Sponsored

2020 GT500 Oil Change and Low Car Lift Incompatibility Hack! (video)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thank you sir! The plate idea is BRILLIANT!

I typically do that too, but with trying to capture everything on video, I forgot it. I suspect it makes no difference though... I didnā€™t see any disruption in flow. The oil came out in a solid stream. If there was a vacuum, it would have been chugging, or whatever you call it when air goes back in to displace the leaving liquid.

I was surprised at the volume of oil that came out. I knew the car took 11.5 quarts, but Iā€™ve never drained that much out of a vehicle before.
It takes more than 11.5 qts. After dumping a full case in, it still wasn't full. That is the norm.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
It takes more than 11.5 qts. After dumping a full case in, it still wasn't full. That is the norm.
Good to know. I havenā€™t driven the car yet post oil change. Iā€™ll check the oil level.

Saratoga87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
I'm thinking after letting it sit overnight, 11.5 its will probably put it in the hash marks.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm thinking after letting it sit overnight, 11.5 its will probably put it in the hash marks.
Its near the top end of the hash marks, but not full. I'm not adding any more than 12 qts. I have about 1,000 miles on it now. I changed the oil at 500. The oil level has been consistent. I have not burned any oil so far, so I am ok with leaving the level where it is at.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Just went to the garage and checked my oil level... it looks perfect after adding the 11.5 quarts recommended in the manual. It is squarely in the middle of the hash marks.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Just went to the garage and checked my oil level... it looks perfect after adding the 11.5 quarts recommended in the manual. It is squarely in the middle of the hash marks.
Thats not perfect.

Saratoga87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
Yea thats kinda what I would of expected Goose. I remember reading that they say, when it falls anywhere within the hashmarks, do not add oil.
It's apparent you're a very thorough guy so I'll remember this thread when mine comes due. Thanks for the update

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yea thats kinda what I would of expected Goose. I remember reading that they say, when it falls anywhere within the hashmarks, do not add oil.
It's apparent you're a very thorough guy so I'll remember this thread when mine comes due. Thanks for the update
I believe it said that when checking the oil during periodic inspections

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
Jaime and Tim, I have always cracked open the filler cap before opening the drain to prevent a vacuum on all my vehicles. Good idea, bad or don't matter?
Thoughts?
Makes no difference. The driverā€™s side valve cover is open to the air filter. So itā€™s not possible to create a vacuum in the oil pan.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Makes no difference. The driverā€™s side valve cover is open to the air filter. So itā€™s not possible to create a vacuum in the oil pan.
For me it falls right in line with never putting a battery directly on the concrete. I donā€™t have to, but I do anyway. Lasting side effects of being raised by a life long career mechanic. Iā€™m sure I picked up many a mechanics tale, but I appreciate them just the same. I will also pass them sown to my kids, like I know what Iā€™m doing, lol.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
In this video, I show how to change the oil on the 2020 GT500, how to deal with the cartridge style oil filter, how to reset the oil life counter as well as a bonus of making my low CFTP compatible with my 2-post lift!

Great video. Thanks for posting.

One question. On the drain plug, did you make the yellow mark or is that done at the factory?

Never mind. After watching the video to the end you mentioned factory marks on the filter canister so I assume the drain plug marks are factory as well.

Did you pre-fill the canister with oil to get some oil in the filter? I am thinking when I do mine, I will put the filter in the canister, then fill with oil and let it soak a bit. Then quickly mount the filter to the block and put the canister on. I'm sure a little oil will drip off but better to have a pre-filled filter?
Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Great video. Thanks for posting.

One question. On the drain plug, did you make the yellow mark or is that done at the factory?

Never mind. After watching the video to the end you mentioned factory marks on the filter canister so I assume the drain plug marks are factory as well.

Did you pre-fill the canister with oil to get some oil in the filter? I am thinking when I do mine, I will put the filter in the canister, then fill with oil and let it soak a bit. Then quickly mount the filter to the block and put the canister on. I'm sure a little oil will drip off but better to have a pre-filled filter?
Thoughts?
The marks on the drain plug and filter housing were both factory marks. For my vehicles that have vertical oil filters, I pre-fill them with oil. This one is on a slant. I did not pre-fill it, but I did watch the oil pressure as I started the car and it immediately came up.

j.footit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500 HP
In this video, I show how to change the oil on the 2020 GT500, how to deal with the cartridge style oil filter, how to reset the oil life counter as well as a bonus of making my low CFTP compatible with my 2-post lift!

Really appreciated this video today. First at home oil change and was able to have everything ready thanks to your video.
Sponsored