Sponsored

2020 GT350R - How to stop the loud BLAPPITY BLAH! at startup?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Or just press the start button to activate ACC power and wait 15 seconds before starting.
Sponsored

Shelby Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
None
While starting the car, press the gas pedal to the floor. It will not start. Let it turn over a couple of times then release the pedal. The car will start without the loud blurb.
For a different reason, a Ford technician told me about this. After an oil change, he said it helps pump the oil back into the engine before it starts.

OP
OP
JerkyChew

JerkyChew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2017 Raptor, 2020 GT350R
Thanks all, I'll try everything suggested (Clutch for a few seconds, ACC for a few, flooring it) and report back. If all else fails maybe the AWE Switchpath is an option.

I mean yeah it's funny and all but the tenant above my garage pays rent and it's a little unfair to tell him to just deal with it at 6 am. Maybe I can attach chains to my old Roombas and tow the car out each morning...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks all, I'll try everything suggested (Clutch for a few seconds, ACC for a few, flooring it) and report back. If all else fails maybe the AWE Switchpath is an option.

I mean yeah it's funny and all but the tenant above my garage pays rent and it's a little unfair to tell him to just deal with it at 6 am. Maybe I can attach chains to my old Roombas and tow the car out each morning...
You may also want to consider these.

https://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/sound-silencer/

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily

I'm really interested to hear how it works for you.

Sponsored

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

We have a walk in closet that is over our garage. My wife was getting dressed when I cold started mine and it scared the crap out of her. Lol.. So I can imagine if one is sleeping how that would be.

emcmtony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang S302 White Label
I kind of like my sound on startup. My neighbors have never said anything about it so I am not going to do anything about it.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
donā€™t be surprised if none of the suggestions work, because none of them worked on mine.

I was about to take the valves out and inspect and/or clean them even though they work perfectly after the loud start...

...but then we moved šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Personally I wouldn't try to make a cold start quieter, I would just be extra-extra nice to all my neighbors

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
My $.02ā€¦.
Don't piss off your neighbors if you can avoid it. No matter how much you hate a neighbor, if you canā€˜t get along with them they will not look after you if you need them to.
In my neighborhood I get along with everyone. Believe me itā€™s not easy but I sleep well at night because of it.
In my case, I keep the garage door down for a few moments after start up.

JC5188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Kona Blue
You are going to get a lot of people chiming in to say: "Push in on the clutch and keep it held down until you hear the exhaust valves stop cycling."
But that will NOT stop the 1 to 2 seconds of initial "Blappity Blah".
So I will insert a host of smart ass suggestions which I'm sure that more will follow after this post.
1. Move.
2. Get hearing impaired tenants.
3. Put potatoes in the pipes.
4. Buy an EcoBoost.
5. Buy a Tesla.
6. Line the garage ceiling with anechoic chamber wall material.
7. Push the car out of the garage and down the street... now push start button.
8. #7 not viable? Buy used airport tug and buy really strong tow hook.
9. Leave for work later.
10. #9 not viable? Work from home.
11. #10 not viable? Change jobs.
12. Buy tenants a GT350..... they will fully understand and welcome being woke up to the Flat Plane symphony.

EDIT
I was typing my post and no one had replied yet... Scott typed almost verbatim what I guessed would be said.
Well said Scott...!
Is this the R model only? My regular Gt350 absolutely closes the baffles upon depressing the clutch, and you can hear them cycle. I push it once, let the cycle, let out and depress again. MUCH quieter even on a multi-day cold start.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Push the start button to engage the electronics, wait 2 seconds for them to come on. If you listen, you'll hear the baffles closing during this time. Then start the car as normal.

TENTEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 350 GT R
We have a walk in closet that is over our garage. My wife was getting dressed when I cold started mine and it scared the crap out of her. Lol.. So I can imagine if one is sleeping how that would be.
My 8 YO son has only stood in the garage back behind the car twice waiting on me to pull out so he can get in. Now he bolts to the garage door first and stands outside for this exact reason. I laugh about it all the time.
Sponsored