Sponsored

2020 GT500 Brake life and Tire life vs grip. Personal experience.

Richard Shannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
3-20 GT500, 17 GT350, 18 Z06, 08 F360, 2) MX-5s
I have 2 2020 GT500s we use for track. Red and Green. The red has seen one more track weekend than green.

BRAKES: (Red)I just measured my pads after my event at Homestead/Miami yesterday, and i am down to .175" (.4" original) That is after 2 days at Gateway, St. Louis, 2 rainy days at Heartland, Kansas and 2 days at Homestead, FL. I have replacement pads and the aforementioned bolts ready to go. I wonder if NAPA can machine the rotors, On the last day, my brakes had some shutter. (Green) All track days above EXCEPT Gateway and pads are down to .225.

TIRES: (Green) Track Tire update! I installed a set of Supercar 3R tires and they lasted ONE day at Homestead, MIAMI! Totally toast! (Using vorshlag camber plates at -2.5) Pictures to follow! Rear tires are at wear markers and front-right outside edges are down to the second layer of rubber! Front-right at wear markers (we did run the car in 2 run groups with 2 drivers, so essentially 2 days)

My other GT500 (Red) with sport cup 2s and same camber have tire life remaining, I'd say one more day with a rotation left-right.

Supercar 3R DO GRIP better (1 second better lap)! But 100 vs 180 treadwear, and you get one hard day vs 2! I will be "sticking" with staggered sport cup 2s from now on. With staggered I get a little more rear life vs front.

Green got a chip in the windshield that almost immediately turned into a crack towards the end of the track day :(

84196FD1-9360-4328-B6EE-C88208EEE38F.jpeg

21AE8763-FCC3-4F0F-AEC4-7645EF54B565.jpeg

0EDA289E-7A1A-413A-BA8E-1810654D8C27.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I cracked my windshield on my very first track day. Welcome to the club 😆
Something to consider on your comment about turning your red car rotors...
So as I'm sure you know, the rotors are essentially just a heat sink for the braking system. Pads clamp down and reject heat into the rotors and they dissipate that heat into the surrounding air. In a street car, turning rotors is usually fine cause you aren't braking that hard. However, on a track car, by removing material from your "heat sinks" you will in theory overheat your brakes sooner because there will be less thermal mass.

Now again, this is theory but it makes logical sense. I haven't tested it, not sure if someone else has first hand experience with this or not. I have seen quite a few comments from reputable people say not to turn track rotors for this reason.

Another thought: maybe your rotors aren't warped but have pad deposits built up. A more aggressive pad will take that off. (Not sure if you're on track pads or OEM)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
However, on a track car, by removing material from your "heat sinks" you will in theory overheat your brakes sooner because there will be less thermal mass.

Now again, this is theory but it makes logical sense. I haven't tested it, not sure if someone else has first hand experience with this or not.
The logic is solid.

I used to do thermal transient analysis (rapid temperature changes in power plant piping) back when I had that thing called a day job. Same principles apply here, minus consideration of insulation.

Norm

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
What is your brake setup?

Stock fluid, pads, rotors?

-

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I turned a set of rear 2 piece ones against online recommendations of both dont turn track day rotors, and you are not supposed to turn 2 piece rotors. I thought I had beat the odds as my first day after I had turned them there was no vibration or any other issue. The next track day one cracked and cut my day short. I will probably be in the dont turn track day rotors from now on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Richard Shannon

Richard Shannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Stock pads and rotors, but Castrol SRF fluid. I was told the stock pads and rotors do very well (They do!) I did not get pulsations until this last track day. I think i did not do a proper re-bed after street driving it some. I went one lap easy and then hot on lap 2.

OP
OP
Richard Shannon

Richard Shannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have the correct part number for 2020 GT500 front rotors? The parts schematics are a little strange on these parts warehouse sites. It appears there is a right and left rotor (weird). I can not find Girodisc rotors for it either.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have the correct part number for 2020 GT500 front rotors? The parts schematics are a little strange on these parts warehouse sites. It appears there is a right and left rotor (weird). I can not find Girodisc rotors for it either.
They be left/right specific because they might have directional vanes.

I would just call a dealer and ask them for the part number(s).
Since the 500 is so new and uses larger rotors, Girodisc might not have a version out yet for it.

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
Stock pads and rotors, but Castrol SRF fluid. I was told the stock pads and rotors do very well (They do!) I did not get pulsations until this last track day. I think i did not do a proper re-bed after street driving it some. I went one lap easy and then hot on lap 2.
Ok, cool. I have some sealed SRF :D
Sponsored