Sponsored

2020 GT500 CFTP Destroys C8 Corvette - Motortrend Comparison Review

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I just saw this and will respond before I take said break. Please enlighten me as to what is so stupid about this. And enough with this name calling bullshit. You are just a fuckhead wanna be YouTube cheerleader that apparently only does corners to turn around to go back a 1/4 mile to the start line. So what do you supposedly know about road racing and either respond to the content of the post or go fuck your self and shut the fuck up.
Can you tell me step by step the process one needs to do a track alignment- lets start there

then, lets talk the process to do a launch at a dragstrip..

lets rule out that you even know what it is your discussing. I dont think you do

on one hand you say, a track is a track is a track.. then you say, you understand DA, prep, conditions etc.. and none of that matters, because a track is a track, so you make 0 sense. your own logic doesnt make sense
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
In the case of MT they did do a before and after track alignment test on the C8 on the track. It was a 2-3 second difference if I recall.
Yes, they did. I am sure GM wanted to see what it would do with street alignment.

Last edited:

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
It's funny how camaro folks were bitching that mustang GT's weren't stock when people lower the tire pressure, run a 1/4 tank of fuel, rent a dragstrip and early stage their vehicles to get the best 1/4 mile times....but suddenly doing a full suspension adjustment using specialized tools is suddenly considered stock?
I do remember these conversations over on the other forum :)

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
It's funny how camaro folks were bitching that mustang GT's weren't stock when people lower the tire pressure, run a 1/4 tank of fuel, rent a dragstrip and early stage their vehicles to get the best 1/4 mile times....but suddenly doing a full suspension adjustment using specialized tools is suddenly considered stock?
For the record, not all Camaro folks bitch about that. Those that do, do but should not be assumed to speak for all Camaro-dom. I tend to compartmentalize performance metrics based on how / where / why they are achieved. That's why I am comfortable with comparing VIR results with VIR results and less comfortable with comparing street results with track results.

As far as the changes to the Z51 suspension, I look at it this way... MT was given that car to test pretty much as they saw fit and they eventually wound up writing at least three differently focused articles from that same vehicle. They received the car in the morning, did their thing during the day, returned the vehicle in the evening. This went on for at least a week, maybe longer. Other magazines got the same treatment. On the day that they decided "let's road course this puppy" GM more than likely said "hold your horses sparky...give us a minute to adjust it the way we would have sent it to you for road course work". The difference is, they get to see the adjustment happen as opposed to having it come of the truck that way.

Here's a question... During the Las Vegas drive, were any CFTPs run on the drag strip or did Ford set it up with base running the drag strip and CFTP running the road course? The reason I ask is because it may be possible that they may have been suspension aligned for their specific roles for that event. Absolutely nothing wrong with that if they did. The point being to showcase the full potential of what the car can do.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Dodge Demon crate, anyone?
Stock 2020 GT500 = With roll cage looks like according to people on here. But I cannot seem to find it on the Ford build site.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Dodge Demon crate, anyone?
damnit, you beat me to it.

meanwhile, my ZLE is still in track alignment (I’m seeing if it eats tires, but not enough street miles to tell yet). i don’t consider this a “mod”, it comes adjustable with instructions on how to do so in the owner’s manual. seems like a normal thing to do before going to the track, does the 500 have these adjustments easily/readily made?

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Can you tell me step by step the process one needs to do a track alignment- lets start there

then, lets talk the process to do a launch at a dragstrip..

lets rule out that you even know what it is your discussing. I dont think you do

on one hand you say, a track is a track is a track.. then you say, you understand DA, prep, conditions etc.. and none of that matters, because a track is a track, so you make 0 sense. your own logic doesnt make sense
You obviously don't know what you are talking about when it comes to a road track.

Simple question, are all 1/4 mile tracks a 1/4 mile? Obviously yes and both cars are on an even playing field to set them up for whatever the conditions are for that 1/4 mile.

Are all road courses the same? Obviously no, and some cars really shine on some and some don't on others regardless of setup. For the last time, big heavy HP cars are obviously better suited to long straits and less corners where they can use that HP. Smaller lighter cars will have the advantage and majorly close the gap on a smaller tighter track.

I really don't get why this hard to understand.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Track alignment is absolutely a mod. An OEM will not release a car with track alignment because:

worse mpg
More emissions
Extreme tire wear
Chance of oversteer in traffic
Crazy tramlining

The way the cars are driven off the lot is what needs to be compared. It’s awesome GM does have track settings for the car however
So when a GT500 owner goes to the drag strip they shouldn't use drag strip mode when they are drag racing? Of course they should, it came from the factory that way to be able to change the cars configuration for that task.

When the same person takes GT500/350 or ZL1 etc to the road track they should do the same alignment wise. It comes from the factory with the ability to do this and specifically spells it out in the manuals. If you are going for a casual track day (like we have here with SCCA TA/3 20 minute sessions on a small course) leave it in street mode. If you are going for a full track day/weekend nobody leaves it in street alignment if they have any idea what they are doing. Hence why manufacturers allow this and publish it in their manuals.

Again, I can't believe this actually needs to be explained here. Who cares if it is being done manually or electronically, it is trying to do the same thing. Set the car up from what the factory allows for the task at hand.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Too bad Motor Trend didn't do a track alignment for the GT500.

Of course if they had it would have been the first..cough, cough - I guess the second --- time they EVER did it. They've tested LITERALLY HUNDREDS of cars and NEVER EVER did a track alignment before.

Huh.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Track alignment is absolutely a mod. An OEM will not release a car with track alignment because:

worse mpg
More emissions
Extreme tire wear
Chance of oversteer in traffic
Crazy tramlining

The way the cars are driven off the lot is what needs to be compared. It’s awesome GM does have track settings for the car however
In the MT H2H, it says the Base GT500 had a street alignment, so that means the CFTP did not.

upload_2020-1-8_8-5-59.png

CFTP has mods....

upload_2020-1-8_8-7-23.png

And more MODS

upload_2020-1-8_8-8-29.png

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Too bad Motor Trend didn't do a track alignment for the GT500.

Of course if they had it would have been the first..cough, cough - I guess the second --- time they EVER did it. They've tested LITERALLY HUNDREDS of cars and NEVER EVER did a track alignment before.

Huh.
You honestly believe that thing came of the truck with a roll cage installed and not in Fords track alignment settings?
Sponsored