IceAge

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Aw come on it wax filmed in 2020 which that’s a problem in itself and FAKE NEWS is the norm😁

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
Somebody’s foot got lighter when that 500 started pulling on the C8, I have no doubts.
It means nothing unless you have the times and mph. I didn’t see any times in the video.

Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
It means nothing unless you have the times and mph. I didn’t see any times in the video.
You dont need to, just watch @5:32 the mustang looks like it caught a ball-n chain, it just stops gaining on the vette, and we all know once the mustang gets a stretch it will take off.

Plus I dont know about anyone else, but Mustangs were never pitted against vettes, just two different classes.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
You dont need to, just watch @5:32 the mustang looks like it caught a ball-n chain, it just stops gaining on the vette, and we all know once the mustang gets a stretch it will take off.

Plus I dont know about anyone else, but Mustangs were never pitted against vettes, just two different classes.
I snapped a screenshot of this chart at the end of the video.

F770D664-6E4F-42CA-A110-FC453538C83F.jpeg

Since it was not a continuous shot of the race, it‘s hard to tell where on the track the GT500 was making the move on the Corvette. The way they assembled the footage makes it seem like it was earlier in the run than it actually was. No doubt it was gonna catch it not far beyond the quarter, but it apparently didn’t catch it before the quarter. Other head-to-head runs have shown similar results.

As far as why have these two head-to-head....Shelby Mustangs were created to give Ford something to compete with Corvettes in SCCA racing before Camaro was even born. These two examples were priced within $4,000 of each other. Seems like a fair comparison.

Last edited:

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I snapped a screenshot of this chart at the end of the video.

F770D664-6E4F-42CA-A110-FC453538C83F.jpeg

Since it was not a continuous shot of the race, it‘s hard to tell when the GT500 was making the move on the Corvette. The way the assembled the footage makes it seem like it was earlier in the run than it actually was. No doubt it was gonna catch it not far beyond the quarter, but it apparently didn’t catch it before the quarter. Other head-to-head runs have shown similar results.

As far as why have these two head-to-head....Shelby Mustangs were created to give Ford something to compete with Corvettes in SCCA racing before Camaro was even born. These two examples were priced within $4,000 of each other. Seems like a fair comparison.
I challenge that screenshot, because looking at the video, there is no way the mustang was .2 behind. I still say something is amiss here. And I'm a vette fan as well (I own one), so its not even like I am bashing another car I love, but that race doesn't look right at all.

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
I challenge that screenshot, because looking at the video, there is no way the mustang was .2 behind. I still say something is amiss here. And I'm a vette fan as well (I own one), so its not even like I am bashing another car I love, but that race doesn't look right at all.
Agreed. Not taking anything away from the vette as it’s impressively quick off the line but that race is definitely odd.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. Not taking anything away from the vette as it’s impressively quick off the line but that race is definitely odd.
The mustang more than likely had the old firmware for the Launch Control 1s delay which would give the vette an advantage off the line by someone who doesnt compensate for that, but as I said @5:32 the mustang just stops gaining and the vette extends further? Nah....

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They set up the contest to make the Mustang lose to the 'vette. That's why they used the 1/4 mile instead of the 1/2 mile and why they did a drag race but not at the race track.

I laughed out loud when they said the 3,600 lb 'vette was "light". Hilarious.

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
I’m just glad I wasn’t the only one seeing that!
GT500 started pulling HARD then shut down.
I have to say it would’ve been nice to have seen the 500 get a shot at the 1/2 mile!
-J

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
At some point in time some of you just need to give the Corvette engineers their due. They take a car with a 265 hp disadvantage riding on PS4S tires end eek out a close quarter mile win. Consistently. This wasn’t the first test where C8 edged GT500 in a quarter mile. We all know GT500 catches it shortly after and crushes it on trap speed, just as it’s supposed to. Not a whole lot different than the “cowboy racing” head to head a couple years ago. It doesn’t make GT500 any less of a car. The Corvette guys just seem to know what they are doing in terms of chassis dynamics and how to tune the mid engine mass setup to launch the car like a fiend. After that, it’s how long will it take the GT500 to overtake. Test after test has shown it’s a little more than a quarter mile.

Instead it boils down to a “they must be cheating “ whinefest. What would have to be true for that to be the case? Pobst , Lieberman, and the other two drivers would have to all agree to keep their mouths shut in order for a cheat to work. And of all the cars they had in the competition, why make this the cheat race? Neither car factored into the final results, so who gains what from cheating this particular race?

EDIT: Fixed the tire spec (thanks Hack) and spelling of Pobst and Lieberman.

Last edited:

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
At some point in time some of you just need to give the Corvette engineers their due. They take a car with a 265 hp disadvantage riding on all season tires end eek out a close quarter mile win. Consistently. This wasn’t the first test where C8 edged GT500 in a quarter mile. We all know GT500 catches it shortly after and crushes it on trap speed, just as it’s supposed to. Not a whole lot different than the “cowboy racing” head to head a couple years ago. It doesn’t make GT500 any less of a car. The Corvette guys just seem to know what they are doing in terms of chassis dynamics and how to tune the mid engine mass setup to launch the car like a fiend. After that, it’s how long will it take the GT500 to overtake. Test after test has shown it’s a little more than a quarter mile.

Instead it boils down to a “they must be cheating “ whinefest. What would have to be true for that to be the case? Post, Lieberma, and the other two drivers would have to all agree to keep their mouths shut in order for a cheat to work. And of all the cars they had in the competition, why make this the cheat race? Neither car factored into the final results, so who gains what from cheating this particular race?
Did you watch the video? The GT500 suddenly stops dead in its tracks right as it’s slingshotting around the vette. That’s what people are wondering about, myself included. The C8 is fast off the line no question about that.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
At some point in time some of you just need to give the Corvette engineers their due. They take a car with a 265 hp disadvantage riding on all season tires end eek out a close quarter mile win. Consistently. This wasn’t the first test where C8 edged GT500 in a quarter mile. We all know GT500 catches it shortly after and crushes it on trap speed, just as it’s supposed to. Not a whole lot different than the “cowboy racing” head to head a couple years ago. It doesn’t make GT500 any less of a car. The Corvette guys just seem to know what they are doing in terms of chassis dynamics and how to tune the mid engine mass setup to launch the car like a fiend. After that, it’s how long will it take the GT500 to overtake. Test after test has shown it’s a little more than a quarter mile.

Instead it boils down to a “they must be cheating “ whinefest. What would have to be true for that to be the case? Post, Lieberma, and the other two drivers would have to all agree to keep their mouths shut in order for a cheat to work. And of all the cars they had in the competition, why make this the cheat race? Neither car factored into the final results, so who gains what from cheating this particular race?
I hear what your saying, but look at the video and look at the times you sniped... The 500 stayed even (same position) in the last seconds of the race. But look at the mph, the 500 is going a little over 8 mph faster then the corvette, which means it should be catching up. And the mph is pretty close to what normal 1/4 mile times are about is .6 seconds slower..? Ford says 10.7 @ 132 mph. Its hard to say the factor, but most other times, you see quite a few in cockpit views forward. Just interesting....

Did you watch the video? The GT500 suddenly stops dead in its tracks right as it’s slingshotting around the vette. That’s what people are wondering about, myself included. The C8 is fast off the line no question about that.
Agreed...

All in all, would have been good to see elimations race each other. And don't see why to lump the Porsche and Dodge in this...
Sponsored

Last edited: