Sponsored

2020 GT500 First Engine Issue ROD KNOCK

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
All production cars, at least the North American ones, end up going on a dyno and a quick systems check at the very end of the production line..
Someone should tell the Ford Performance support guys ; )
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
We use to hear that about GT350's too but Ford Performance says its not true.
I don't know how I missed this reply a while ago, but yes, it is true. As a matter of fact, Stangmodes video documents the process. If you are thinking of a performance dyno, then maybe that could be the source of the confusion. However these cars, just like the 350 undergo a diagnostic dyno before being released from the FRAP just as they roll off the line.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
I don't know how I missed this reply a while ago, but yes, it is true. As a matter of fact, Stangmodes video documents the process. If you are thinking of a performance dyno, then maybe that could be the source of the confusion. However these cars, just like the 350 undergo a diagnostic dyno before being released from the FRAP just as they roll off the line.
All I said was Ford Performance denied it when I very specifically asked. I did not ask about a performance pull or related stress testing - I was asking about QA/diag testing on assembled cars - I'm an engineer & was asking as one. It was a long conversation last year as I waited for my build. I was told they only spot check them on dyno. As for the video - that someone captured video of it does not assure it is done on every GTxxx that rolls out of FRAP. If they did it it would be A) expensive/slow and B) a great way of sorting for infant mortality that we know rarely gets to dealers but its happens more than never.

FWIW just asked Ford Performance again just now - I figured different year maybe different answer - but nope:
"They all go through end of line inspection, but not every vehicle is dyno tested. There is no way to know which vehicle is pulled for dyno testing, that is internal to the plant and we do not have access to that information."
"I do not know the exact number (again internal to the plant), but it is a spot check. So it is only a few cars, not all the cars."
"also time prohibitive as well. Still, they do check every x amount of vehicles to monitor things."

I asked the question 3 different ways to make sure they understand this is asking about QA dyno diag testing not performance maximums or hard pulls. They confirmed - most cars are not tested only some are spot checked on a dyno. So still if they're wrong they don't know it. <shrug>

I'd rather you were right ;-)

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
"....we do not have access to that information."
Ford Performance really needs to up their game. They are using this excuse far too often and it is rather disconcerting.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Ford Performance really needs to up their game. They are using this excuse far too often and it is rather disconcerting.
Agree.....for example that they're still working on 2019 production figures & say check back in April. Seriously? Production ended in Sept and the last day for orders was what June? Its not like they don't have databases at Ford for generating reports.
I left the same sentiment in my sign off comments there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
If they did it it would be A) expensive/slow and B) a great way of sorting for infant mortality that we know rarely gets to dealers but its happens more than never.
other manufacturers (euro) *road test* (used to) every single car that comes off the line on a special track that bashes the suspension etc. to make sure it's working correctly and no squeaks and rattles etc. The Shelby is a $65-85000 car. rigorous QC is not optional.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
<checks this thread topic> Rigorous would be great.
Sponsored