2020 GT500 Curb Weight and Dimensions Released

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
We still need official performance figures...just estimates right now correct?

Also people have been complaining for YEARS about the lack of cooling and track readiness of the Mustangs. I believe Ford decided to make sure this thing would be ready for track use even if it meant added weight beyond what they were hoping.
Yep, the initial gt350 fiasco is likely one reason why they went this way.
Sponsored

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
Look at it this way.
The low top speed and massive weight is how you turn a maybe into a No!
People interested in this car with that kind of money want the best and biggest bang for their money.
I agree that people want the best for their money. They want a 1000hp, a car that weighs 2000lbs, 0-60 acceleration in 2 seconds, a perfect 50/50 weight distribution, all the bells, gas mileage of a Tesla (0-mpg) at a price less than a base Toyota Corolla. Most of the people on this thread are bashing a car they never had any interest in buying in the first place. I haven't seen one person said they are cancelling their order because the GT500 is 400lbs heavier than a Mustang GT. When the people who are touting their Mustang GTs Mods they are also adding weight. Most add power for faster quarter mile times but few improve handling, few improve braking and almost none improve heat extraction so you get a few faster pulls at the drag track before you have to start icing down intakes and etc. The C-8 isn't the dream people think and won't be as cheap as they expect. Yes the ZL1 is 200lbs lighter but still won't out perform the GT500. People call the GT500 a piggy but many need to look in the mirror first and lose 50lbs themselves. They could save some track weight by going on a diet.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I will let you know. I plan to remove all the fluff for Daytona (seats, battery, tire inflator, subwoofer, windshield fluid, etc). I will weigh before and after.
I am curious if everyone has to have the same amount of gas?

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
2013/14 GT500 takes a 3650lb car and adds 200lbs @3850

2020 GT500 takes a 3800lb car and adds 425lbs to it? lolhow?

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
The ZL1 1LE is 3860 lbs for the MT. Auto adds another 60 lbs. The ZL1 1LE also has 11 heat exhangers for cooling.

No question, the GT500 is a porker. That is the weight of 2 Lotus Exiges.

I would think more than 55% of the GT500 weight will be up front. This will require a lot of energy and kinematics to turn/handle which means faster wear/tear and high cost of consumables.

As Jeremy Clarkson famously said - Weight ruins everything.
He should know about being overweight.

Sponsored

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
After seeing these weight figures, I've decided to cancel my GT500 order. Yeah, that's gonna be a No for me Dawg. I wanted it to be at least 4,500 pounds and when it came in at 4225, I was pissed. I was looking forward to running old men in their lightweight pussy ass C8's into ditches and taking this beast onto the Fury Road.

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2017 Ford Focus ST, On Order 2020 CTFP Shelby GT 500 with POTTS. Car is released and awaiting shipment. I am running out of time before having to leave for Japan on July 29th.
I think 4200+ pounds is to f#&king heavy. I also make close to 200 grand a year. What’s my excuse?
Nobody cares how much or how little you make. You have been on the threads bashing the GT500 from day one. If you read my original comment I stated lots of people lots of people need an excuse to justify not buying a car that they can't afford not all. You obviously fit into the category of the person who wants to raing on the GT500 buyer's parade essentially saying "My modded GT is better because..." I haven't seen anyone bashing you doing so. You have built cars specifically for drag racing. Just like a stock Mustang GT is to f#&king slow you made a decision to buy them and modify them. I doubt many people bashed your decision to do so.

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red

Melange_X3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
Low top speed? That's a big laugh out loud. When are you going to hit 180? Certainly not on the 1/8 or the 1/4 for that matter. You wouldn't hit that on a track either. There comes a point when top speed numbers are useless.

In my opinion, the GT500 IS NOT a track car. It has several track-focused components on it that make it trackable, but there are also a plethora of creature comforts installed that drive up the weight. A true track car doesn't have creature comforts like heated seats and auto climate control and etc. First and foremost, people buy this car to either have a collectors item or for the driving experience. When I say driving experience, this doesn't translate directly to a track.
Finally somone who truly understands! Thank you! It is good to know that there are some reasonable people on this forum. So many people doing their best to bash the GT500. Won't work I'm all in for buying one. This is just like the GT350 torque bashers when it came out. Soon I will have both.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Damn, almost wish I kept one of my allocations, at that weight it would have pushed it to just about under MSRP....ouch.

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
ZL1 1LE is 5.9 pounds per HP.

The GT500 is 5.6 pounds per HP in its heaviest version.

Definitely the GT500 will walk away from the ZL1 1LE - at least in a straight line. I expect the CFTP version to also beat the ZL1 1LE on track - and without having a horrendous ride like the Camaro does. The CFTP will have an even better power to weight ratio than the base GT500.
Yes, but imagine the energy expended in trying to stop and turn. The CFTP will easily be touching $90k when spec'd.

That is like putting Carbon Fiber on a pig to make it a little more nimble but guess what?.... it's still a pig.

Maybe this article from R&T will help you understand the importance of Weight over HP....

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...t-is-a-question-with-only-one-correct-answer/

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
All of this bitching about weight, and people seem to be forgetting what really matters.

1. Is the GT500 faster in the ÂĽ mile and around a track (by significant margin) than the Zl1?
If the answer to this questions is yes, then it’s a success.

1. Is the GT500 carbon package faster around the track than the Zl1 1LE?
Again, if yes…success.

The weight is only a number people. Stop acting like the car will be a failure if it fails to be under 4000 lbs.

One more thing to consider. The Zl1 1LE has a race suspension and rides like absolute dog shit anywhere except for the track. Both GT500 options are going to be far superior in drivability than the ZL1 1LE.

We already know the GT500 will be faster in the ÂĽ mile than the ZL1. We also know it will likely have a far superior 0-100-0 performance. Does anyone have any idea what kind of advantage you have when you are able to break later into a corner on the track?

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
We already know the GT500 will be faster in the ÂĽ mile than the ZL1. We also know it will likely have a far superior 0-100-0 performance. Does anyone have any idea what kind of advantage you have when you are able to break later into a corner on the track?
We dont know how well the GT500 will do at the track, it has some heft to it, the big ass brakes slows the car down fast AF sure, but what about after multiple laps? The heaviest car we know of that is good at the track is the ZL1 1LE. So maybe this new GT500 will be the same, but up to this point we dont know how a 4100lb car will do.
btw, if you've done any road course driving its the light cars that can late brake. Miatas were late braking at the top of laguna seca while I had to brake 25-40 feet before they did in my viper. My viper is in the low 33xxlbs.

We know GT500 isnt a track car, thats what the GT350R is for, but people claim it will beat a ZL1 1LE without any evidence. Too soon junior.

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
All of this bitching about weight, and people seem to be forgetting what really matters.

1. Is the GT500 faster in the ÂĽ mile and around a track (by significant margin) than the Zl1?
If the answer to this questions is yes, then it’s a success.

1. Is the GT500 carbon package faster around the track than the Zl1 1LE?
Again, if yes…success.

The weight is only a number people. Stop acting like the car will be a failure if it fails to be under 4000 lbs.

One more thing to consider. The Zl1 1LE has a race suspension and rides like absolute dog shit anywhere except for the track. Both GT500 options are going to be far superior in drivability than the ZL1 1LE.

Really? Then why exactly is the GT500 tacking on all the CF parts? This car has been heavily marketed as a weapon for the 'track'. Look at all the marketing videos and brochures...

The ZL1 1LE is a no compromise driver's tool that absolutely works on track and still works as a canyon carver (If you remove the stock track tires and replace with Michelin PS4S). It gives a track day warrior every single tool for adjust ability which is the way it needs to be. That's like saying a 991 GT3 RS only works on the track. Ultimately every one of these cars have to work on the street otherwise it makes no sense.

To think weight doesn't matter is being delusional. In a world where every manufacturer is looking at incorporating light weight materials and CF to lower the center of gravity,, the GT500 seems like an exercise in simply slapping a big ass supercharger and supplemental cooling which is coupled to a DCT.

Imagine how much weight they could've lost by incorporating CF on the roof and hood. They could've incorporating these into the GT350/R as well to get economies of scale and thereby cut production costs....
Sponsored