Sponsored

2020 GT500 Curb Weight and Dimensions Released

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
So how many people just signed up for gym memberships to cut weight? lol
Indeed, without even knowing if they are overweight in the first place.
Sponsored

bomlodr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 SVO, 2015 GT/PP
Some interesting facts to note: The average Camaro owner is 400lbs heavier than the average Mustang owner so, it's a wash. The average Demon owner is 405lbs heavier than the average Mustang owner. Definite 5lb and 125hp advantage for the GT500 owner. (source: The Abraham Lincoln Internet Repository for Useless Info and Inspirational Memes, 2019).
Honestly, I'm more worried about those flat earth rocket scientists and their steam powered machines....

It weighs 4200lbs.....so? None of this shit matters. Do you guys honestly believe the guy that CAN afford one of these things is ACTUALLY tracking it? I'd bet he's not. The guy that can afford one of these has just purchased the ability to wave his penis around in public without the whole awkward "indecent exposure/jail time" thing. In the end, 99% of us would buy the new GT500 if we had the wherewithal to do so, weight be damned. Why? For the same reason the Dodge guys buy Demons and the Camaro guys buy ZL1s and live in trailer parks.....cause it's friggin cool! The only caveat: of the 99% of us that would buy one, only about 10% of us can actually afford one (source: Howard Stern Comes Again. 2019). In the end, it's just a bunch of broke asses sitting behind their keyboards quoting random internet facts that may or may have not been verified all in the name of modern day bench racing. It's all jokes, people....all jokes.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Agreed, and any true enthusiast hoping to 'carve corners' should also be disappointed, and if they are not... they are in denial. It's embarrassing this car weighs as much as a Challenger Hellcat! I still respect them, and am a huge Ford fan... but these cars will be one lap wonders, and meant for the drag strip.

Correct, the Camaro will be getting the LT5.

Best Regards,
Dave
I have read where the Escalade is getting the LT4

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Correct, the Camaro will be getting the LT5.

Reposting my post from another site, re: LT5 in the Camaro ...

Clearly this would be a case of enthusiasts vs. accountants. There's not a notable business case for the costs (testing, tooling, etc.), even with those being lower due to existing development (i.e., the LT5).

I mean, this isn't a great pitch, "We have a model that's not selling well, even with substantial discounts in the consumer channels, but we'd like to build another version with at least a $10K higher MSRP". If anything it seems like GM is trying to find a way to offer cheaper performance options with some of the new packages.

Now, would be it be awesome? Sure. Would some real car people inside of GM love to do it (especially with the GT500 looming)? I'd bet on it. Are there __some__ buyers for a ~755HP, ~$80K Camaro? No doubt (don't get too hung up on my phantom pricing ...)

I totally get the go-out-with-a-bang, but outside of the hard to justify economics of such a program, there's also the Corvette, and I don't think GM wants to dilute their all new model/platform by introducing a new Camaro flavor that's [substantially?] better performing than their new flagship (and is kind of off message vs. the mid-engine direction for their higher dollar performance cars).

I think they're going to ride it out for a couple of years, clean up the model variants, trying to become more competitive in the lower/mid-market - maybe introduce a few special editions that are just aesthetics, but nothing that requires any major re-engineering.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
ahh, cognitive dissidence. Dont like what your reading so it doesnt exist and painful to comprehend.

please, list all current chassis Camaro models, their HP and lap times.

I think you can see where this is going
I'm a realist, look at fastest laps and report back back what heavy car runs what time, then compare that to the lighter cars.

You can also compare a c6z vs a gt350r. 500lb weight difference, 10 year newer technology, still can beat a z06.

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm excited. If it does come try hopefully it's with a redesign. Would be nice if dodge got into the mix too. Variety is the spice of life.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I'm a realist, look at fastest laps and report back back what heavy car runs what time, then compare that to the lighter cars.

You can also compare a c6z vs a gt350r. 500lb weight difference, 10 year newer technology, still can beat a z06.
I dont follow GM stuff, it doesnt appeal to me. So please, post up the variants, their weight and lap times. Educate me on why im wrong

kcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, Base w/tech, black roof, vinyl stripes
For the price, FORD the GT 500 should have had all aluminum body panels per F-150. It will still be a great car, but as I said, moneywise, here they are lightening up the trucks and porking out the muscle cars. WTF? lol

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
For the price, FORD the GT 500 should have had all aluminum body panels per F-150. It will still be a great car, but as I said, moneywise, here they are lightening up the trucks and porking out the muscle cars. WTF? lol
They did one better and put an CFRP hood , trunk and front fenders, and radiator support . ... the problem is in the S550 steel chassis. This much power , aero , and grip required beefing up the suspension , rear axle , and half shafts ,they added track capable cooling for 760 hp ( literally over 40 pounds of coolant alone ,and a high Tq high rpm capable DCT, and giant brakes and wider wheels and tires capable of stopping it without fade . No way it wasn’t going to be 300 -400 heavier than manual 350. My 350R with tech package and a full tank of gas weighed 3740 by the way. I wouldn’t call that “light weight” . It actually cornered better on track than my 3200 pound Z4M on equal rubber . Amazing what 10 years of suspension and chassis technology can do. I wouldn’t discount what the 500 is capable of yet . I for one will be tracking the hell out of my CFTP 500 when she arrives ! Only problem will be tire life, just like on any car running fast lap times .

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
Completely agree with the 'financial sense'... but this will be about sending the camaro off with a bang. We can refer back to this post in a year or two. ;)

Best Regards,
Dave

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Completely agree with the 'financial sense'... but this will be about sending the camaro off with a bang. We can refer back to this post in a year or two. ;)
Well, that's my contention - that the financial position will override any kind of product development to get the LT5 in the Camaro. I mean, it __is__ already developed, so that's obviously a notable perk, but there's general packaging, cooling, changes to things like the hood, upgrading transmission(s).

Also, there's ~$42,100 difference between the starting prices of the Z06 and ZR1 Corvettes, maybe they could keep the of the Camaro trim streamlined to reduce that [difference] significantly, but let's say the ZL1 to LT5-powered Camaro difference is just half that (assuming they don't start with something that's more like the 1LE package), that's a ~$84K Camaro.

To be clear, I'm not wishing that they don't, I'm just considering the business proposition of if they really would. :)

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
They did one better and put an CFRP hood , trunk and front fenders, and radiator support . ... the problem is in the S550 steel chassis. This much power , aero , and grip required beefing up the suspension , rear axle , and half shafts ,they added track capable cooling for 760 hp ( literally over 40 pounds of coolant alone ,and a high Tq high rpm capable DCT, and giant brakes and wider wheels and tires capable of stopping it without fade . No way it wasn’t going to be 300 -400 heavier than manual 350. My 350R with tech package and a full tank of gas weighed 3740 by the way. I wouldn’t call that “light weight” . It actually cornered better on track than my 3200 pound Z4M on equal rubber . Amazing what 10 years of suspension and chassis technology can do. I wouldn’t discount what the 500 is capable of yet . I for one will be tracking the hell out of my CFTP 500 when she arrives ! Only problem will be tire life, just like on any car running fast lap times .
Can’t, it’s a unibody. They could do aluminum doors but that’s it. The hood and fenders are already moulded composite (which may be even heavier than the aluminum counterpart).

Ford could have done lots, but then it would be a 130k car.

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, that's my contention - that the financial position will override any kind of product development to get the LT5 in the Camaro. I mean, it __is__ already developed, so that's obviously a notable perk, but there's general packaging, cooling, changes to things like the hood, upgrading transmission(s).

Also, there's ~$42,100 difference between the starting prices of the Z06 and ZR1 Corvettes, maybe they could keep the of the Camaro trim streamlined to reduce that [difference] significantly, but let's say the ZL1 to LT5-powered Camaro difference is just half that (assuming they don't start with something that's more like the 1LE package), that's a ~$84K Camaro.

To be clear, I'm not wishing that they don't, I'm just considering the business proposition of if they really would. :)
They can offset the price by making the LT5 available in multiple vehicles. I'd put them in cadillac sedans and their SUVs. Redesign the Silverado and bring back their 454 SS, powered by lt5 as well.
Ball is in GMs court now. Sucks that they are killing the brand again. This might bring stagnant improvement to the mustang line.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

The LT5 crate engine is only $3,200 more expensive than the LT4. There's obviously a lot more to the additional cost of the ZR1 than the more powerful engine.

If they put the LT5 in the ZL1, it would be interesting to see how much it weighs after beefier components and cooling all around vs. the standard LT4 powered ZL1.

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
The LT5 crate engine is only $3,200 more expensive than the LT4. There's obviously a lot more to the additional cost of the ZR1 than the more powerful engine.

If they put the LT5 in the ZL1, it would be interesting to see how much it weighs after beefier components and cooling all around vs. the standard LT4 powered ZL1.
I do believe it will end up being $10K more than the current ZL1 1LE... so probably $79-$82K is realistic. Look, they can't sell the current one... it won't make sense... but the motor is developed.. the car has more cooling than the corvette already... so I think they can do it for $5K or so more... and charge $10K or more... we'll see. ;)

Best Regards,
Dave
Sponsored