Sponsored

2020 GT500 Governed Top Speed of 180MPH

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Which people? The ones watching or the ones running it?
Either

People were very interested in what the new ZR1 Vette ran at Texas Mile. I've seen lots of stock Huracans, 488s, Vipers, Hellcats, etc at top speed events I've ran at.
They will run it stock once then forget all about it.

How fast did you get in the TM.
154mph banging off the rev limiter in 5th(3.73 gears lol). Had a sketchy tune and lowering springs at the time. Stock otherwise.
Sponsored

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
I don't buy that only 180mph because of tires or any of that air flow crap. The 2013-2014 GT500 was a 200mph car with shit tires from Goodyear on it. The new GT500 is more slippery than the old one. This car should have been closer to 210mph maybe. With that 180mph cap tells me the new GT500 is nothing more than a new GT350 R with a blower on it. :lipssealed::curse::angry:

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
A 130mph 1/4 mile car will NOT hit 180 in the 1/2 mile and struggle to hit 180 in a mile
You never mentioned 1/4 mile in the other post and you're assuming it'll only trap 130mph in the 1/4.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
"So I called Ford, and my hunch was on the money. The Mustang GT500 will be computer-governed to a maximum of 180mph."

Here is the reason why:
A top speed governor means the most expensive version doesn’t have the slowest top speed, even if it’s for a good reason.

Tires are also a good reason for the limiter. When you combine high-speed, cornering loads, and extra downforce on a road tire—even one engineered for extreme performance like the GT500’s optional Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s—the physical demands are immense. A governed top speed ensures a bigger envelope of safety for those crucial bits of rubber.

ARTICLE CAN BE SEEN HERE
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/03/13/2020-gt500-limited-to-180-mph
Tires seems a silly reason considering how quickly they will be replaced.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I don't buy that only 180mph because of tires or any of that air flow crap. The 2013-2014 GT500 was a 200mph car with shit tires from Goodyear on it. The new GT500 is more slippery than the old one. This car should have been closer to 210mph maybe. With that 180mph cap tells me the new GT500 is nothing more than a new GT350 R with a blower on it. :lipssealed::curse::angry:
So...don't buy it?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Tires seems a silly reason considering how quickly they will be replaced.
Have you ever seen a blowout on track before on a street car? It's not exactly a pretty sight. I'm not saying I agree or disagree but I would have to think considering data gathering these days, it's not completely out of the ballpark of a reasonable concern.

Think about some drag tires. They're rated for "over 100" MPH but manufacturers say to use them at high speeds only on a prepped surface. Z rated tires means they're rated for over 149MPH but don't specify how much. It's actually kinda on you if you kill one. W is 168. The Challenger Demon is limited to 160 something MPH because those tires are not suitable for sustained speeds over that.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Have you ever seen a blowout on track before on a street car? It's not exactly a pretty sight. I'm not saying I agree or disagree but I would have to think considering data gathering these days, it's not completely out of the ballpark of a reasonable concern.

Think about some drag tires. They're rated for "over 100" MPH but manufacturers say to use them at high speeds only on a prepped surface. Z rated tires means they're rated for over 149MPH but don't specify how much. It's actually kinda on you if you kill one. W is 168. The Challenger Demon is limited to 160 something MPH because those tires are not suitable for sustained speeds over that.
It is a horrific sight. The wall at turn 4 in Daytona has an area that is decorated with impact marks every year due to tire delamination (blow outs). This is the reason I back off the throttle a bit heading into turn 4 (despite my attention to proper pressures, temperatures, and alignment).

The tire delaminates usually because of a lack of tire pressure. This creates an undue burden on the sidewall and the tire begins to shred itself apart. This usually inflicts significant damage to your car, and the car behind you. Aside from that, there is the controllability issue that ensues. Most would think to get on the brakes. All that does is aggravate the controllability issue due to the drag differential and loss of partial traction.

Anyway, I guess the point being made is that maybe this subject has something to do with the speed limit on the 500. I read the article that someone posted and a lot of the points made make more sense now. Unless you have an OEM vehicle that has been designed to go 200+ MPH, then people probably shouldn't go 200+ MPH in that vehicle. I always say there is a difference between 140 and 150, a bigger difference at 160, pucker factor near 170, and I cant imagine having a problem at 200+ MPH.... Tires are always my biggest concern operating at speed.

I believe the cup 2 tires are Y speed rated. This is a 186+ MPH tire. I don't know how much more speed the plus means (kinda like 700+ HP), but cup 2's are used on cars that are in the 200+ MPH class (918 spyder and others for example). So I doubt the speed limitation is related to tires.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
It is a horrific sight. The wall at turn 4 in Daytona has an area that is decorated with impact marks every year due to tire delamination (blow outs). This is the reason I back off the throttle a bit heading into turn 4 (despite my attention to proper pressures, temperatures, and alignment).

The tire delaminates usually because of a lack of tire pressure. This creates an undue burden on the sidewall and the tire begins to shred itself apart. This usually inflicts significant damage to your car, and the car behind you. Aside from that, there is the controllability issue that ensues. Most would think to get on the brakes. All that does is aggravate the controllability issue due to the drag differential and loss of partial traction.

Anyway, I guess the point being made is that maybe this subject has something to do with the speed limit on the 500. I read the article that someone posted and a lot of the points made make more sense now. Unless you have an OEM vehicle that has been designed to go 200+ MPH, then people probably shouldn't go 200+ MPH in that vehicle. I always say there is a difference between 140 and 150, a bigger difference at 160, pucker factor near 170, and I cant imagine having a problem at 200+ MPH.... Tires are always my biggest concern operating at speed.

I believe the cup 2 tires are Y speed rated. This is a 186+ MPH tire. I don't know how much more speed the plus means (kinda like 700+ HP), but cup 2's are used on cars that are in the 200+ MPH class (918 spyder and others for example). So I doubt the speed limitation is related to tires.
Your my hero, dude, seriously. I have yet to go over 135 in my GT350. I always keep thinking about that corner in front of me. 180 is fast enough for me. But I have always thought that Ford usually takes the safe route when it comes to performance which is why Chevy and Dodge keep one-upping them in top speeds and the hp wars.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Your my hero, dude, seriously. I have yet to go over 135 in my GT350. I always keep thinking about that corner in front of me.
150 here. Achieved at Road America. And unlike many other tracks, RA has very little runoff.

Here's a vid of a lap, not my car but a 350 nonethless. Look at all of those walls just begging for a new friend...

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The tire delaminates usually because of a lack of tire pressure.
And of course what are we always doing? Taking pressure out before we hit grid.

I believe that speed rating is correct as well however they do have different spec. But what that really means for speed capability, I will say I don't know either. The Merc GTR AMG uses Corvette spec PSC2's and that car is capable of 200 MPH but the Z06/Z07 Stage 3 can only huff about high 180's (only...) due to drag and Chevy is well aware of this.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This car should have been closer to 210mph maybe. With that 180mph cap tells me the new GT500 is nothing more than a new GT350 R with a blower on it.
Blower, forged motor, new aero including a package that produces 550-lbs of downforce, model specific hood/front fenders/fascia/grill, better cooling, bigger brakes, and a unique to the model (and to this market segment) 7-speed DCT ... I don't know, it seems like more of an upgrade over a GT350 than your '14 was over a plain ol' GT :)

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Blower, forged motor, new aero including a package that produces 550-lbs of downforce, model specific hood/front fenders/fascia/grill, better cooling, bigger brakes, and a unique to the model (and to this market segment) 7-speed DCT ... I don't know, it seems like more of an upgrade over a GT350 than your '14 was over a plain ol' GT :)
The main improvement is the DCT. The rest you listed could have just been an upgrade:crackup:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The main improvement is the DCT. The rest you listed could have just been an upgrade:crackup:
But isn't that the SOP high[er] performance domestic model variants (and many imports for that matter)? Upgrade, improve an existing model/chassis?

Z06 = GS + Supercharger, ZR1 = Z06 with bigger supercharger and additional aero, Hellcat = Scatpack + supercharger (technically difference displacement), Hellcat Redeye, Hellcat + bigger supercharger, Hellcat Redeye Widebody = Redeye + bigger fenders and tires.

I'm not sure how much anyone expects to be done where it's simply an improvement over an existing vehicle[?]

The fact that the GT500 got a slick, unique-to-the-model DCT as a major differentiator is pretty f***ing cool.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
AKA, the next evolution.

Oh and by the way, acceleration to top speed will be much quicker thereby reducing lap times on fast tracks.
Sponsored