WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
Maybe the SCCM has different values in there for those
Either that, or perhaps the pin configuration is different in the plug.

alpha_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.forgitec.com
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT | 2019 BMW X5 | 2022 BMW M4
So I went through hell and back trying to take the paddle pieces off of the motherboard of the paddles and it is absolutely not possible without breaking the mechanisms because Ford has put metal prongs pressed into the paddles holding together the pieces. I am sure if someone was able to somehow, in some way swap the plugs/green switches without breaking the paddles, it will work but I tried and broke one of the paddles so I gave up for now. It's sad because I have been looking forward to this for such a long time!
IMG_6219.jpg

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
So I went through hell and back trying to take the paddle pieces off of the motherboard of the paddles and it is absolutely not possible without breaking the mechanisms because Ford has put metal prongs pressed into the paddles holding together the pieces. I am sure if someone was able to somehow, in some way swap the plugs/green switches without breaking the paddles, it will work but I tried and broke one of the paddles so I gave up for now. It's sad because I have been looking forward to this for such a long time!
IMG_6219.jpg
Are you able to take a photo of the wiring plug connector to compare the pinouts?

OP
OP
mejohn50

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
IMG_6219.jpg
This is really too bad. I was quite convinced that if the connectors were the same, which I assumed they would be, they would be plug and play. Itā€™s also strange because there are some people on here who use more or less a standard momentary switch attached in parallel to he paddles to move the shifters elsewhere. This thread has some details on the wiring and schematics for the paddles on the GT.

How many pins is the connector? If I remember correctly itā€™s three. I wonder if you tested the resistance across the pins in each paddle when pushing the switch if youā€™d find that the pin out is the same or different between switches. Perhaps, if itā€™s a 3-pin or more connector, it might be as simple a re-pinning the car side harness to work with the GT500 paddle.

Would be sweet to be able to make it work even if it took some effort.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miguel
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Hey Guys, I saw that the gt500 paddles didn't work and it was a major bummer but with the paddles being wired directly to the trans for the DCT it made sense on why it didn't work. I've wanted nicer paddles (not stick on) for a while and since they haven't been made I decided to do it myself. For the last month I have been modeling prototypes for paddles that would utilize the existing half of the oem ones that connected to the steering wheel. I would then make a new cover section. They can be made out of Al, Ti, 304 SS, etc. depending on cost. After using a group of friends that care and don't care about cars as a focus group to hold and test the ergonomics and click feeling I finally got the shape exactly how I wanted, added tactile points, and made them larger to mimic an OEM design. My production ready paddles will be here mid July (one off) and I plan on making more and finding a vendor if there is any interest in others wanting them. Let me know what you guys think! I've posted some final models as well as plastic prototype pics on the steering wheel to see how the real ones would look. If there is interest I will hopefully have them ready to sell within 2-3 months to be cost effective.
back.PNG
Wheel.jpg
Early Wheel.jpg

front.PNG

Last edited:

alpha_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.forgitec.com
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT | 2019 BMW X5 | 2022 BMW M4
Thatā€™s awesome, bravo for being able to go that far! When I tested the GT500 paddle shifters, the part that I saw was different was the actually module inside the paddle shifters. I even ordered a pair of stock paddle shifters and tried taking them apart but I found it impossible to do with breaking it. Now, the company Iā€™m sponsored by somehow, someway made the first ever full paddle shifter replacements for the mustangs. I donā€™t know how they did it, I didnā€™t even believe they were gonna work, but they sent me the first pair and I installed them on my car yesterday and let me say, I f*cking am in love with them. Ford is an idiot for not doing this from the beginning. The paddles fit perfectly, they even have some tiny LED on each paddle which is hidden by the wheel to show theyā€™re I guess active, and I can shift from any point because theyā€™re so thick and big. I will include pictures below. I believe the TheCarbonCore will be opening for pre-orders soon but thought I would throw it out there
F8E60CDB-E031-42C9-A55B-9C8A66BDC0CC.jpeg
1EC74097-2D23-46AF-87D3-DA23D51C0AEF.jpeg
CEFC7CF9-E515-4D39-B05A-FC666A7BD639.jpeg

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
do you still have access to the little hole to remove the steering wheel?

Sponsored

ghostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2017 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s awesome, bravo for being able to go that far! When I tested the GT500 paddle shifters, the part that I saw was different was the actually module inside the paddle shifters. I even ordered a pair of stock paddle shifters and tried taking them apart but I found it impossible to do with breaking it. Now, the company Iā€™m sponsored by somehow, someway made the first ever full paddle shifter replacements for the mustangs. I donā€™t know how they did it, I didnā€™t even believe they were gonna work, but they sent me the first pair and I installed them on my car yesterday and let me say, I f*cking am in love with them. Ford is an idiot for not doing this from the beginning. The paddles fit perfectly, they even have some tiny LED on each paddle which is hidden by the wheel to show theyā€™re I guess active, and I can shift from any point because theyā€™re so thick and big. I will include pictures below. I believe the TheCarbonCore will be opening for pre-orders soon but thought I would throw it out there
F8E60CDB-E031-42C9-A55B-9C8A66BDC0CC.jpeg
1EC74097-2D23-46AF-87D3-DA23D51C0AEF.jpeg
CEFC7CF9-E515-4D39-B05A-FC666A7BD639.jpeg
:thumbsup: I love them! Does the plus and minus signs light up? Any idea how much they will cost?

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Hey Guys, I saw that the gt500 paddles didn't work and it was a major bummer but with the paddles being wired directly to the trans for the DCT it made sense on why it didn't work. I've wanted nicer paddles (not stick on) for a while and since they haven't been made I decided to do it myself. For the last month I have been modeling prototypes for paddles that would utilize the existing half of the oem ones that connected to the steering wheel. I would then make a new cover section. They can be made out of Al, Ti, 304 SS, etc. depending on cost. After using a group of friends that care and don't care about cars as a focus group to hold and test the ergonomics and click feeling I finally got the shape exactly how I wanted, added tactile points, and made them larger to mimic an OEM design. My production ready paddles will be here mid July (one off) and I plan on making more and finding a vendor if there is any interest in others wanting them. Let me know what you guys think! I've posted some final models as well as plastic prototype pics on the steering wheel to see how the real ones would look. If there is interest I will hopefully have them ready to sell within 2-3 months to be cost effective.
back.PNG
front.PNG
Wheel.jpg
Early Wheel.jpg
That is exactly the type of design I'd be interested in. The majority of the aftermarket paddles are far too large - may suit some tastes, but being slightly larger above and a lot larger below (as per the GT500 paddles) would be perfect for my liking.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miguel
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Thanks @WILDB! Today I just received the prototype aluminum paddles. Here are some updates for you guys! I think that Iā€™ll polish them before installing them since they have just been sandblasted. Tell me what you think!
BF6308B5-4620-4D96-A85C-8EB0FDE58F07.jpeg
B3D39A15-713E-4A5D-AE48-510AF2C4441F.jpeg
80DD9760-9D07-49C3-8A13-5EF5D6E02F82.jpeg
22FBE04E-160B-40CA-A24D-43E4D636D653.jpeg

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
They look awesome. Well done on doing something different.

Keen to see how you progress with these.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miguel
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Well I sanded the paddles down to a satin finish and installed them. They are rigid and can be pushed from any spot. Me and my fiancĆ©e did a quick drive after I reconnected everything to make sure they worked. Now Iā€™m gonna try to partner with a vendor to make more
1B02EAF8-D6B6-4EB7-93F6-4F4A4216D4E3.jpeg
Sponsored