Sponsored

2020 GT500 goes 10.61 @ 133 mph!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
To slip the clutch to keep the power delivery smooth with the tires on the verge of slip
except that Ford (currently) does not provide tire-slip data into the algorithm controlling DCT clutch pack activation. The process is "blind" and "stupid". I'm guessing that with a future revision, Ford/Tremec will figure out how to make the process "smart"er.

This is Tremec's first attempt at a high power DCT. The GT500 would take another year or perhaps longer to attend higher education. And the GT500 is already several years late.
Sponsored

Face

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Are you going to be the brave soul that tests it’s true limits with some trans tuning?
That is IF they can tune the TCM. Lund was a bit apprehensive based on the Ford GT TCM and lack of support. Granted that's a Getrag and this is a Tremec but time will tell- I just know he's a really smart guy when it comes to this stuff and he wasn't very confident of immediate ability to get in a play with things on the trans side.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
That is IF they can tune the TCM. Lund was a bit apprehensive based on the Ford GT TCM and lack of support. Granted that's a Getrag and this is a Tremec but time will tell- I just know he's a really smart guy when it comes to this stuff and he wasn't very confident of immediate ability to get in a play with things on the trans side.
I’m sure someone will take on the challenge eventually. This will be trickle down tech to cars like the GT in a few years. That’s a huge market. That should motivate the tuners. I’m hoping this trans will be similar to the GTR. It took some time to crack their tuning. But WOW once they figured it out. I have my fingers crossed for 1000whp GT500. On stock parts. We already know. Tremec is known for their hearty transmissions. This is exciting stuff.

cobra1320

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Cobra
lol, ok, im good with that. i can swap tires and claim stock, dodge set the precedent, GM is holding to that standard.. so shall I :)
I would love to see a test where they put the ZL1, GT500, , Corvette, and a Redeye on a prepped track with good drag tires and run them on the same day. We would have a better idea what they could do with out being traction limited.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I would love to see a test where they put the ZL1, GT500, , Corvette, and a Redeye on a prepped track with good drag tires and run them on the same day. We would have a better idea what they could do with out being traction limited.
Factory Stock?

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I hope that is incorrect, if so, that will be a big problem if one wants to set up the car for traction and keep their warranty, i. e. no tune and get full power in 1st and 2nd.

Really that's the same reason I got rid of my 14 GT500. Stupid "clutch protection" kept fucking up my ability to launch the car. Got too frustrating, and I didn't want to void the warranty with a tune.
which will be the primary hurdle in setting times I suspect. If you manage to defeat the self-preservation nanny, you'll need to budget for replacement trans gears if not the whole assembly.

I'm not sure why the nanny is so objectionable. You can launch at more than a silly rate of speed with the nanny's on. The Hellcat and Demon have nannies too, do they not?
I’m guessing they almost have to use that, to some extent, with how powerful cars are now. Imagine all the driveline warranties if they just allowed a full on torque dump.
I can imagine. I just shredded my transmission. And that was a 3g fix. I wouldn’t want to be on the hook for a new DCT. I also can’t imagine Ford would want their new super transmission. Failing left and right. Are you going to be the brave soul that tests it’s true limits with some trans tuning?

My info is directly from one of the techs thats supported the program for the last 2 years.

I personally am going to tread lightly in adding power now -hint

My last dct that broke, even after $4500 for upgraded clutch kit, took 3 yrs r&d, would have cost me another $4500for gears+labor.. had they not offered to replace for free as part of the rd process

100% stock plus drag radial would be an amazing and once-and-for-all final battle
Sponsored