Sponsored

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
if you're a mustang fan..the 500 is where we all wanna be...yeah.it's a "uincorn" for the "unwashed masses"(base gt owners),but i'd like to wrap my paws around that wheel and put the spurs to her...but we still love you porsche!
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
This is pretty nice win until you look at last years winner.....Not sure it means anything other than a way to sell magazines/subscriptions/clicks......
How much seat time do you have in last year's winning car? It is possible for a small FWD car to be fun to drive.

I felt the exact same way last year, but I looked a little closer at the Veloster N helping my son find a daily drivable car with an HPDE warranty and that is one hell of a track car for the money. He bought a turbo 4 1le instead. It's amazing the laptime performance you can get for around $30K these days.

It goes to show you they don't go by just laptimes in the POCY, which speaks to the 500's overall brilliance.
Agreed. I wish my FiST had an e-diff like the Veloster N. IMO the diff is the one area really lacking in the FiST. Too much wheelspin too much of the time.

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
How much seat time do you have in last year's winning car? It is possible for a small FWD car to be fun to drive.

Agreed. I wish my FiST had an e-diff like the Veloster N. IMO the diff is the one area really lacking in the FiST. Too much wheelspin too much of the time.
I personally just can't with FWD, just can't. Not even when AWD is tacked on. I really do appreciate the renaissance in cheap performance with hot hatches these days, it's just, why FWD? For a ground-up designed car RWD should be easier to package and cheaper, so it's not even a question of cheaping out. The problem is they're shoehorning performance into base economy cars not designed for it, so it's just unfortunate that FWD is the default these days for most economy cars.

Don't get me wrong I've owned an Integra and a Golf in my time, both fun cars to throw around. But there will never, never be anything to replace the feeling of rotating a car through a turn, it just rains on the whole rest of a car's parade, it's all I can think about on the street let alone if I was trying to use it on the track! No matter how good it is dynamically, how fast around a track, or how much of a bang for the buck it is, it just feels like a waste in the end.

I guess most of all it's sad to me that RWD has continued to exist but only in more "premium" markets for some reason--dedicated sports cars and fancy European luxury cars--when RWD should be the layout of the people! Why are average joes the ones stuck with a much more complex FWD layout? Oh well. Maybe with advancements in stability control etc to the point where RWD is basically idiot proof we might see more of a resurgence, who knows

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Congrats to the GT500 for picking up another award. ZRacerLE , please get your son to weigh the turbo 4 1le he just bought. I am curious as to how little it weighs.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Ford should make it an option just as CFTP owners should be given the choice to have rear seats if they want them.
But Tob, unless the driver only weighs a hundred pounds, with the weight restriction, you couldn't put very big children let alone adults, in the back. :-)

KB

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Trust me, I know. It's the thought that counts.

:)

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Congrats to the GT500 for picking up another award. ZRacerLE , please get your son to weigh the turbo 4 1le he just bought. I am curious as to how little it weighs.
Should be 3350lb, but we haven't weighed it. I've thrown it around a little and it definitely feels 500lbs lighter than my ZLE. He'll be kicking my ass at autox and short tracks soon there's no doubt.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Actually i have no seat time in ANY of the cars from last year. And i get it, i have nothing against that car or small FWD cars in general. And i am sure they are fun to drive but I have fun in every rent-a-car I have ever rented yet i don't want to own one.

Just saying in the lineup for 2020: C8, Lamborghini, Mclaren, GTR, Porsche, just to name a few you are not going to convince me the Hyundai is the better car, or the car I want. Fun.....well maybe...it likely is the only car i could afford but not the car i want.

They might as well add practicality and passenger count to there criteria and maybe then the Dodge Caravan might have a chance at winning...

GT 500 760

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 ........Past Shelby’s 2019 GT350R, 2009 GT500 KR, 1970 GT500 ,1969 GT350 ,1966 GT350.
I will say the BMW and Volvo look like bad designed mustangs. Hats off to the GT500. It’s faster looks much better and cost less. Maybe that’s why we all own one.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Actually i have no seat time in ANY of the cars from last year. And i get it, i have nothing against that car or small FWD cars in general. And i am sure they are fun to drive but I have fun in every rent-a-car I have ever rented yet i don't want to own one.

Just saying in the lineup for 2020: C8, Lamborghini, Mclaren, GTR, Porsche, just to name a few you are not going to convince me the Hyundai is the better car, or the car I want. Fun.....well maybe...it likely is the only car i could afford but not the car i want.

They might as well add practicality and passenger count to there criteria and maybe then the Dodge Caravan might have a chance at winning...
Amen brother. That stunt rendered the performance car of the year award meaningless in one fell swoop. How are you supposed to be excited or happy for this years winner. When last years winner was a 27k economy car on juice? They lowered the bar so far last year there is no coming back! Which is a shame for every REAL performance car that wins the award moving forward like the GT500.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Amen brother. That stunt rendered the performance car of the year award meaningless in one fell swoop. How are you supposed to be excited or happy for this years winner. When last years winner was a 27k economy car on juice? They lowered the bar so far last year there is no coming back! Which is a shame for every REAL performance car that wins the award moving forward like the GT500.
100% agree

It's called the '
Performance Car of the Year!
Not 'what is the best to get the weekly groceries' or 'Cheapest' or the 'best on gas'
This was their lame reason to disqualify the better cars.
" As we sat around a table discussing the week, competitors dropped from contention one by one. The McLaren, for all its supercar glory, could be simultaneously dull and exhausting at a public pace. Gearbox complaints felled the Corvette from grace; every judge wanted an honest manual in place of the dual-clutch, in part because the manual C7 in similar trim was more joyous and alive. And the 911, so close to perfect, still felt big on those back roads. The Lotus, with its wailing V-6, missed the mark in refinement and, like the GT-R, is an old car trying to stay young, not so much moving the sports-car game forward as preserving it in amber. Even the Miata came up short, hamstrung by a folding hardtop that makes installation of a proper roll bar difficult—necessary hardware if you want to take the car to the track. "

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I personally just can't with FWD, just can't. Not even when AWD is tacked on. I really do appreciate the renaissance in cheap performance with hot hatches these days, it's just, why FWD? For a ground-up designed car RWD should be easier to package and cheaper, so it's not even a question of cheaping out. The problem is they're shoehorning performance into base economy cars not designed for it, so it's just unfortunate that FWD is the default these days for most economy cars.

Don't get me wrong I've owned an Integra and a Golf in my time, both fun cars to throw around. But there will never, never be anything to replace the feeling of rotating a car through a turn, it just rains on the whole rest of a car's parade, it's all I can think about on the street let alone if I was trying to use it on the track! No matter how good it is dynamically, how fast around a track, or how much of a bang for the buck it is, it just feels like a waste in the end.

I guess most of all it's sad to me that RWD has continued to exist but only in more "premium" markets for some reason--dedicated sports cars and fancy European luxury cars--when RWD should be the layout of the people! Why are average joes the ones stuck with a much more complex FWD layout? Oh well. Maybe with advancements in stability control etc to the point where RWD is basically idiot proof we might see more of a resurgence, who knows
I agree RWD is better for performance. They are going away because people don't buy them is my guess. And they are more expensive to produce. FWD is a lot simpler. RWD requires a lot more structure through the body of the car, because you are transmitting the power from the front to the back.

Well, based on that criteria, no American car should ever win, because there are always cars out there that cost 6 or 7 figures that are better.

People constantly complain "oh but I could buy 2 of my car for the price of a GT3". Tough, the GT3 is better. This year it's better, last year it was better, next year it will be better.

So I guess from now on only the best car regardless of price should win.

Yeah, when the GT350R won PCOTY, that was a stupid decision because there were faster cars out there. Who cares that those other cars cost well over $100k? No Mustang should ever win that award. It's just a hot rodded rental car with a cheap steel chassis and McPherson struts. Garbage and anyone who likes them is foolish.
Sponsored