Sponsored

2020 GT500 Oil Change and Low Car Lift Incompatibility Hack! (video)

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
In this video, I show how to change the oil on the 2020 GT500, how to deal with the cartridge style oil filter, how to reset the oil life counter as well as a bonus of making my low CFTP compatible with my 2-post lift!

Sponsored

Shopvac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2016 F150 Lariat
Iā€™m about to do my first oil change this weekend and came across your video. I read the manual and it advises to drain the oil from the filter housing. Apparently this prevents contaminates from back feeding into the system? Have you had any experience with doing it that way? Seems odd to me, Iā€™m curious what others are doing.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Iā€™m about to do my first oil change this weekend and came across your video. I read the manual and it advises to drain the oil from the filter housing. Apparently this prevents contaminates from back feeding into the system? Have you had any experience with doing it that way? Seems odd to me, Iā€™m curious what others are doing.
Are you coming to that conclusion based on this:

2EC6EBC1-4209-4DD9-A920-689B77E69377.jpeg

1FFDF2B4-24A2-4894-A154-D895E648B419.jpeg

If so, I believe that is an incorrect assessment. Removing the drain plug is not listed because it is obvious you do that during an oil change. I will stick with the tradition steps unless someone has info that states otherwise:

1. Remove drain plug/drain oil, replace plug
2. Remove filter
3. Install new filter
4. Add new oil

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Interesting info. Iā€™m not sure how important the order of the steps are. If it was important, youā€™d think it would be listed that way across all the literature for the car. I suspect it makes no difference as all of the oil is draining out regardless and the angle of the filter, plus the filter media itself would keep any contaminants trapped while draining the oil.

Thanks for the info!

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that may be the link to my post, or at the very least I have the same instructions.

It does not matter in what order you do it. If you pull the plug first, it will not vacuum suck the oil out of the filter cartridge and housing.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I also think you install the filter onto the engine and then install the canister.

Also, one thing that I do is put the drain plug back in while I work on the filter. When I am done with the filter, I pull the drain plug one more time. You'd be surprised how much more old oil comes out.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Good tips! Thanks!

Sponsored

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
Jaime and Tim, I have always cracked open the filler cap before opening the drain to prevent a vacuum on all my vehicles. Good idea, bad or don't matter?
Thoughts?

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
Or just leave the filler cap cracked open

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Jaime and Tim, I have always cracked open the filler cap before opening the drain to prevent a vacuum on all my vehicles. Good idea, bad or don't matter?
Thoughts?
Yes, I always remove the filler cap. That, along with a warm engine, really helps drain the oil.

Earlier I was trying to say that if you drain the oil pan before the filter, it does not suck the oil in the filter out of it. It will simply drain the oil pan.

Tomā€˜s point is also accurate. Leaving the drain plug out until the oil has 100% stopped dripping will do the trick, but it will take some time to completely stop. I like to do other things while it drains, otherwise I loose patience and give up, lol.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Another useful informational video Tim...thanks for sharing.

As an option to your process, I used a notched paper plate to channel oil away from the belly pan.

1607125948546.png
Thank you sir! The plate idea is BRILLIANT!

Thoughts?
I typically do that too, but with trying to capture everything on video, I forgot it. I suspect it makes no difference though... I didnā€™t see any disruption in flow. The oil came out in a solid stream. If there was a vacuum, it would have been chugging, or whatever you call it when air goes back in to displace the leaving liquid.

I was surprised at the volume of oil that came out. I knew the car took 11.5 quarts, but Iā€™ve never drained that much out of a vehicle before.
Sponsored