2020 GT500 CFTP Destroys C8 Corvette - Motortrend Comparison Review

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
So again, they went to a road course, but not a dragstrip..
Why go to vir at all when a local neighborhood would be sufficient to test the "real world" handling
Seriously? A 1/4 mile is a 1/4 mile. I get areas, altitudes, climate, and track conditions vary. But, it's still a 1/4 mile. As long as the conditions and days are similar for testing I don't see the problem with it.

There are obviously many different styles of tracks (and different configurations in one location as well) that one may bring their car to. The GT500/C8 track they tested on is the full VIR course and very HP friendly. Most tracks are not set up that way and that is one of the fastest I'm told in the US for a straight away etc. For me I'm mainly waiting to see the Laguna Seca times and some other tracks for a better comparison. I'm sure the GT500 CTFP will do well there so don't worry.

I'm thinking, at least hoping you already know all of this though.
Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
In the real world where most of us live a performance car than can “only” do mid 3 sec runs to 60 might get embarrassed from time to time. I’d hate to know I put a lot of time, money and effort into moding a car only to get smoked by a stock version of a cheaper car at a random stop light in the real world.
And these cars are hard to get the advertised 0-60 time in the real world as well, especially spontaneously.

I hate street racing, but I can see a ton of modded GT500s tearing up the roll racing leagues in Mexico.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
So I guess if the “rules” are ignore everything that happened at VIR, GT500 rules because at the very least, Corvette hasn’t run there. Yet. Or, we can include VIR, but ignore the quarter mile and 0-60 because.... well, just because.
1/4 mile test done on non-prepped surfaces are to be taken with a grain of salt. We can't legally race these on the streets, so the real numbers that matter are what they actually do down the drag-strip, plain and simple. Anyone paying attention would be looking adamantly into the MPH these two vehicles run.

If you want to get into the illegal street racing game, yes...the corvette is going to kill the GT500 from a stop. So will a variety of electric and all wheel drive vehicles.

As someone else previously mentioned, for some reason GM fans claim the Camaro SS is a 11 second 1/4 mile car...yet not a single magazine time has come close to running 11 seconds. Likewise, the ZL1 is somehow a 10 second car with very...very few ever accomplishing such in mine-shaft air at a dragstrip, and again...magazines test these . Yet somehow the GT500 is a low-mid 11 second car as only magazine times now matter for the 1/4 mile. The goalposts keep moving.

And now knowing that the c8 and GT500 were run on different days, I'm throwing out the track results all together for direct comparison. The base c8 quite frankly could be quicker (or even slower yet) than the GT500 based on varying track conditions. How this wasn't revealed in the article sooner is beyond me. It's deceptive journalism at it's finest. Motortrend is going downhill fast.

Last edited:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
And these cars are hard to get the advertised 0-60 time in the real world as well, especially spontaneously.

I hate street racing, but I can see a ton of modded GT500s tearing up the roll racing leagues in Mexico.
Seems pretty easy to me to rip off a random 3.6 0-60 in the GT500.

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
1/4 mile test done on non-prepped surfaces are to be taken with a grain of salt. We can't legally race these on the streets, so the real numbers that matter are what they actually do down the drag-strip, plain and simple. Anyone paying attention would be looking adamantly into the MPH these two vehicles run.

If you want to get into the illegal street racing game, yes...the corvette is going to kill the GT500 from a stop. So will a variety of electric and all wheel drive vehicles.

As someone else previously mentioned, for some reason GM fans claim the Camaro SS is a 11 second 1/4 mile car...yet not a single magazine time has come close to running 11 seconds. Likewise, the ZL1 is somehow a 10 second car with very...very few ever accomplishing such in mine-shaft air at a dragstrip, and again...magazines test these . Yet somehow the GT500 is a low-mid 11 second car as only magazine times now matter for the 1/4 mile. The goalposts keep moving.

And now knowing that the c8 and GT500 were run on different days, I'm throwing out the track results all together for direct comparison. The base c8 quite frankly could be quicker (or even slower yet) than the GT500 based on varying track conditions. How this wasn't revealed in the article sooner is beyond me. It's deceptive journalism at it's finest. Motortrend is going downhill fast.
Umm I believe I’ve been misquoted.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Seems pretty easy to me to rip off a random 3.6 0-60 in the GT500.

Maybe, I haven't driven one. Certain cars are harder to launch than others. Some of the videos I've seen the GT500 has a hard time putting the power down for a good 0-60 launch on street like conditions. No different than any other high HP front drive car I've seen and to be expected. The CTFP probably will have an easier item with the Cup 2s if they have enough heat in them.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
That road course was a drag strip with a few turns. I’d be worried the c8 was that close with 495 NA hp.
I wouldn't. The c8 is performing precisely where you would expect a mid engine 500BHP car to perform.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Maybe, I haven't driven one. Certain cars are harder to launch than others. Some of the videos I've seen the GT500 has a hard time putting the power down for a good 0-60 launch on street like conditions. No different than any other high HP front drive car I've seen and to be expected. The CTFP probably will have an easier item with the Cup 2s if they have enough heat in them.
Like any other car, I expect those 0-60 times to be quite temperature dependent. On cold pavement, forget it.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Geeze, guys, this thread is out of control. Whaddaya say we all just buy the cars we want and be done with it?

Allow me to suggest that you give it a rest and head on back to Corvetteburg.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I wouldn't. The c8 is performing precisely where you would expect a mid engine 500BHP car to perform.
Exactly. Chevy had a fine performer in the C7 front engine design. They went to mid engine for this exact reason. I don’t profess to be a genius. But it seams that a few Commentators could benefit from a high school physics class.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
so its required to go to a location that was built designed and optimum conditions thats open to anyone, with a pro driver, to extract the best possible outcome for the roadcourse, but a random writer on a dusty section of road is ok for 1/4 mile..? if that makes sense to you.. well then, go buy your bargain buy :)
My idea since the C8 got a tracked tuned suspension adjustment would be to put DR's on the GT500 at least since since the average owner could do that faster than a team of engineers can dial a suspension set up....but again the whole article seems to wanna extract the preferred propaganda...

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
My idea since the C8 got a tracked tuned suspension adjustment would be to put DR's on the GT500 at least since since the average owner could do that faster than a team of engineers can dial a suspension set up....but again the whole article seems to wanna extract the preferred propaganda...
I love how a track alignment is somehow a mod now. :crackup::crazy:

How about the GT500 doesn’t get to go into drag mode “modding” its suspension.

Some of you guys just keep delivering. :clap:

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Front engine or mid engine. 760hp vs 495 NA hp. Don’t need a physics lesson. Maybe a geography lesson. Not sure where Corvetteburg is. Is it next to Mustangville. You guys crack me up. Thumping chests over one fish wraps “comparison” God forbid the mighty 500 gets smoked by another car. Wait is that even possible?

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
I love how a track alignment is somehow a mod now. :crackup::crazy:
still looks like a 3 second mod to me.....btw is taking a car to a road course any different than taking one to a dragstrip?
Sponsored