MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Is the extra $100,000 worth the difference in speed?
I was curious about the price difference on the lower end, a GT500 with the Tech Package is $77,095, a BMW C8 Coupe (non-Comp) without a special exterior or interior is $133,000 (or it's documented in a few reviews as $134,995, so maybe the configurator didn't have the final with destination), anyway, that's roughly comparable equipment.

The Comp model only gains 17HP, but adds things like ceramic brakes, etc., I'd say the "base" M8 is probably a better comparison. MT did a review of a super optioned M8 Comp (like a $5500 paint color), and it did push $175K from the $147K starting price.

So for FWIW, a base-to-base comparison, the M8 is ~$58K more, assuming no ADM on the GT500. Nothing revelatory, just kind of thinking out loud :D

Explorer ST is a Ford Performance SUV that is under 60k.
Seriously considering one of these to replace our DD/RT as the family hauler around May next year. I __love__ how it looks with the HP Pack - of course, it's hard to argue with the performance, especially with a tune :D (a local guy is an amazing Ford tuner, especially with Ecoboosts).

are there awd tremec dct cars running around?
BMW totally bailed on the DCT, even for their performance models, they're sort of all back in on more traditional automatics, from ZF - maybe part of the motivation was their move to AWD on many of the performance models (standard or optional)[?]
Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
are there awd tremec dct cars running around? how about we take one masterpiece ata time and enjoy it for what is and can do. highly doubt anyone shopping for a GT500 cares about how it performs a drag race on the street..
We will have to agree to disagree on this one unless you are using your sarcasm font. If so, ROTFLOL.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, seems like I saw a video awhile back with a 2020 GT500 lined up against a M8 competition and the results were different than what is being presented here.
If you're referring to the drag times video, I think that GT500 was slightly modded and of course on a proper drag strip.

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
While the M8 is fast, the M5 is faster and much cheaper. It's easy to look at these highly optioned prices and conclude that there is a 100k difference. In reality the fastest M can be had very close to 100k. Few will cross shop the 500 vs an M car but both are very good at what they were built to do.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
While the M8 is fast, the M5 is faster and much cheaper.
The M5 is a decent amount cheaper, looks like about $25-30K (assuming they have matching equipment, options, etc.), but I'm not seeing where the M5 is faster[?] I mean, they have the same engine/output, same transmission/gearing, but the M5 is a touch heavier. The couple of comparos I found show the M8 being a touch quicker, which would make sense.

Is there something about the M5 that makes it able to overcome the weight deficit? Like a better launch control? More efficient AWD? (I thought they used the same system)

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
If you are referring to the GT500 then I think that would cause a massive uproar if they did that. Look at what happened to the Corvette with them going mid engine. I think cost is main reason why they haven't yet.

Maybe with the S650 Mustang being on the CD6 platform they can do it.
Ummmmmmm, are you implying that the C8 going ME lost fans? Are you also implying that the ME costs a lot more?

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
I stand corrected. I didn’t realize the M8 had run 2.5 to 60 and 1/4 mile at 10.7 in July. I had previously only seen 3.0 to 60. Pretty quick to say the least.
The best M5 time published was a base (non comp) version that ran 2.8 to 60 and 1/4 mile at 10.9. Again pretty quick especially for a sedan.

Last edited:

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
In speaking with several of my HPDRE instructors about AWD versus Rear Drive, AWD is not the panacea everyone would like to believe that it is on a road course. I think that it's reasonably well known that the S550 platform was designed for the track...not exclusively for the drags.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Ummmmmmm, are you implying that the C8 going ME lost fans? Are you also implying that the ME costs a lot more?
Just stating that there was some outrage when they changed it, Im pretty sure that it did not impact sales though. Im just implying that GM had to redesign the Corvette from front engine to mid engine which I am sure cost them more money to develop than them just leaving it as front engine.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
For dropping 0-60 times more, eventually AWD has to be considered. That, or using sticky steamroller sized tires. The engineers on the C8 admitted they were at the peak or what could be done with RWD, hence the change. The Nissan GTR manages sub 3 seconds with a turbo V6, and modified ones are ridiculous.

We haven't seen too many years of stock 700+ hp cars off the showroom floor. The geniuses at Dodge have a 707hp engine in a Challenger with tires the same size as my PP Mustang. I mean geez. Advertised hp is one thing, but actually using all of it is quite another. Spinnin' ain't winnin'.

Sponsored

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
They have one that is electric. They can’t afford anymore weight penalty or gas guzzler penalty. I would much rather have an extra 50hp on the front axle Vs a parasitic awd system.

Ford will go after that $2,600(this year) guzzler tax with a hybrid system at some point. They could put a 5k system that would only add 2,400 to the purchase price.
The GT500 notoriously can't even put the current 760 HP down to the ground. Please don't add more to exacerbate the problem.... :headbang:

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
For dropping 0-60 times more, eventually AWD has to be considered. That, or using sticky steamroller sized tires. The engineers on the C8 admitted they were at the peak or what could be done with RWD, hence the change. The Nissan GTR manages sub 3 seconds with a turbo V6, and modified ones are ridiculous.

We haven't seen too many years of stock 700+ hp cars off the showroom floor. The geniuses at Dodge have a 707hp engine in a Challenger with tires the same size as my PP Mustang. I mean geez. Advertised hp is one thing, but actually using all of it is quite another. Spinnin' ain't winnin'.
You of course have a point but I would argue that you lose something very important once you add awd or go mid engine. Look at the corvette sure it has amazing performance but it lost that American look that it has had since 1953. With an awd mustang you add weight something it does not need, sure a hellcat cant put the power down, but it can do burnouts for days and can do sub 3 sec 0-60s on a good tire at a strip.

Dodge could never sell a hellcat for $58,000 with 717 hp if it had an awd system.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Let's be honest, IF Ford decided to go AWD, all you guys would be bitching that it's a teacup system and can't handle gobs of additional power that the aftermarket loves to throw at it.

Oh of course, after about 3-4 years the aftermarket community would finally catch up on components and systems that would beef up the driveline to handle all this power, etc, but you can bet that if Ford engineers it, it'll be JUST ENOUGH in terms of torque capacity to handle the power that comes from the factory.

I agree, that at some point, when the power tremendously overtakes the capacity of the chassis, it just becomes a dyno queen on roller skates.

I'd much rather see an aftermarket firm engineer and produce a system rather than Ford. Ford won't make it with room to grow.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I have to agree with Angrey, if Ford did engineer a system, it would be just enough. If it goes to an outside vendor, then the added cost will go even higher. The real question becomes one of cost versus benefit. Take your faster 1/4 mile antagonist to a fast road course and show him how throttle induced oversteer works! Those more experienced than I say that AWD understeers dramatically nearing corning limits...unless it's a really expensive car that allows for adjusting the torque feed balance.
Sponsored