Sponsored

2020 GT500 Cold Air Induction Alternative

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
curious why the White filter they sell is dry and the red and blue are "oiled" which is better?
That is like asking which motor oil is better, or ford vs chevy. I will give you my opinion, based of my experience and somewhat decent knowledge. Brand new oiled out of the box i think do provide slightly more air flow, and slightly less filtration than a high performance dry filter. As they degrade or get dirty i think the differences are less IMO. NOW the big deal is a lot of people when cleaning an oil filter don't clean or oil them properly leading to problems. Cleaning and properly oiling a filter is a PITA if you ask me. i always buy oiled but grew up living and breathing K&N filters which some will say are horrible. Both filters DO provide more airflow than most OEM filters.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I just had a look. Its just a small piece of one of the corners that might be taking air in.... Im going to look into some kind of seal around that corner or maybe enclose the box.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
do you mind sharing the part number you used for a Shelby? interested in the filter. Thanks in advance. JP
One more request from me, too Jaime...their site doesn't show a filter for our cars, at least that I could find.

Hope you logged some decent shuteye.
Mark listed the same filter I got. I did try to find the correct S&B filter but as you saw, their site is less than manageable, when looking for a filter by size.

Thanks a bunch, Mark BUT, it says "JLT." Is that correct? So these guys are just distributors I presume.
As much as I wanted a non branded filter, I ended up getting the JLT branded one because I knew it would be the size I needed. I am sure once the boys at S&B create their kit, they will list it by vehicle fitment. For now, I will use the JLT branded one.

Dustin Whipple only uses S&B as well. He is a master at navigating their website, so I asked him to help me find the correct non branded filter. When I hear back from him, I will share the part number.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Jaime: Your logic makes perfect sense. At any decent speed, the vent is going to create a partial vacuum and that can only take away from the intake air flow with an open box.
Bringing back an old thread but some misinformation about airflow is being presented. The venting of the hood will not take away air from intake. In a static vacuum with a slow release, yes youā€™ll see a pressure drop. But the evacuation of air creates a negative differential that draws in even more air. Thatā€™s the point of aero to create the downforce needed for enhanced traction. If anything the added venting helps draw MORE air into the engine bay which also helps to increase velocity at the intake. In the right conditions a closed box could create a pressure wall which would be almost impossible to measure without lab equipment but Iā€™m sure the Ford engineers have figured this out. However, if there was a stagnant pressure wall youā€™d stall the blower much like an aircraft engine compressor wheel stalls when you exceed the ram-air speed limit for that engine. This is why opening the intake track and using a larger filter creates more cfm for a blower. The more air you feed the supercharger the less work it has to do sucking it in. Hence the 30hp gains seen by multiple dyno shops like Palm Beach.

In my unprofessional opinion, I doubt youā€™re losing power in real world conditions with an open element intake. But thatā€™s just based off my knowledge as an aircraft flight engineer with just enough info to possibly screw it up šŸ¤£

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
And just to update those who are looking for a CAI, I just called S&B and they are in the process of developing a kit for the ā€˜20-ā€˜21 GT500. No ETA for availability though.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And just to update those who are looking for a CAI, I just called S&B and they are in the process of developing a kit for the ā€˜20-ā€˜21 GT500. No ETA for availability though.
They make the best filter, hands down. I will be interested to see what they come ups with.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I thought the JLT was an S&B filter. There is 2 alternatives out there now that S&B wouldnā€™t do any better than. No sense in waiting.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the JLT was an S&B filter. There is 2 alternatives out there now that S&B wouldnā€™t do any better than. No sense in waiting.
JLT does use an S&B filter.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
It is, but S&B are making their own induction kit. And Iā€™m betting itā€™ll be a closed system like the one they offer for the GT350

Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
It is, but S&B are making their own induction kit. And Iā€™m betting itā€™ll be a closed system like the one they offer for the GT350
It will be a closed system, at least that is what they told me around 6 months ago. I'm not going to go into detail again about my CAI experience which I already posted last year but will just quickly summarize. I installed the JLT open CAI system which uses an S&B filter. Was unhappy with the fact that my inlet temps were always 25+ hotter driving around town and 10+ on the freeway. Even if I was getting more air in, I didn't want the inlet temp rise. Went back to the OEM closed system and have an S&B filter inside and have been happy ever since. If S&B does come out with their CAI I will most likely get it as long as it is a closed system.

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
Mark, is the S&B part number KF-1057? I am very interested in keeping the stock enclosure, better performance and no swapping back to stock to pass California smog. Thanks

Chris2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careeup.tech
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 / 2021 Jaguar SVR / 2019 TrackHawk
Bringing back an old thread but some misinformation about airflow is being presented. The venting of the hood will not take away air from intake. In a static vacuum with a slow release, yes youā€™ll see a pressure drop. But the evacuation of air creates a negative differential that draws in even more air. Thatā€™s the point of aero to create the downforce needed for enhanced traction. If anything the added venting helps draw MORE air into the engine bay which also helps to increase velocity at the intake. In the right conditions a closed box could create a pressure wall which would be almost impossible to measure without lab equipment but Iā€™m sure the Ford engineers have figured this out. However, if there was a stagnant pressure wall youā€™d stall the blower much like an aircraft engine compressor wheel stalls when you exceed the ram-air speed limit for that engine. This is why opening the intake track and using a larger filter creates more cfm for a blower. The more air you feed the supercharger the less work it has to do sucking it in. Hence the 30hp gains seen by multiple dyno shops like Palm Beach.

In my unprofessional opinion, I doubt youā€™re losing power in real world conditions with an open element intake. But thatā€™s just based off my knowledge as an aircraft flight engineer with just enough info to possibly screw it up šŸ¤£
Are there any dyno sheets with the air/fuel ratios posted with the after market intakes? On a dyno, I could see gains simply because of unrestricted airflow however, I would like to see the ratios as introducing more airflow should also require adjusting the fuel mapping to add fuel to keep timing from retarding. I am sure the computer can adjust however, I am thinking that if you're going to put an intake, a tune is well worth the money for both safety and more power.

The fact that most GT500's are putting down 700RWHP stock, that factory unit is functioning well as it puts the actual numbers closer to 800HP therefore, I doubt it is overly restrictive.

With that said, it does bum be out that the factory unit conceals the supercharger whine as that was one of my favorite things on my prior 2010 GT500 and I'm not sure how or why but my wife's Trackhawk has a very nice and loud supercharger sound. Even at low throttle inputs hers whines and I am a bit jealous. However...I have more HP than her now, so I win!

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Are there any dyno sheets with the air/fuel ratios posted with the after market intakes? On a dyno, I could see gains simply because of unrestricted airflow however, I would like to see the ratios as introducing more airflow should also require adjusting the fuel mapping to add fuel to keep timing from retarding. I am sure the computer can adjust however, I am thinking that if you're going to put an intake, a tune is well worth the money for both safety and more power.

The fact that most GT500's are putting down 700RWHP stock, that factory unit is functioning well as it puts the actual numbers closer to 800HP therefore, I doubt it is overly restrictive.

With that said, it does bum be out that the factory unit conceals the supercharger whine as that was one of my favorite things on my prior 2010 GT500 and I'm not sure how or why but my wife's Trackhawk has a very nice and loud supercharger sound. Even at low throttle inputs hers whines and I am a bit jealous. However...I have more HP than her now, so I win!
Iā€™ve not seen anyone post AFR but since our cars are MAP based I doubt theyā€™d fluctuate much at all. The computer can adjust with MAP a lot easier than MAF based systems.

However, a custom tune will always provide more power than the EPA restrictive tunes we get from Ford.