Sponsored
OP
OP

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
I was incredibly impressed with the CFTP on the track. It ran 2:00 laps at Daytona and it had more left in it. I figure the car is probably a 1:57ish 1:58 which is very fast. I don't think a C7 Z06 or a ZL1/1LE can touch that. You are taking a number from an article. You have no idea how the car was set up. New tires? Alignment settings? I would like to hear more about the handling comments from the driver. I didn't read the article, but was it the same driver? All these variables all could impact a snapshot in time tremendously.

I had the CFTP on the track going flat out. I was extremely impressed with it.

Its a shame Billy wasn't there this year. I would have liked to see what kind of times he could do with the car.
Daytona have some long straights?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Daytona have some long straights?
The backstretch is broken up by the bus stop. The front stretch you hit the speed limiter.

OP
OP

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
The backstretch is broken up by the bus stop. The front stretch you hit the speed limiter.
Just realized how dumb I was being. I just watched imsa 24hours of Daytona. Yeah, the 500 would get a nice long drag race to create a nice gap.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Just realized how dumb I was being. I just watched imsa 24hours of Daytona. Yeah, the 500 would get a nice long drag race to create a nice gap.
I wouldn't call it that, but the point is that each track has its advantages and disadvantages for each car. The lightning lap is a snapshot in time at one track. People like to use it as a "one size fits all" benchmark, but you really can't do that.

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
+$18,000, +110HP, +CFTP goodies and the best it could do was 0.4 seconds against a 2 year old A10 ZL1/1LE. Goes to show how superior the Alpha chassis is.

Also notable that the GT500 with all this firepower only set the same time as a +5 year old C7 Z06.

This proves GM is king when it comes to chassis development.
+18,000, you are lucky to find a CFTP for that price, but for the ZL1 1LE, they are even available for around $65,00, way below MSRP. 0.4 seconds difference is actually pretty low, considering the long straights on that track. It is still disappointing for the GT500 for sure.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
+$18,000, +110HP, +CFTP goodies and the best it could do was 0.4 seconds against a 2 year old A10 ZL1/1LE. Goes to show how superior the Alpha chassis is.
The only reason this is even a "current vs. 2 year old" discussion is because the car didn't come out earlier. Ford could have slapped the supercharger on in 2016 and it would have set the same time. They just chose not to, but that doesn't mean they are behind in technology.

And last I checked, the PP2 Mustang is a full second quicker than the SS1LE on the same track.

Also, comparing it to a car that's 700lbs lighter and in a completely different category is not really a proper comparison in terms of which chassis is better. They each were designed for different purposes eg. rental car vs. flagship car.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
The only reason this is even a "current vs. 2 year old" discussion is because the car didn't come out earlier. Ford could have slapped the supercharger on in 2016 and it would have set the same time. They just chose not to, but that doesn't mean they are behind in technology.

And last I checked, the PP2 Mustang is a full second quicker than the SS1LE on the same track.

Also, comparing it to a car that's 700lbs lighter and in a completely different category is not really a proper comparison in terms of which chassis is better. They each were designed for different purposes eg. rental car vs. flagship car.
I get what you're saying, but there was a ton of engineering that went in to the 500. The timing thing is just meaningless bragging rights for those who care. It's out now, beating it's competition in laptimes and drag times. That was Ford's goal and they did it. I look forward to GM's response and then I'll look forward to Ford's response, etc, etc. The key to happiness here is to be brand neutral and have both brands as options.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I get what you're saying, but there was a ton of engineering that went in to the 500.
For sure, but in the end the chassis remains the same...and the talk was about chassis vs. chassis based on checkmate's comment.

Goes to show what Ford can do with largely a rental car chassis to be able to compete with flasghip cars on dedicated high alloy chassis.

OP
OP

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
For sure, but in the end the chassis remains the same...and the talk was about chassis vs. chassis based on checkmate's comment.

Goes to show what Ford can do with largely a rental car chassis to be able to compete with flasghip cars on dedicated high alloy chassis.
The 6th gen camaros and mustangs have me loving rental car chasses these days. :D

Like I said in an earlier post, my son has the turbo 1le and can't believe how good that little "camaro miata" handles. I know it's the same with the high performance turbo mustang. Camaros and mustangs are true sports cars now. The muscle car thing is just heritage.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I hear what you're saying, Z but I dunno. That's a whole heckuva lot of ponies for a sports car. Dare we call it a "Hybrid Muscle Car?" <big grin> Honestly, I believe it is more about your preference. For road course folks, there is no doubt that the vehicle is a sports car. Heck, witness all the videos of a variety of pro or semi-pro drivers with grins from ear to ear.

And then there are the drag racing folks who almost certainly consider the vehicle a primo muscle car. :cool:

Maybe "hybrid" isn't so far off?

OP
OP

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
I hear what you're saying, Z but I dunno. That's a whole heckuva lot of ponies for a sports car. Dare we call it a "Hybrid Muscle Car?" <big grin> Honestly, I believe it is more about your preference. For road course folks, there is no doubt that the vehicle is a sports car. Heck, witness all the videos of a variety of pro or semi-pro drivers with grins from ear to ear.

And then there are the drag racing folks who almost certainly consider the vehicle a primo muscle car. :cool:

I always forget about my drag racing brothers and sisters. Apologies.

OP
OP

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10

... and to address the hybrid name, we probably shouldn't use that term either because we might get literal hybrid muscle cars in the 7th or 8th gens, unless they jump straight to EV (BOOOOOO!!!!)

I've thrown out "super muscle car" here before, but didn't get any traction. Still looking for a good name...

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Wow!! Blistering time and really impressive considering how expensive the GT500's competitors are!

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Amazing times, I'm a big fan of the ZL1 // ZLE so good to see Ford and Chevy push each other. The 10 speed in the ZLE is no slouch but no match for the DCT in the GT500. Really curious to see what Chevy does with the new C8Z also. Good time to be a car enthusiast!
Sponsored