Sponsored

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
In deference to Randy's comment, wouldn't you say there is a distinct difference in this dynamic that was accentuated due to much different track types? I'm getting at the elevation change difference between those two tracks and how that impacts weight transfer...
Not for elevation change, but i'm forgetting that Laguna Seca is SUPER slick, so his comment is probably relevant for Laguna, but not most other tracks.
Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Surprising how he screwed up T2
Double apex is only for racing not to leave the door open... the fast/right line is a single apex.... just saying.......
Double apex for heavy car is faster thru T2

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great time vs the 1LE but seems like the track was slower that day. The 500 didn't beat the .1 RS time (whereas in other tests should equal or beat eg NCM equivalent tire or Chuckwalla vs the .2), Ferrari was slower than 488 GTB. At Laguna, have to remember last year added run off after T6 and T2 so in theory should enable cars to go faster if utilizing all the exit, which Randy did.

Given the difficulty of the 350R and the GT3/RS passing sound @ Laguna with all the trick GPS and remote valve closures, laguna pipes, etc, no way the GT500 gonna pass sound on a typical HDPE day (90-92 dB).

Last edited:

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The fact that a car that is about 700 lbs heavier was within ~ 2 seconds of that model Viper is rather impressive.

Note the speed as the Viper crossed the finish line.

Screenshot_20201228-120833_Chrome.jpg

And the GT500...

Screenshot_20201228-120717_Chrome.jpg
1:28.7 is the best time the Viper did driven by Randy at Laguna and a production lap record until was broken by GT2 RS and Senna, driven by Randy (and also double apexed at T2;))

Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No it’s not but let’s agree to disagree
Tell Randy he left .3 secs on the table in the numerous production lap records he set on that track using the double. :like:

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I always double apex. It can be just as fast and sometimes faster than a long, late, single apex because you can brake later and cover less distance.

Comparisons are pointless unless they are done back to back on new tires. Not in the morning vs afternoon, let alone different days. That will skew the results by second(s).

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
That’s nothing, I've done consistent 1:23’s in simulation of course, Assetto Corsa Competizione in a gt3 Bmw m-6.. 😂

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always double apex. It can be just as fast and sometimes faster than a long, late, single apex because you can brake later and cover less distance.

Comparisons are pointless unless they are done back to back on new tires. Not in the morning vs afternoon, let alone different days. That will skew the results by second(s).
Oh yeah, there is a TON of daily variation at Laguna...as you mentioned, it gets really slippery and the am is almost always faster (by 2 seconds sometimes) vs the afternoon. Would be curious if that's a thing seen more one the west coast because of wide intra-day temperature variation.

Would love to see a Laguna Lap with you at the helm! The driving you did with SpeedPhenom during one of his track days was insane! :clap:

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think that comment was for a bit of dramatic effect. At the Las Vegas press launch, I encouraged (well, pushed) the magazine journalists and influencers to go full throttle at the apex, to show how well the GT500 CFTP puts down power. Most were blown away with how well the car was able to handle it, and most didn't even have traction or stability control engage.

I then demonstrated when giving hot laps (with everything turned off) going full throttle at the apex of these corners and the car did not step out or spin its tires, it just launched the car out of the corner.
I found the car very forgiving in that regard. The car may step out a bit, but it gets right back to business with a small correction.

Sponsored

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
Tell Randy he left .3 secs on the table in the numerous production lap records he set on that track using the double. :like:
I'm more worried about the 8 or 10 sandbags he left in the trunk.....

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I found the car very forgiving in that regard. The car may step out a bit, but it gets right back to business with a small correction.
I noticed the same thing in Charlotte at the Track Attack. Not the fastest way around the track but it sure is fun.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Oh yeah, there is a TON of daily variation at Laguna...as you mentioned, it gets really slippery and the am is almost always faster (by 2 seconds sometimes) vs the afternoon. Would be curious if that's a thing seen more one the west coast because of wide intra-day temperature variation.

Would love to see a Laguna Lap with you at the helm! The driving you did with SpeedPhenom during one of his track days was insane! :clap:
I'm not sure about 'more' prevalent on the west coast. Most tracks can vary over 1 second over the course of the day. Especially VIR. That's why I don't put much value on most of these journalist tests and 'competitions'.

That day was nuts at Chuckwalla. I was the first car to drive on the newly repaved surface (in a GT500) and it was like ice, and the track started to come up, creating over an inch of gravel off-line by the day's end.

FWIW - I was coaching a guy in a McLaren 600LT (the same type of car SP just bought). The car had a new set of tires at Buttonwillow and by the end of the day, the fall off of the tire and track was 3 seconds. The car also barely made it 2 sessions before needing to be refilled (the McLaren 720S couldn't make it past a session) and both cars needed new tires by the end of the day. MAYBE they would last another day before cording, but they'll be seconds off. -Not really any better than what SP complained about in regards to the GT500.

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
Fun video.

Already did one track day in my 500 at Laguna Seca and hope to do some more though I expect it can only be unlimited sound or 105 days in the 500. 107!!! That’s loud. Hope a simple solution comes forward to help with sound.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Just be sure the temperature is nice and warm. :-)
Sponsored