Sponsored

2020 GT350R - Spare set of wheels/tires options?

Shelbyfam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I recently took delivery of my new 2020 Shelby. It has been getting the clear bra added and it has just a few miles on it. In those miles just driving it to the shop for the PPF I noticed that the "bubble gum" sticky tires are throwing rocks and collecting them on the rockers. I also want to be sure that the factory carbon rims stay in perfect order.

1. Does anyone offer a set of rims that look and are sized to the same spec as the carbon GT350R rims but made in aluminum? That way I could use them for daily driving and get another set of tires such as P4S's?

2. What tire would be a good daily driver choice and where do I get a set of rims factory or not that are the same size as what I have now?

3. Anyone have any good daily driver wheel, tires options and opinions?

Anyone have any opinions or links they can throw at me so I can get a spare set of tires and get out and enjoy this without worrying about the tires I have on it. I want to save the factory tires and rims for my track day events.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shelbyfam

Shelbyfam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Pics added
20200725_192618.jpg
20200725_192516.jpg
20200725_192451.jpg

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on your GT 350 R it’s beautiful!! I’m sure you’re more than knowledgeable on what and why the “R “ is Built this way ! The cup”2”s spec for the chassis set up with those cf wheels . So for the streets de- tuning “ I’m not in favor of the more flexible ( alloy wheels can move as much as 1” degree of positive camber under side force “) and heavier ( bad sprung to unsprung ride problems and handling ) . Hit a bump ? Spyder Composites fixes your dinged rim edges that would probably have bent your alloys anyway . Tires ? 35 series will give you more cushion room and available street friendly treads . I have “ expel “ protecting my rear quarters for the rocks that are being thrown at them. And you can cut some foam rubber in black and fit it to those openings on the lower spat openings if you want to slow down those rocks going through there. But you will lose the downforce that is created by the spats at high speed . As a side note , search out Hunter “ reps in your area and they will give you the location of where their tire changing touchless machines are. I also think we should thank Billy Johnson for all the research and development work he did on The GT350R just the way it is ! So as for me I would add the rubber blocks and expel and find beautiful roads with low gravel and try to stay in the most driven lines of the roads .

OP
OP
Shelbyfam

Shelbyfam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Congratulations on your GT 350 R it’s beautiful!! I’m sure you’re more than knowledgeable on what and why the “R “ is Built this way ! The cup”2”s spec for the chassis set up with those cf wheels . So for the streets de- tuning “ I’m not in favor of the more flexible ( alloy wheels can move as much as 1” degree of positive camber under side force “) and heavier ( bad sprung to unsprung ride problems and handling ) . Hit a bump ? Spyder Composites fixes your dinged rim edges that would probably have bent your alloys anyway . Tires ? 35 series will give you more cushion room and available street friendly treads . I have “ expel “ protecting my rear quarters for the rocks that are being thrown at them. And you can cut some foam rubber in black and fit it to those openings on the lower spat openings if you want to slow down those rocks going through there. But you will lose the downforce that is created by the spats at high speed . As a side note , search out Hunter “ reps in your area and they will give you the location of where their tire changing touchless machines are. I also think we should thank Billy Johnson for all the research and development work he did on The GT350R just the way it is ! So as for me I would add the rubber blocks and expel and find beautiful roads with low gravel and try to stay in the most driven lines of the roads .
Thank you for the response and yes the GT350R is super special indeed! ;)
Would it be better to just keep the composite carbon wheels installed and just replace the tires then with a more everyday driver option? Or would it be better to keep the original wheels stock and find a second set? What is the best road worthy tire to choose for the carbon wheels? I have already done the expel and I just found those foam/rubber blocks for the "gap" behind the wheel well. As for the "Hunter reps" are you referring to a company that can replace the tires without dinging the carbon wheels? I have always used Costco for my tire needs. What would be a better shop that can do it right without any fuss? Would it be better to have the Ford dealership in the area make the change in tires? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the response and yes the GT350R is super special indeed! ;)
Would it be better to just keep the composite carbon wheels installed and just replace the tires then with a more everyday driver option? Or would it be better to keep the original wheels stock and find a second set? What is the best road worthy tire to choose for the carbon wheels? I have already done the expel and I just found those foam/rubber blocks for the "gap" behind the wheel well. As for the "Hunter reps" are you referring to a company that can replace the tires without dinging the carbon wheels? I have always used Costco for my tire needs. What would be a better shop that can do it right without any fuss? Would it be better to have the Ford dealership in the area make the change in tires? Any help would be appreciated.
Once again I’m hoping that you’re as smitten with the GT350R ‘s total design as I am . That being said . Hunter is a mfg. of a touch less tire changing machine; my local Ford store has one, the rims are not touched at any time except the center and they even have a sleeve for that. As for tires I’m trying my memory from Billy Johnson? and a squared 305 set up of ps4’s as an Acceptable street compromise. As for the carbon fiber wheels ? Yes enjoy them for their better ride , overall performance and wheel turn in response and use Adams ceramic coating and with their detailer and microfiber cloth I’m able to keep them clean and keep my original Brake Pads. And at some know I like to say “history repeats itself” , untold many would complain about the 427 and 289 cobras on the street because their feet would get hot or the tires would break away to easily with the engine power and they had no roll up windows so as you get my point you have an “R” not a regular GT 350 . I’m embracing the extra care that it takes to own one of these as a special reward to me personally.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
Congratulations on your new Shelby. I do not daily my Shelby, and I enjoy my CF wheels for the early mornings that I get out for some spirited driving. I am just mindful of the road choices that I elect to run. If you are needing a second set for daily driving, I would keep a careful eye on this websites classified section for used CF wheels. Heck, earlier this month a full set new in open boxes was just sold by a trusted seller for $10k. All the best to you.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
JLT rockblockers, at the very least for those rocker panel rocks... to protect the hind quarters there are multiple front fender flaps that provide ample rock blockage.

@50 Deep is who I’ll be going to for street wheels, if I do get some.

Tire-wise... that depends on whether you’re gonna get R-spec wheels, 20” wheels or a square setup.

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
You don’t need street wheels. Your R came with the baddest wheels on the market. Get some tires more suitable for the street. You can broaden your choices with a 30 series tire front and rear with a 305 up front and. 325 in the rear.
I never understood buying this car with these badass wheels and putting them on a shelf to preserve them. For what? The next owner to enjoy? Do you really want to drop 5k+ on alloys that you’ll worry about all the time too?
These Carbon rims are strong. You hit something hard enough to damage one of these you can count on that same impact destroying an expensive forged aluminum wheel.
Now if the roads in you area are just shit like Long Island, NY for example, then yes, I get wanting street wheels and would look towards something a little more wallet friendly like the LMR SVE wheels.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The SVE R350 are a replica of the GT350R wheels in flow formed aluminum. https://lmr.com/item/WK-177912H/sve-r350-wheel-kit-black-19x10-11-15-18
I have the Mustang GT version, and really like them. They're pretty light, though not as light as the factory Shelby CF wheels. That said, unless the roads are terrible, I'd probably just use the factory wheels. I would think insurance would cover any wheel damage, no? You might want to check w/ your insurance agent. You will want to make sure the extra expense of CF repair is covered - work that out w/ your agent to make sure you have the right coverages.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I recently took delivery of my new 2020 Shelby. It has been getting the clear bra added and it has just a few miles on it. In those miles just driving it to the shop for the PPF I noticed that the "bubble gum" sticky tires are throwing rocks and collecting them on the rockers. I also want to be sure that the factory carbon rims stay in perfect order.

1. Does anyone offer a set of rims that look and are sized to the same spec as the carbon GT350R rims but made in aluminum? That way I could use them for daily driving and get another set of tires such as P4S's?

2. What tire would be a good daily driver choice and where do I get a set of rims factory or not that are the same size as what I have now?

3. Anyone have any good daily driver wheel, tires options and opinions?

Anyone have any opinions or links they can throw at me so I can get a spare set of tires and get out and enjoy this without worrying about the tires I have on it. I want to save the factory tires and rims for my track day events.

Any help would be appreciated.
Prior to you purchasing your 2020 R did you do any research as to the characteristics and all of the specifications of your R model with respect to using your cool R model as a daily driver as there are many issues and concerns to be looked at when daily driving an R model?

If you intend on using your R model as a daily driver how many miles do you estimate that you will put on your car from such activities as driving to and from work, local chores, vacations, business trips and of course driving to and from car events and enjoying your great car for what it is?

As a general rule your Cup 2 tires should last ~10,000 miles based on reasonable and conservative driving practices and obviously certainly a great deal less miles if your car is subjected to any track events after which time a set of tires could be used up in one weekend all dependent on the road course design, amount of track time at the event and how aggressive you are with your car with respect to braking, steering, acceleration and alignment setup?

Also, have you given any thought to possibly changing out your front chin spoiler as I would suggest that it will not last very long as a daily driver at least based on my experience of owning a number of these cars?

Adam, looking forward to your detailed response and congratulations on owning the very best R model of the last 6 model years produced at the FRAP!

:clap::clap:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Isolated experience.... laugh out loud.

Search carbon fiber wheel damage in the search function.

Here is another example. I bought this wheel a while back for an undisclosed amount. He didn't want to deal with the $800 price quote as well as the hassle and expense of shipping and waiting.

Sure, I could ship it off and get it fixed for the cost of over $1000, but instead it will probably just remain a conversation piece.

run these wheels on the street and it is just a matter of when, not if they get damaged.

20200822_215224.jpg

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I question people that are hell bent on pushing false narratives that you WILL damage your CF wheels if you choose to use them on the street. That is not fact but rather an experience you had to deal with.
So when do you suggest using these badass wheels Tommy? On the track where all those little pebbles are that you worry about?
Eric, of the ~3.500 R's that will have been built over the course of the last 6 model years you can be rest assured that the majority of these ~3,500 R model owners will not and have no intention of tracking their R models.

With that being the case the majority of R model owners will and have delegated their R's to street and highway use only and for anyone to suggest that it is just a matter of time before damage will defintely be sustained to our CF wheels is just not true.

In my case I have owned 4 R models and have driven them in 2 different provinces up in Canada and have also driven those same cars in 3 different States in the U.S. and have not sustained any damage to any of my 16 CF wheels over the last 4 years.

Have I put on as many miles as many other owners, absolutely not but I do have a great deal of car buddies on both sides of the border that have or presently own R models and can think of only one person that may have had an issue and that was numerous years ago and not even sure if much or any damage was incurred.

If the brake caliper clearance and the CF wheel offset was such a chronic issue especially at ~$6,000 each (the price that I was quoted last time I looked at buying a spare) for the ~14,000 CF wheels in question I would suggest that Ford, Brembo and CF Revolution would have dealt with this issue a very long time ago which would have involved either modifying the brake caliper and/or wheel offset or would have discontinued using the CF wheel and gone with an aluminum wheel or used a different Brembo brake caliper because of so many chronic issues.

I am not suggesting that CF wheels do not get damaged from rocks and/or pebbles getting caught up in the Brembo brake calipers as that can and has certainly happened but not to the extent that all R's will sustain CF wheel damage at some point.

Bottom line is that Ford, Brembo, Carbon Revolution and Michelin developed this very cool wheel, tire and brake package some 6 years ago and without question this combination is certainly safe for sustained street/highway use and must mention that my wife and I again used up another half tank of fuel just this morning on the streets and backroads of the Arizona desert and without issue.

:like::like:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
With that being the case the majority of R model owners will and have delegated their R's to street and highway use only and for anyone to suggest that it is just a matter of time before damage will defintely be sustained to our CF wheels is just not true.
I'm afraid it is true. There have been multiple accounts here on the forum of carbon fiber wheel damage. We (as M6G member) represent a small percentage of actual R model owners. Considering the accounts documented over the years, i would like to see statistics from Ford pertaining to the amount of denied warranty claims. The last time i tried to buy a road Hazzard wheel warranty from Ford, they wouldn't sell me one for my latest GT350R. Why is that Harry? Wy would Ford discontinue a wheel Hazzard warranty for the GT350R?

In my case I have owned 4 R models and have driven them in 2 different provinces up in Canada and have also driven those same cars in 3 different States in the U.S. and have not sustained any damage to any of my 16 CF wheels over the last 4 years.
How many miles have your GT350Rs had before you sold them. You own oddball collector cars. And I bet with not too many miles on them. So how many miles were your Rs before you sold them? How many for the one or two you still have?
This is relevant in terms of exposure. If you are out on the road a lot, the more likely you are to have an incident. And then there is the wheel service. Go have your tires changed. You take a chance there too. I personally know of a situation where a guys CF wheels were significantly damaged during a tire change.

If the brake caliper clearance and the CF wheel offset was a chronic issue especially at ~$6,000 each (the price that I was quoted last time I looked at buying a spare) for the ~14,000 CF wheels in question I would suggest that Ford, Brembo and CF Revolution would have dealt with this issue a very long time ago which would have involved either modifying the brake caliper and/or wheel offset or would have discontinued using the CF wheel and gone with an aluminum wheel or used a different Brembo brake caliper because of so many chronic issues.
As I stated before, Ford wouldn't sell me a CF wheel warranty for my 18R. I think its obvious why. The CF wheel is such an integral part of the R and is very much responsible for the performance capabilities of the car. Im not surprised that the wheel has some limitations such as caliper clearance and susceptibility to road hazzard damage. But the price to pay for performance, right?

Well, that is my point earlier. Use the wheels where they are most suited, the track. As the other knucklehead tried to point out, that the track is full of rocks and hazzards. No, not really. Only on the street do I find that rocks are being thrown off from the cup2s and bouncing off the body. Thank God for xpel.

I think it is absurd to say that these wheels are suited for the street, especially at the cost of repair or replacement.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Oh, and here is the latest Ford brainstorm... tell me this isn't a problem down the road.

This is a CF wheel on the 2020 GT500CFTP

caliper clearance.jpeg
Sponsored