Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Gary: I spent two deployments to Bermuda in the '80s and yeah, it was rough duty. <grin>

We took 43 new Kawasaki 100s over there and tore that island UP, man (but on the other side of the street.)

Strange place, Bermuda.
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Vlad: The dial is a non-issue for me. Never even look at it, my hand now goes to it just like it did the shifter in my '14. Seriously, it's truly a non-issue.
I'm sure it's perfectly fine in practice, and when I drove a Jaguar with it I had no trouble. But it looks wrong to me. And it feels wrong. I like to grab the gear lever without even looking and then do a swift movement with my whole arm, a movement that's as instictive as walking, rather than reach for a small knob and carefully do a precision movement with my fingertips. I want to feel that I'm driving a car, not a laptop. :blush:
I've got nothing against electronic gear selectors. I love the ones in BMWs or Minis (which look like normal gear levers), or those in some Mercedeses (behind the steering wheel). The Mercedes van I rented last summer had the gear lever behind the steering wheel, and I fell in love with it on the spot. It was awesome. So it's not the electronic part that's bothering me, but just the way it looks and feels, and the precision movement you have to do to operate it.
I'm also not fond of the electric parking brake.
Oh well... I guess I'm getting old... :D

As an aside, is there any upside for having an electronic gear control and an electric parking brake? I mean, does the car take advantage of them to make some things easier for you? For instance, go to Park automatically when you turn off the engine, or release the parking brake automatically when you put it in Drive or Reverse, or other such things?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Vlad: Yes, the electric parking brake will release when you put the car in gear.

But, if you just have to have a traditional shifter, go for a 350 or a used '13/'14 500.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No, I wouldn't choose my car based on the gear selector type (unless everything else were equal, of course). There's more to a car than that. It's just something I don't particularly like, but certainly no show stopper.
Besides, I can't afford a 350 either. I can barely afford the GT that's currently sitting on the assembly line waiting for better times. :)

The Mercedes van I drove last summer went a bit further. Besides releasing the parking brake upon engaging D or R, turning off the engine while in D or R would automatically engage P and would automatically set the parking brake.
That the software was buggy and this only worked about sixty percent of the time, that's a different story. :cwl:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
@Classic Lover no problem at all. Like KB said, the former British colonies are the main RHD countries. Also Japan, which is the first place I personally experienced it. The oddest thing for me was not driving on the "wrong" side of the road or that right turns become left and vice versa; it was shifting with my left hand...odd!!! The pattern and pedals are the same, but it's like shifting from the passenger seat. In fact I was talking to Scott Mansell from Driver61 about some very affordable, high quality track instruction he offered, but turned it down because I felt I would be distracted by the weird shifting thing.

As for the rest of Europe (EU and non-EU like Norway) it's drive right pass left--quite organized. Made me think of this video I shared a few months after I got my 1st GT350 (sorry for the sound):

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's not just shifting with the left hand. It's operating everything with your left hand - radio, climate control, navigation, CarPlay, everything. Those cars are designed for lefties. And while there's absolutely nothing wrong with being left-handed, the truth is that most of the population is not.
I'm sure I could easily get used to driving on the left side of the road. But not with driving from the right side of the car.
Besides, in a LHD car the wheel arch offers a perfect space for a rest pedal, while to the right there's plenty of space to put the gas pedal and to use it comfortably. In a RHD car the wheel arch stands in your way, while to the left there's no dedicated space for resting your left foot. I'm sure there are solutions for all that, but in a LHD car you don't need solutions because there's no problem in the first place.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I don't have enough mental processing capacity left to notice the radio and other accessories when driving a RHD car :)

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Being from UK, the 500 being an auto (unlike the 350) does not make so much of difference it being LHD as not having to shift with right hand - which just feels weird. Although splashing that amount of cash and not having a warranty would be a deal breaker for many people. Even so, I'd still take a 350 over a 500.

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
I would like to see how much we can get it in the UK, I would love one if I could afford one :crying:, maybe a challenge to convert it to driving on the left but I wouldn't want to chop up a £100k car...

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
importing one pivately to Sweden would be in the ballpark of about 106-107K USD approx. 96-97K EUR, that calculation is a on base price GT500 with no mark up and the current exchange rates

this is including 10% import fee, 25% VAT, 1.5% insurance cost, unloading of container etc

Considering that a Cayman GTS is about 90k EUR it's a pretty good deal even with the import fees etc. However not having any warranty is one of the bigger drawbacks...

Last edited:

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
importing one pivately to Sweden would be in the ballpark of about 106-107K USD approx. 96-97K EUR, that calculation is a on base price GT500 with no mark up and the current exchange rates

this is including 10% import fee, 25% VAT, 1.5% insurance cost, unloading of container etc

Considering that a Cayman GTS is about 90k EUR it's a pretty good deal even with the import fees etc. However not having any warranty is one of the bigger drawbacks...
Would you not have to add the USA state sales tax, license and fees into your calculation?
If you are talking about a new "base price GT500 with no mark up" then how do you export from the USA with out a "title" as that is what is required for the export docs.
For a title = sales tax, license and fees

Last edited:

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sales tax depends on the state and it is also deductible when exporting, cumbersome but still possible. Some states have 0 and it goes up to 9%.

Also I am not sure what mark up or not has to do anything with getting the appropriate documents or not.
The example given was for simplicity with regards to not calculating on a mark-up
There is a $1,095 for destination and delivery, and $2,600 for a gas-guzzler tax which are included in 73990 as far as I know.

This is as exact calc I can get and it included registration, MOT(similar to MOT), euroconversion etc.
it ads up to 98.7K EUR or 108.9K USD for a list base price 2020 GT500. This also includes a broker fee(middle hand) for the inland transport in US for around 2K USD

Also VAT in Austria is 20% compare to 25% in Sweden.

Anteckning 2020-03-30 142408.png

I will leave it at that and no I would never pay ADM

Would you not have to add the USA sales tax and tags into your calculation?
If you are talking about a new "base price GT500 with no mark up" then how do you export from the USA with out a "title" as that is what is required for the export docs.
Sponsored

Last edited: