2020 GT500 Ported Billet Oil Pump Gears

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Posted this over in the GT350 section, but it is appropriate here as well.

These are the brand-new 2020 GT500 billet ported oil-pump gears from Boundary. I've gone with the 2020 GT500 oil pan, pickup tube, and oil pump which are direct replacement pieces on the GT350's. The gears for this pump are a different size than the GT350 one's so you cannot take billet oil pump gears from a 350 pump and put them into the 500 pump. I'll report back once I have everything installed and running.
94462730_1399742543531141_8096657731198386176_n.jpg
94143831_235521161030865_2000010465513570304_n.jpg
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
These are the brand-new 2020 GT500 billet ported oil-pump gears from Boundary.
I have no doubt these gears were machined from "billet" steel stock. But you don't "port" gears. I could see the pump housing being hand dressed (deburred, etc) but the gears themselves wouldn't be "ported."

What should be given priority in terms of concern with respect to the gears are material choice, heat treatment numbers, and tolerances (in comparison to the stock gears).

OP
OP
CobraCommander

CobraCommander

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I have no doubt these gears were machined from "billet" steel stock. But you don't "port" gears. I could see the pump housing being hand dressed (deburred, etc) but the gears themselves wouldn't be "ported."

What should be given priority in terms of concern with respect to the gears are material choice, heat treatment numbers, and tolerances (in comparison to the stock gears).
https://www.boundarypumps.com/ford-v8-cayote-1/coyote-black-oil-pump-gears

Our release of the Boundary Black series is to set a new precedent in Gerotor technology. These new gerotors feature both our MartenWear super surfaces for low friction and high wear capability along with our industry-leading ported gerotor designs.

This new gear has the following features:

1. MartenWear and ColdFinish combination makes the surface capable of 13000 RPM surface speeds without wear.

2. Ported gerotor greatly increases the surface area available for flow and allows the flow to move straight through the outer gerotor instead of having to go up across and down to the pumping cavity. This has many benefits.
    1. Less cavitation which reduces aeration and foaming of the oil

2. More flow at high RPM

3. Less pumping losses

4. Less heat in the oil

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are dressing the gerotor in segments and calling the milled sections with a fillet, "porting."

I'd like to see the Von Mises stress data as I assume they at least ran some virtual testing. They've significantly reduced the gerotor cross section at each segment, something I'm not a fan of.

On edit - eliminated redundancy.:)

Last edited:

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Tob: You remind me of a kid in my high school class..he knew so much information it was mind-boggling. Never studied, got straight A's...went to MIT...had an argument with his Dad, Dad cut off funds, the smartest guy I ever knew became a college professor.

You most definitely remind me of him, amigo...you're something!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KB, regarding the above and don't get me wrong - I am all for innovation and the ideas that drive it. I'd love to see data behind this particular piece, what it takes for it to fail, and how much strength was compromised in order to effectuate better oiling performance. Because when it comes to these gears, they are the one thing I do not want to see failing on a perfectly good engine. They need to be way over engineered and something you would never, ever consider a part that could give way under duress.

A quick primer...
https://lmengines.com/pages/why-mod-motor-oil-pump-gears-and-timing-components-fail

See where the gears fracture? You need the most strength at the weakest points. That being, where the gears neck down and are most likely to fail. Hence exercising caution when reducing the cross section ever further in search of improved oiling performance.

IMG_1108-1.jpg

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Oil pumps sure have changed over the years, I swear. Hell, I remember when it was wonderful if you got 40psi. :-)

When this girl steps up to the oil pressure plate, back up. <chuckling> I'm surprised she doesn't spring leaks with the pressure she puts out.

MOST excellent narrative in any case, Tob..thanks.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
They are dressing the gerotor in segments and calling the milled sections with a fillet, "porting."

I'd like to see the Von Mises stress data as I assume they at least ran some virtual testing. They've significantly reduced the gerotor cross section at each segment, something I'm not a fan of.

On edit - eliminated redundancy.:)
Love the intellect here. Thanks for asking great questions. Since you have Samuel L. Jackson from Pulp Fiction as your avatar, I assume you won't begrudge me for saying. "Look at the big brain on Brad".

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Say what again.....

Sponsored