jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Well shit, now i want to drive one on track.

He was flying on that lap, and i know the ZLE is fast too, but when they showed the time for the ACR, well, my jaw dropped
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I am by no means GT500 fanboy (actually fanboyism of any kind is extremely annoying for me) but ACR has really special tires made by Kumho (V720 ACR) made specifically for this car and only available in two sizes (for Viper's front and rear wheels). I know for a fact they do make a substantial difference, especially at temperature - in autocross events with no street tire limitations, everyone that could was trying to fit those two sizes on their cars.

Bottom line - some of the ACR's advantage in that lap time (assuming everything else was equal which it wasn't) is tires.

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
I am by no means GT500 fanboy (actually fanboyism of any kind is extremely annoying for me) but ACR has really special tires made by Kumho (V720 ACR) made specifically for this car and only available in two sizes (for Viper's front and rear wheels). I know for a fact they do make a substantial difference, especially at temperature - in autocross events with no street tire limitations, everyone that could was trying to fit those two sizes on their cars.

Bottom line - some of the ACR's advantage in that lap time (assuming everything else was equal which it wasn't) is tires.
We’re also dealing with a whole different level of aero with the ACR......

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

2020 GT500 CFTP 1:33.84

2018 zl1 1le 1:34.30

viper acr I believe is still the fastest American car at laguna with a 1:28.65
Great video. Will likely become a classic.

However, Lieberman's quote ("The GT500 beats up the GT350, takes its lunch money, and buys more gas.") is like bragging about beating up your little brother.

Hopefully the journalists will continue to find more appropriate & useful comparisons.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The fact that a car that is about 700 lbs heavier was within ~ 2 seconds of that model Viper is rather impressive.

Note the speed as the Viper crossed the finish line.

Screenshot_20201228-120833_Chrome.jpg

And the GT500...

Screenshot_20201228-120717_Chrome.jpg

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
With the Viper ACR, I remember reading an article where the guy spent a week with the ACR and had questioned where he would sleep, I think Dodge told him to sleep on the Wing. That wing provided over 500Lbs of downforce at 100+ mph. I don't remember all the specs as it been awhile since I had read that, but thought that was funny.
Don't quote on this, but pretty sure I read an article about that.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then imagine how badly it would have done if it also had another 700 lbs even with the crazy aero. Says a heck of a lot about the phatass Mustang.

OP
OP
Classic Lover

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
Then imagine how badly it would have done if it also had another 700 lbs even with the crazy aero. Says a heck of a lot about the phatass Mustang.
I don’t think anyone is bad mouthing the GT500, Ford did an incredible job. As much as I like the viper I still think the zl1 1le is the best American performance car for the money. Less than one sec difference in a manual car with 650 hp is incredibly good. Basically I think they’re all very cool 😎

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think anyone is badmouthing the GT500 here either. And having tracked with ZLE's I agree, fantastic value on a great performing car.

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Randy said:
It also demands respect. "You have to be very judicious with the power," Pobst said. "You got to have that egg between your foot and the gas pedal in the middle of the corner and just roll on the power. And if you do that, it transfers weight and just hooks up. It's possible to spin up the back tires in second gear, third, and fourth, but if you're just a little careful, it hooks up."
Given some other current, ongoing threads here I grinned at this from Motor Trend's article tied in with this...

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/for...t500-pros-cons-review-best-drivers-car-video/

2020-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-18.jpg

So. Fucking. Badass.
I think that comment was for a bit of dramatic effect. At the Las Vegas press launch, I encouraged (well, pushed) the magazine journalists and influencers to go full throttle at the apex, to show how well the GT500 CFTP puts down power. Most were blown away with how well the car was able to handle it, and most didn't even have traction or stability control engage.

I then demonstrated when giving hot laps (with everything turned off) going full throttle at the apex of these corners and the car did not step out or spin its tires, it just launched the car out of the corner.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In deference to Randy's comment, wouldn't you say there is a distinct difference in this dynamic that was accentuated due to much different track types? I'm getting at the elevation change difference between those two tracks and how that impacts weight transfer...
Sponsored