Sponsored

2020 GT500 Governed Top Speed of 180MPH

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
...the concept of limiting one models top end speed for the sake of protecting the desireability of anothers? Well...
Everyone's a winner...
Sponsored

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
You can add 30mph from the 1/4 to get a 1/2 mile mph. Reverse it, 180-30=150. Do you think a stock gt500 will hit 150mph in the 1/4?
So logic states, very few places will even allow a car to hit 180mph, let-alone a stock one, which is the case here. to go above and beyond, you will need a tune, which eliminates ANY governed top speed argument
I'm sorry I ever doubted your ricer-math and logic. My bad.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I'm sorry I ever doubted your ricer-math and logic. My bad.
i host drag /roll/ 1/2 mile events. its not ricer math when i have a database of thousands of cars and unique setups to confirm it

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
i host drag /roll/ 1/2 mile events. its not ricer math when i have a database of thousands of cars and unique setups to confirm it
Then you know that's wrong. None of the cars I've half miled have ever just been a simple add 30mph to the 1/4 trap speed. Which ones have you hosted?

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
s1.JPG
s2.JPG
s3.JPG
Then you know that's wrong. None of the cars I've half miled have ever just been a simple add 30mph to the 1/4 trap speed. Which ones have you hosted?
yes it has. a N/A or s/c car car will add 29-31mph to its 1/4, a turbo car and under 800rwhp will add 31-33. 800-1200hp /E85 will add 33-35, big power cars there are too many variables. what was your 1/2 mile time again? was a legit 1/2 mile or the no fly zone rolling start BS?

Do I need to show more? the 1st event to incorporate a full drag system, and VBOX verified before each day to confirm accuracy.. ( WannaGofast is the only other event that is accurate-per our own cars, and customer cars vbox & dragy tested) cant fight facts

Last edited:

Sponsored

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
s1.JPG
s2.JPG
s3.JPG

yes it has. a N/A or s/c car car will add 29-31mph to its 1/4, a turbo car and under 800rwhp will add 31-33. 800-1200hp /E85 will add 33-35, big power cars there are too many variables. what was your 1/2 mile time again? was a legit 1/2 mile or the no fly zone rolling start BS?

Do I need to show more? the 1st event to incorporate a full drag system, and VBOX verified before each day to confirm accuracy.. ( WannaGofast is the only other event that is accurate-per our own cars, and customer cars vbox & dragy tested) cant fight facts
Actually your data looks correct but like I said it isnt a simple 30mph add onto the 1/4 trap speed as shown in the data. Average stock 15-17 GTs trap 131-134mph in the half. Mine stock went 119mph 1/4 (Gateway International Raceway) and 143.2mph 1/2 (Hensley field/Dallas Wannagofast). I'd have to dig up my slips but I know my SHO daily didn't pick up 30mph in the half either. I don't count NoFlyZone or Shift Sector results due to no definitive start.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
The 180mph limit tells me that Ford has cut corners with this car.

The tire argument is BS as there are many, many applications with Michelin Cup tires exceeding 200.

My best guess is that they have not engineered the aero kit (be it the wing, vented hood, louvers, or just the actual integrity of the rear decklid) to withstand the higher pressures that come with higher downforce. Or it could be the giant GT4 wing causes the whole car to squat at higher velocity. The whole "we did 2 years of aero research in 6 months" thing would seem to indicate this is the case. Or perhaps that because they haven't done actual testing at vmax, the legal department is forcing them to put a limiter.

No matter, it's a clear sign of a cut corner on what is supposed to be Ford's ultimate sportscar offering, for which they will be charging a hefty price.

With the '13 GT500 Ford was proud of 200mph. And that car had a ton of aero work to keep the front end in check. a fact that Ford marketing was keen to show off. It just doesn't make sense that suddenly the latest and greatest GT500 gets slower.

Somebody in R&D cheaped out. Disappointing.

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
The 180mph limit tells me that Ford has cut corners with this car.

The tire argument is BS as there are many, many applications with Michelin Cup tires exceeding 200.

My best guess is that they have not engineered the aero kit (be it the wing, vented hood, louvers, or just the actual integrity of the rear decklid) to withstand the higher pressures that come with higher downforce. Or it could be the giant GT4 wing causes the whole car to squat at higher velocity. The whole "we did 2 years of aero research in 6 months" thing would seem to indicate this is the case. Or perhaps that because they haven't done actual testing at vmax, the legal department is forcing them to put a limiter.

No matter, it's a clear sign of a cut corner on what is supposed to be Ford's ultimate sportscar offering, for which they will be charging a hefty price.

With the '13 GT500 Ford was proud of 200mph. And that car had a ton of aero work to keep the front end in check. a fact that Ford marketing was keen to show off. It just doesn't make sense that suddenly the latest and greatest GT500 gets slower.

Somebody in R&D cheaped out. Disappointing.
Corners cut in $80k car. Hard to believe

1. Where is carbon fibre tub?
2. Where are the carbon fibre racing buckets
3. Where is the concierge service to have custom leather, carbon fibre trim, historic paint?
4. Etc etc

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
I agree with Tomster. Over 180 mph the rear wing will add additional down force to the deck lid and cave it in.
The GT4 and FP350S have deck lid bracing and reports of them denting from the down force.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Actually your data looks correct but like I said it isnt a simple 30mph add onto the 1/4 trap speed as shown in the data. Average stock 15-17 GTs trap 131-134mph in the half. Mine stock went 119mph 1/4 (Gateway International Raceway) and 143.2mph 1/2 (Hensley field/Dallas Wannagofast). I'd have to dig up my slips but I know my SHO daily didn't pick up 30mph in the half either. I don't count NoFlyZone or Shift Sector results due to no definitive start.
AT least we agree on some things lol. and yes, there is no actual definitive answer for any performance metric as weight, ability DA fuel traction, HEADWIND comes into play. But on average, 29-31mph for most real street cars ( this would include GT500) Heatsoak is a big issue with most cars, so even 600-800hp cars, with e85 and better turbos and ICs will achieve on the higher end of that.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Maybe they are afraid of the Zion Williamson effect due to the weight. Hundreds of college basketball kids wear Nike sneakers every day and they are fine. You put 270lb Zion Williamson in the same shoes and it's blow out time! They are still yet to say how heavy this thing is going to be.
I think it is really going to be over 4000 lbs. It may be a tank which is a disappointment to me. I am sad for that if it is and hoping it is not. With all of the weight of the bigger supercharger up front and the automatic, it will weigh heavy.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I guess someone did wake up one day and decided to impose some arbitrary limit on the top end speed of the 500.

An interesting article.
Maybe it will give Ford room to grow and a future option to remove the restriction.

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
I’m in for a base car anyway and will be bolt-on/tuned.
I was hoping for more than 180mph capability and it probably will be governor lifted, still with plans to do some 1/2 and Mile events this is concerning.
Not a deal breaker.
-J

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I’m waiting for the Camaro boys to come over and say well you’ll probably beat me around a track or down the strip. But if we both race til we run out of gas. I should eventually pass you with my awesome top speed advantage.:crazy:

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
I can’t believe all the bitching over an easily defeated electronic governor.
Sponsored