Sponsored

2020 GT500 Governed Top Speed of 180MPH

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Texas Mile, Arkansas Mile, WannaGoFast, Shift-Sector, and NoFlyZone events to name a few.

Why would stock performance matter at any of those events? I've run the Texas Mile and the only cars that people cared about were very far from stock.
Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
I pretty much do. Minimal mods.
I understand that.
But my point is, if there’s something a potential buyer doesn’t like, then change it when you purchase it. It’s a mustang, nearly everything is available or able to be modified.
Unless it’s performance parts for a FPC voodoo engine. (Cams, intake manifold, etc)

I wouldn’t buy a GT500 and yank the DCT out and replace it with a manual, I wouldn’t buy the carbon package and swap the carbon wheels for forged wheels, I wouldn’t bitch about the Cobra on the grille and complain that ford put the wrong one on.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Why would stock performance matter at any of those events? I've run the Texas Mile and the only cars that people cared about were very far from stock.
Which people? The ones watching or the ones running it?

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
People were very interested in what the new ZR1 Vette ran at Texas Mile. I've seen lots of stock Huracans, 488s, Vipers, Hellcats, etc at top speed events I've ran at.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
How fast did you get in the TM.

Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
IF this is truly speed limited I feel Ford failed with this if no other reason than marketing.

A better solution would have been to allow a speed limiter on/off function either via a button toggle or even an old school key fob. It removes the limiter and removes litigation which I am sure is the only reason Ford would do this.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
IF this is truly speed limited I feel Ford failed with this if no other reason than marketing.

A better solution would have been to allow a speed limiter on/off function either via a button toggle or even an old school key fob. It removes the limiter and removes litigation which I am sure is the only reason Ford would do this.
I'm sure there is a reason for it. We may never get an answer. It would be nice if one of those YouTube channel people got an interview with someone at ford performance and asked that very question.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I'm sure there is a reason for it. We may never get an answer. It would be nice if one of those YouTube channel people got an interview with someone at ford performance and asked that very question.
I am thinking maybe Ford said that since maybe the wing will slow it down to that anyway. The new ZR1 did the Texas Mile at 180 with wing on, then 191 without the wing.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I pretty much do. Minimal mods.
"You can have it in any color you like as long as it's black."

Basically you can't please everyone

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I am thinking maybe Ford said that since maybe the wing will slow it down to that anyway. The new ZR1 did the Texas Mile at 180 with wing on, then 191 without the wing.
Sure, where drag meets thrust. But why regulate it unless it would mean that it could cause failure of a component (like the wing or lid) or create an aerodynamic imbalance that would lead to a high speed instability? Why not let it top out at whatever the car can do? That would mean the non track (non wing) car would be significantly faster. If the previous 500 was a 200 (ish) mph car, you are not going to convince me that the 2020 isn't capable of higher speeds.

There is more to the story. Someone didn't wake up one day and say we are going to govern the top end speed because any faster is unnecessary.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
"You can have it in any color you like as long as it's black."

Basically you can't please everyone
Go ahead and mod away. I don't care. I like warranties, especially on a track car.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Sure, where drag meets thrust. But why regulate it unless it would mean that it could cause failure of a component (like the wing or lid) or create an aerodynamic imbalance that would lead to a high speed instability? Why not let it top out at whatever the car can do? That would mean the non track (non wing) car would be significantly faster. If the previous 500 was a 200 (ish) mph car, you are not going to convince me that the 2020 isn't capable of higher speeds.

There is more to the story. Someone didn't wake up one day and say we are going to govern the top end speed because any faster is unnecessary.
I totally agree. I was just trying to think of why Ford did this.....save face, lower liability, less warranty issues...etc. Who knows, but soon I am sure we will.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
1- can anyone reference exactly wheere it says governeed to 180?
2- who cares. 180 is above the reach and control of 99.9% of people, let-alone actual owners.
"So I called Ford, and my hunch was on the money. The Mustang GT500 will be computer-governed to a maximum of 180mph."

Here is the reason why:
A top speed governor means the most expensive version doesn’t have the slowest top speed, even if it’s for a good reason.

Tires are also a good reason for the limiter. When you combine high-speed, cornering loads, and extra downforce on a road tire—even one engineered for extreme performance like the GT500’s optional Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s—the physical demands are immense. A governed top speed ensures a bigger envelope of safety for those crucial bits of rubber.

ARTICLE CAN BE SEEN HERE
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/03/13/2020-gt500-limited-to-180-mph
Sponsored

Last edited: