Sponsored

2020 GT500 Mustang Designer Hangs Out With StangMode

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
just saw this on Youtube. Gotta love StangMode’s videos. The guy is a cool cat and very personable. He works hard getting the good info and presents it in an enjoyable way.

Surprised that he was able to hang out with the GT500 designer. Shared some good stuff - like how the renders are off...

You gotta see the video, so here it is. Check it out:

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
He actually said some renders are close, some they laugh at, but the actual is the best one. It was a biased answer, I didn’t get much from that. ???

OP
OP

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I think we know pretty much what it will look like. We were shown much of the car is Fords CGI.

The thing that stands out to is how confident and excited about the GT500 and how much they enjoyed talking about it and having fun with the secrecy. It all lends to something special on the way.

You also get the sense that the 500 looks really good.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
That Blue colored render is from the last issue of Automobile magazine. The writers from Automobile mag claim they have seen the GT500 and say it may be competition for the 2019 Corvette. They were very impressed by what they saw .

Lawguy85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach 1 FJG
Stangmode can come off as obnoxious at times, but the guy must be a great person given the unprecedented access he's given with a relatively small subscriber base/average views. This was definitely one of his better videos, as he let the designer riff and explain the process. Not much about the 500, but it was amusing watching him try to hold his tongue on the Camaro refresh, point out the differences between OEM and aftermarket design/fit and explain the philosophical differences between Mustang and Camaro.

Sponsored

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
Good watch and a shout out to m6g at 12:30 when interviewing the chief designer

This does make me more excited but I didnt see the part when they said some renders were close?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Ford does a better job in preventing leaks than the CIA, the FBI, or the White House. Those that know keep their mouths shut. As painful as it is for enthusiasts it no doubt helps the manufacturer to deliver the finished product under their own terms and conditions.

Regarding the video, I was surprised at Stevens age. Ford has a pretty talented design staff and I trust they chose the right mix of people when laying a pen to this one. Personally, I'm interested in how much was pushed into the design in terms of homage or throwback. I'm a big fan of minimalism, hence why I had the latest GT350. I don't need or want billboard size S H E L B Y nomenclature plastered on the car in every nook and cranny. As long as it is done in a way I can remove it "cleanly" I'm good. I want function and form with no gaudy. The Flavor Flave clock size snake/rear emblem will hopefully be the only items that cross the line.

And for the love of God Ford, you made a bazillion Fox chassis cars without having to put side emblem holes in the fenders. I don't understand the regression here. Now that you've shitcanned the holes in the rotors can you maybe carry that theme forward elsewhere?

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I've been saying.... that the GT 500 will be a refined & meaner 350. (It is something, of a more elegant breed.)

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
At 7:50 he calls the white 50th LE a California Special and talks about the corral being from the pony pack, even though he clearly talks about the glass louvers on quarter windows being specific to only that car. Hopefully it's just a slip up. You'd think a designer on the Mustang would know the ins and outs of every model before the one they're designing.
I'm pretty sure that's @JWS car (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-le-you-dont-see-this-every-day.79129/#post-1793619)
I think you may need to watch that again. Because if you notice, none of that front end (of the white 50th) is "original" to the car.

Reactions: JWS

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
he pointed out the cool louvers and the skirting on the other car. Fore shadowing?