no pro driver and do high 1.25 laps at grattan (did about 12 days there this year) in my 350R, rear seats, and my 6’6” 280lbs, and eBay discount cup 2s from 2015.

I suspect the extra power will make a difference on the sizeable straight, but also the trans could allow for better gear optimization. I am out of 4th gear after straight but no way am shifting to 5th at the end and then down to 3rd in a manual and saving time. I also don’t use 2nd up the last hill before the straight bc I don’t need more entry speed there with the “dip” before the straight and also already out of 4th at the very end already. This is where Porsche gt3 make up some time on me (they drop 2 gears in auto mode without driver shifting , and are always way up in the rpm on corner exit) but generally I am faster than 98% of the other advanced drivers in gt3 on this track, same with z06. You can tell the gt350 was tested at Grattan, as 3rd gear is pretty spot on or everything, getting to the very top rpm in some spots but not needing 4th.

Last edited:

Sponsored

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
That’s silly, I am fast but no pro driver and do high 1.25 laps at grattan (did about 12 days there this year) in my 350R, rear seats, and my 6’6” 280lbs, and eBay discount cup 2s from 2015.

I suspect the extra power will make a difference on the sizeable straight, but also the trans could allow for better gear optimization. I am out of 4th gear after straight but no way am shifting to 5th at the end and then down to 3rd in a manual and saving time. I also don’t use 2nd up the last hill before the straight bc I don’t need more entry speed there with the “dip” before the straight and also already out of 4th at the very end already. This is where Porsche gt3 make up some time on me (they drop 2 gears in auto mode without driver shifting , and are always way up in the rpm on corner exit) but generally I am faster than 98% of the other advanced drivers in gt3 on this track, same with z06. You can tell the gt350 was tested at Grattan, as 3rd gear is pretty spot on or everything, getting to the very top rpm in some spots but not needing 4th.
Interesting, the engineer driving the development prototype specifically mentioned how the DCT allows them to do more things on track. He asked if I was familiar with Grattan and when I told him no, he told me how the DCT programming and adaptive traction control make the car significantly faster thru a dip on that track as an example of how the DCT and 500 was faster than the 350R, which I have run at M1 Concourse.
I spend enough on cars and drag racing, if I got into road course I’d be divorced :)
-J

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Interesting, the engineer driving the development prototype specifically mentioned how the DCT allows them to do more things on track. He asked if I was familiar with Grattan and when I told him no, he told me how the DCT programming and adaptive traction control make the car significantly faster thru a dip on that track as an example of how the DCT and 500 was faster than the 350R, which I have run at M1 Concourse.
I spend enough on cars and drag racing, if I got into road course I’d be divorced :)
-J
I’ve done a lot of days at M1 concourse too, let’s just say it’s not even close to as fun or challenging as grattan, not even same league! It is 20 minutes away from me and I enjoy some of the garage events.

ya there is a dip coming up the hill before the straight at grattan that I tap the brakes right before to settle the car. If I’m wot or close to it best case is bottoming out and worst case losing control. There are a few different angles to take it, but I’ve found staying in 3rd up the hill, very brief touch of the brake, then resume wot and that will get me to about 700 ft from turn in after the straight at the end of 4th. I just don’t see anyway possible to shift to 5th for a couple hundred feet at 140mph, then having to get down to 3rd before exiting the first corner. With dct, the GT3 I can hear them shift down twice and also go up three gears on the straight, as they can start the hill in 2nd and then get to 5th, then back to 3rd before first corner is over. These are instructors usually, but even they don’t use the paddles and just let the gt3 change gears itself.

from a pull the gt350r is very close with a gt3 that has 20 less hp but about 400lbs less weight, however out of a corner the gt3 with torque vectoring (extra torque to outside wheel to help turn) and ability to use dct to change gears much faster, it’s tough to keep up with a gt3 going 100%. The R is within about 2 seconds a lap of the best I have been with in a gt3. I am also curious what all that extra hp and weight and dct on the 500 will translate to, but frankly I don’t care. Nobody is paying me and I have more fun driving the manual, plus my R cost about 1/2 a tech pack gt500 and 1/3 a loaded gt3, let alone a gt3rs. 95% of the performance, 100% of the fun, for a fraction of the cost!

pic is from grattan after passing a z06

eta: my instructor friend in a gt3 balls out can do 1.22s at grattan, usually 1.23 though.

47F3B0A6-7DC9-48C9-ADC4-45E93696905C.png

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Mike: Thanks for all the very informative factoids and your R times were mighty good from what little I know on the subject.

They and your instructor's times in the GT3 pretty much coincide with the 500 times in the Grattan vid. I personally believe those times are extremely accurate (and unedited,) and if they are, the 500 should be quite the track car.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes perfect sense to me that with the power and dct the gt500 is high 1.21 for a very fast driver. Grattan is a wide track and while technical, not as much as something like Waterford hills. I think the weight would not be as much of a penalty there as the power is a benefit. It also makes sense to me it’s on par with the fastest drivers in a gt3 and gt3rs on anything but smaller very technical tracks.

I do think the 500 will consume mountains more tires, brakes, and gas than the gt3 weighing over 1k lbs less, but I guess the parts are also less $ , even steel vs steel brakes.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Awesome pic but that's not a Z06.
Maybe he passed him so fast he sucked off all the extra Z06 parts ...

(I don't even think that's a Grand Sport, doesn't have the wider fenders)

Next Mike will be telling us he lapped a 488GTB and he'll post a pic of a Miata :crazy:

(That __is__ a badass photo)

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I’ve done a lot of days at M1 concourse too, let’s just say it’s not even close to as fun or challenging as grattan, not even same league! It is 20 minutes away from me and I enjoy some of the garage events.

ya there is a dip coming up the hill before the straight at grattan that I tap the brakes right before to settle the car. If I’m wot or close to it best case is bottoming out and worst case losing control. There are a few different angles to take it, but I’ve found staying in 3rd up the hill, very brief touch of the brake, then resume wot and that will get me to about 700 ft from turn in after the straight at the end of 4th. I just don’t see anyway possible to shift to 5th for a couple hundred feet at 140mph, then having to get down to 3rd before exiting the first corner. With dct, the GT3 I can hear them shift down twice and also go up three gears on the straight, as they can start the hill in 2nd and then get to 5th, then back to 3rd before first corner is over. These are instructors usually, but even they don’t use the paddles and just let the gt3 change gears itself.

from a pull the gt350r is very close with a gt3 that has 20 less hp but about 400lbs less weight, however out of a corner the gt3 with torque vectoring (extra torque to outside wheel to help turn) and ability to use dct to change gears much faster, it’s tough to keep up with a gt3 going 100%. The R is within about 2 seconds a lap of the best I have been with in a gt3. I am also curious what all that extra hp and weight and dct on the 500 will translate to, but frankly I don’t care. Nobody is paying me and I have more fun driving the manual, plus my R cost about 1/2 a tech pack gt500 and 1/3 a loaded gt3, let alone a gt3rs. 95% of the performance, 100% of the fun, for a fraction of the cost!

pic is from grattan after passing a z06

eta: my instructor friend in a gt3 balls out can do 1.22s at grattan, usually 1.23 though.

47F3B0A6-7DC9-48C9-ADC4-45E93696905C.png
Mike, when was the last time you were at the track, there was a long debate when it was last paved. The website says it was repaved recently (which makes sense if the owners really are trying to sell the track). People here believe that the website is old and last time it was repaved was something like 2011/2012. Anyways, if you frequent it, when was the last time the track was paved?

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mike, when was the last time you were at the track, there was a long debate when it was last paved. The website says it was repaved recently (which makes sense if the owners really are trying to sell the track). People here believe that the website is old and last time it was repaved was something like 2011/2012. Anyways, if you frequent it, when was the last time the track was paved?
I was there about 12 times this year, last one in early October.
It has not been repaved and does have some issues with a couple rough spots. More importantly is the inside of pretty much all corner apex lines is sealant (Which is maintained) but is a very different grip profile and structure than the rest of the track (in the rain it’s like ice and the wet line is avoiding apex and outside corners). You can see this in the photos below from September. I think all this gives a wonderful sense of character and challenge, but it’s far from being in any ideal condition for best possible lap times. That said, conditions have been similar the past few years. The track is sadly for sale I heard, $7m. I really hope it doesn’t get turned into a private test track and I get closed out.

my bad on the z06 folks, didn’t look that close ;) that 2 day pca western event had a lot of z06 and just presumed when I grabbed the photo on my phone. I can assure you there was not one z06 quicker that day :) Anyway, I know it’s off topic but I appreciate that photo edit and here are a few more from grattan you can see more of the track in
9B12BD31-9D59-4F59-9D2F-0E384C5B8A5A.png
AC48A296-66E6-436C-AF56-3037DE9BD6DD.png
7E0F8873-A49D-4A98-A770-C29302223DE5.png
52092121-4249-4E62-ADA0-C31039418DB8.png
3F8D1AD7-4107-4933-8594-9C380AB7396B.png

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I was there about 12 times this year, last one in early October.
It has not been repaved and does have some issues with a couple rough spots. More importantly is the inside of pretty much all corner apex lines is sealant (Which is maintained) but is a very different grip profile and structure than the rest of the track (in the rain it’s like ice and the wet line is avoiding apex and outside corners). You can see this in the photos below from September. I think all this gives a wonderful sense of character and challenge, but it’s far from being in any ideal condition for best possible lap times. That said, conditions have been similar the past few years. The track is sadly for sale I heard, $7m. I really hope it doesn’t get turned into a private test track and I get closed out.

my bad on the z06 folks, didn’t look that close ;) that 2 day pca western event had a lot of z06 and just presumed when I grabbed the photo on my phone. I can assure you there was not one z06 quicker that day :) Anyway, I know it’s off topic but I appreciate that photo edit and here are a few more from grattan you can see more of the track in
9B12BD31-9D59-4F59-9D2F-0E384C5B8A5A.png
AC48A296-66E6-436C-AF56-3037DE9BD6DD.png
7E0F8873-A49D-4A98-A770-C29302223DE5.png
52092121-4249-4E62-ADA0-C31039418DB8.png
3F8D1AD7-4107-4933-8594-9C380AB7396B.png
My favorite GT350 color scheme!
Sponsored