Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
In reference to an open air intake vs an enclosed intake look at this picture
5046E64E-AA69-4672-9890-768029D87B18.jpeg

In a quarter mile the car is still and by the time you have enough velocity for the aerodynamics to work your at the end of the run. However on a road course with the vehicle in constant motion the hood opening is extracting the air from the engine compartment constantly.

The air intake is completing for air with the hood opening.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase

In a quarter mile the car is still and by the time you have enough velocity for the aerodynamics to work your at the end of the run. However on a road course with the vehicle in constant motion the hood opening is extracting the air from the engine compartment constantly.

This picture has been stuck in my tiny brain since I first saw it. It was also one of my considerations to why I am switching back to the enclosed air box. Water is one reason for me, not trying to be the fastest is the biggest reason, but ultimately I believe the car will benefit from a better flowing filter INSIDE an enclosed air box, in real world conditions, over a CAI. That picture explains exactly why.

I am not disputing the power numbers seen on a dyno with the two different CAI. What I am saying is, I bet that dyno number is greatly reduced in real world conditions. What people are feeling on the street is more than likely coming from the supporting mods, like porting, bigger TB, smaller pulley, etc.

I can tell you from experience that I, IN NO WAY, felt like I added 40-70 HP when I installed my CAI. Not to mention the dyno numbers are RWHP, I should have felt the difference with those numbers, no question about it. The ONLY thing I can say I noticed, with absolute certainty, was a little bit more supercharger whine.

Disclaimer: I am not slamming either CAI company. I have come to know the owner of 1320 Junkie, and he has made a great product. I also am not here to argue with other CAI users, I am only stating my unprofessional opinion. Lastly, I have no personal experience with the JLT CAI.

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
This picture has been stuck in my tiny brain since I first saw it. It was also one of my considerations to why I am switching back to the enclosed air box. Water is one reason for me, not trying to be the fastest is the biggest reason, but ultimately I believe the car will benefit from a better flowing filter INSIDE an enclosed air box, in real world conditions, over a CAI. That picture explains exactly why.

I am not disputing the power numbers seen on a dyno with the two different CAI. What I am saying is, I bet that dyno number is greatly reduced in real world conditions. What people are feeling on the street is more than likely coming from the supporting mods, like porting, bigger TB, smaller pulley, etc.

I can tell you from experience that I, IN NO WAY, felt like I added 40-70 HP when I installed my CAI. Not to mention the dyno numbers are RWHP, I should have felt the difference with those numbers, no question about it. The ONLY thing I can say I noticed, with absolute certainty, was a little bit more supercharger whine.

Disclaimer: I am not slamming either CAI company. I have come to know the owner of 1320 Junkie, and he has made a great product. I also am not here to argue with other CAI users, I am only stating my unprofessional opinion. Lastly, I have no personal experience with the JLT CAI.
Well said.
Back on post #19 I talk about Boss 302s that a friend purchased. The car was either #002 or 003 and Dean Martin set it up for him. That car was very fast, he added an open air intake and he thought he lost power and witched back to the enclosed box.

In the quarter mile starting from a standstill the open filter my work however that’s not what I use my car for.

Interesting note I have an old k/n air filter from my 04cobra and the opening of that filter is bigger than my GT 500.

erolivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500, '18 Raptor, '15 STi,'11 Frontier

Beautiful CFD visualization. Great post processing of the streamlines!!!

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Jaime: Your logic makes perfect sense. At any decent speed, the vent is going to create a partial vacuum and that can only take away from the intake air flow with an open box.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
Jaime: Your logic makes perfect sense. At any decent speed, the vent is going to create a partial vacuum and that can only take away from the intake air flow with an open box.
My question is with it being forced induction would a ram air like intake have any benefits? Can the engine take in more air than the supercharger can pump? I would think air is still being drawn over the intake even with the hood vent. But what do I know, I'm not an engineer.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
That's a very good question, WP and, like you, I have no engineering experience. My guess is that at slower speeds and a high throttle position, the SC could actually receive less than optimum volumes of air but if that's true, at what speed the changeover occurs is anyone's guess.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The JLT design is a closed box not drawing air from under the hood. Once you close the hood, a seal is formed on the top portion. It is very similar to the GT350

The plenum is large, and the filter is much bigger than stock. Furthermore, the filter has an inverted cone on the end increasing surface area. It seems to be a better engineered solution as opposed to the garage parts (non) CAI that has been presented here.

I dont think water is a concern with the JLT

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
There are many things I do on my car, both big and small and I don't always post them. Actually, I rarely post the things I do unless I feel it is worth it or I reply to a post. Seems like I reply a lot to Jaime's posts had here is another one.

I had a JLT CAI on my car (I am sure many have seen it from the engine compartment photos I have posted) and two weeks ago, went back to the stock OEM setup. When I initially got the car, I immediately replaced the OEM air filter with an S&B Powerstacked Top air filter. Jaime and I have been using these filters in our cars for some time and really like them. So why did I remove the JLT CAI? I felt too much hot air was getting into the intake.

I did a simple test and not sure it was even accurate but my results were this: The ambient temps around here last month (and for most of the summer) were around 95. One of the gauges I have set up on the dash is intake air temp. While driving around with the JLT CAI, the temp was always ran around 20˚-25˚ warmer than the ambient temp. On the freeway driving a constant 70 mph, it would drop to around 15˚ warmer. After replacing it with the OEM enclosed box, my temps dropped to 10˚-15˚ warmer driving around town and on the freeway the intake temp stays virtually the same temp as the ambient temp. This leads me to believe hot engine air is being drawn into the intake and while I might be getting the most air with the super large air filter of the JLT, I would rather have cooler air going into the intake.

One other thing as Jaime had stated was water getting into the intake of the JLT. I don't always install the rain cover on the air vent when I wash the car (I don't spray water directly into the vent anyway) and the filter would get wet. Like Jaime, I am not after the fastest car. I am very happy with the stock OEM enclosed box with the S&B filter and pretty sure I will stay this way.

Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
The JLT design is a closed box not drawing air from under the hood. Once you close the hood, a seal is formed on the top portion. It is very similar to the GT350

The plenum is large, and the filter is much bigger than stock. Furthermore, the filter has an inverted cone on the end increasing surface area. It seems to be a better engineered solution as opposed to the garage parts (non) CAI that has been presented here.

Tom, you posted this while I was typing my post above. The JLT CAI, at least the one I had on my car, was not a closed box. When the hood was down, it did not make a perfect seal against the top rubber gasket of the JLT box. In fact in only touched it in one small area. Besides that, a good part of the box was in the vent area of the hood so with the rain tray off, you can look directly into the JLT box and see the filter. That is why the filter would get wet very easily if the rain tray was off and the car got wet.

Also, the filter JLT uses for their CAI is an S&B with the inverted cone just like the one I replaced my OEM filter with except it is a little smaller.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom, you posted this while I was typing my post above. The JLT CAI, at least the one I had on my car, was not a closed box. When the hood was down, it did not make a perfect seal against the top rubber gasket of the JLT box. In fact in only touched it in one small area. Besides that, a good part of the box was in the vent area of the hood so with the rain tray off, you can look directly into the JLT box and see the filter. That is why the filter would get wet very easily if the rain tray was off and the car got wet.

Also, the filter JLT uses for their CAI is an S&B with the inverted cone just like the one I replaced my OEM filter with except it is a little smaller.
I'll have to have a look at it. I'm yet to remove the rain tray, but will re-examine my initial observations.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
My question is with it being forced induction would a ram air like intake have any benefits? Can the engine take in more air than the supercharger can pump? I would think air is still being drawn over the intake even with the hood vent. But what do I know, I'm not an engineer.
You always benefit from reducing pressure drops (air density drops) on the way to the cylinder. The supercharger increases pressure (density), the intercooler increases pressure (density), but higher pressure getting to those power adders will always mean more air density to the engine and more power. That's why big, smooth air intake tubes are good and these monster filters. Those large air flow paths are reducing the pressure drops to the engine starting the entire process at a higher pressure (air density).

As soon as you start drawing in engine compartment temperature air though, pressure and density will decrease and you are losing potential power. Best case scenario is you are drawing in ambient temp air at atmospheric pressure right to your supercharger. Anything other than that means not having max power for those conditions. Of course, you'll want an air filter, so the less pressure drop the better.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I am remembering this from decades ago (i have 97 Ram air TA) so i could be off and don't know the actual number so take it for what its worth. But seems the 'Ram Air' effect as pertaining to intake is negligible and only see it in triple digit speeds if at all. The Ram Air effect has more to do with cold air than actual Ram/forced Air. Again this is my memory from years ago please correct me if I am wrong. Seems i remember in the quarter mile it didn't come into play...

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase

Tom, the JLT design is supposed to seal it self up against the hood when it’s close. As Mark has mentioned, that isn’t always the case.

And by concerns of water, I mean when washing the car and having water enter through the heat vent. I didn’t mean through the snout in the grill. For me specifically, the Shelby Signature Eddition hood will have even more vents on it, which are directly over the filter.

I also was avoiding any negative comments towards each of the companies. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I like the 1320 Junkie better than the boring plastic JLT. And honestly, to me for what it’s worth, I think the 1320 also looks better. Again, just my preference which means nothing. Opinions are like assholes, LOL.
Sponsored

Last edited: