2020 Twister Orange GT500

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
"The Pilot Sport 4S bears a (Y) speed rating (186+ mph)..."
So, whatever the + means. lol
yeah I got W and Y backwards, Thought W was the highest speed rating.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The majority of people who own one will probably...maybe...see 100 mph+ one or two times. Most will never track it. In fact, most will probably never see north of 90...unless they live in the Chicagoland area where you go 90+ in bumper to bumper traffic.

The number of people who will actually own it, and see it hit over 120-140 will be a slim percentage. probably single under 10 percent, probably even under 5 percent. Those that are sold for track day cars will, the rest will be some rich guy/girls DD..which will account for the vast majority of sales.

Those that hit 170+? probably in the 0.1 to 0.01 percent category.

Ford has to look at the numbers and make the call. At what point do they cap it? To them, their engineers, and their beancounters, that number is 180. In a way, you are lucky it's not limited to 155 like many European (German) cars are.
big lolz

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The majority of people who own one will probably...maybe...see 100 mph+ one or two times. Most will never track it. In fact, most will probably never see north of 90...unless they live in the Chicagoland area where you go 90+ in bumper to bumper traffic.

The number of people who will actually own it, and see it hit over 120-140 will be a slim percentage. probably single under 10 percent, probably even under 5 percent. Those that are sold for track day cars will, the rest will be some rich guy/girls DD..which will account for the vast majority of sales.

Those that hit 170+? probably in the 0.1 to 0.01 percent category.

Ford has to look at the numbers and make the call. At what point do they cap it? To them, their engineers, and their beancounters, that number is 180. In a way, you are lucky it's not limited to 155 like many European (German) cars are.
I think the percentage of people actually using their cars is a lot higher than it was in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if over 50% of GT500 owners hit 120-140 mph. Heck, I hit 145 at my local track in my GT350 with Pilot super sport tires and a lowly 526 hp. 120 mph will come extremely quickly in the GT500. Nearly anyone can even hit that at their local 1/4 mile strip, much less at a road course.

Yes there will be some people who put a cover on it and only drive it gently to C&C, but I think those are actually more of the minority now.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
My question is how could you not hit 140-160 in it? Ever time I jump in my supercharged GT. Ill hit 160 on the first deserted country road. Or highway I can find.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
My question is how could you not hit 140-160 in it? Ever time I jump in my supercharged GT. Ill hit 160 on the first deserted country road. Or highway I can find.
because the majority of owners are not us. A lot of people buy the "cheap" mustangs for a variety of reasons. They track their car a lot and really like ford, or don't like/don't have the money for an M3/4. (Mustang enthusiast, lot of them here on these forums)
They buy them for the investment. These are hardly driven
They are driven by owners who want a very flash ride. Yeah, it's a mustang, but it's a Boss/GT350/GT500, etc.
People having a midlife crisis trying to recapture their youth.

My former supervisor bought himself a BOSS when he got promoted to a director position. He finally sold it last year. I asked him how many times he used the "race" key and how many time he hit triple digits.
about 30/40 times, and twice.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I'm with you on that one. After awhile, 160 seems like 120:like:
I agree, once you have gone 150+ for a distance, even 100 seems like you are crawling. Let's face it, most $60k+ sports are made for high speed and can take it effortlessly. As for being "dangerous", I just don't see it. It is all at what you get used to.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Going 160 anywhere is dangerous. My son was home from the air force. And went for a ride along. While I was getting logs for lund. On a 3 lane highway. late at night so no traffic. I looked over after a 180mph pull. And the kid was white knuckled. He said this think is faster than you could humanly react. If something ran out in front of us. He was right. But being dangerous is also what makes it exciting.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Even on a track it is dangerous. That's one of the reasons that I go through so much in track prep. A lot of the variables of being on the street are removed. Anyone who takes a car into those kinds of speeds without going over the car in detail is a horrific accident waiting to happen.

Take your car to the track and get a good tech inspection. Don't drive like that on the street.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
I agree, once you have gone 150+ for a distance, even 100 seems like you are crawling. Let's face it, most $60k+ sports are made for high speed and can take it effortlessly. As for being "dangerous", I just don't see it. It is all at what you get used to.
I don't see it as being dangerous either. It's just in good fun. People will cry about it, but some people will cry over anything. :like:

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
This is dangerous....it is all in what you get used to.

upload_2019-3-21_7-38-24.png

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This is dangerous....it is all in what you get used to.
Yeah, and if he falls, he probably won't kill a family in a mini van headed for Disney who had pulled over on the side of the road to sort out directions ... sorry dude, that's a bit false equivalency. On a track, in controlled environment, with everyone around you aware of the potential danger - maybe - on the toll road down to Orlando doing 170+ because you think it's "deserted" at 3am - that's being an asshole.

I just wanted to add, this is coming from someone who has done dangerous things their whole life, probably __way__ more than 95% most people: I've done some free climbs MB'ed in places where a spill might very well dump you off a 100+ ft cliff, I've surfed massive breaks, did a stint as a lifeguard and pulled people in from rip currents, practiced a few MAs where the occasional match got a little intense - but where there's any likelihood of introducing life threatening circumstances into the life of someone who didn't ask for it, I don't do it.

Last edited:

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Yeah, and if he falls, he probably won't kill a family in a mini van headed for Disney who had pulled over on the side of the road to sort out directions ... sorry dude, that's a bit false equivalency. On a track, in controlled environment, with everyone around you aware of the potential danger - maybe - on the toll road down to Orlando doing 170+ because you think it's "deserted" at 3am - that's being an asshole.

I just wanted to add, this is coming from someone who has done dangerous things their whole life, probably __way__ more than 95% most people: I've done some free climbs MB'ed in places where a spill might very well dump you off a 100+ ft cliff, I've surfed massive breaks, did a stint as a lifeguard and pulled people in from rip currents, practiced a few MAs where the occasional match got a little intense - but where there's any likelihood of introducing life threatening circumstances into the life of someone who didn't ask for it, I don't do it.
So you are saying someone is an asshole for doing 170+ in Florida? So if that someone is doing 170+ in Germany where it is an everyday occurrence where it is the norm, then they are not an asshole?
Sponsored