Sponsored

2020 GT350R - How to stop the loud BLAPPITY BLAH! at startup?

JerkyChew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2017 Raptor, 2020 GT350R
Finally picked up my 2020 R and I really like it so far. One issue that has popped up has to do with starting and the exhaust baffles. Probably once every five starts or so, the baffles are initially wide open and the thing is loud as all hell - They close after a second of idling. This sounds cool and all but the tenants living above my garage probably don't appreciate it at 6 in the morning. Is this normal or is it something I can get fixed/repair myself? I'm not sure what I can do if this is normal behavior. I should mention that it only has about 120 miles on it at the moment.
Sponsored

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
Push in the clutch but before you hit the start button wait for the exhaust baffles to finish cycling before pushing the start button. First they open then they close and go quiet. You'll hear it just takes a couple seconds.

V8 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
Finally picked up my 2020 R and I really like it so far. One issue that has popped up has to do with starting and the exhaust baffles. Probably once every five starts or so, the baffles are initially wide open and the thing is loud as all hell - They close after a second of idling. This sounds cool and all but the tenants living above my garage probably don't appreciate it at 6 in the morning. Is this normal or is it something I can get fixed/repair myself? I'm not sure what I can do if this is normal behavior. I should mention that it only has about 120 miles on it at the moment.
Post pictures of your new beauty!

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
You are going to get a lot of people chiming in to say: "Push in on the clutch and keep it held down until you hear the exhaust valves stop cycling."
But that will NOT stop the 1 to 2 seconds of initial "Blappity Blah".
So I will insert a host of smart ass suggestions which I'm sure that more will follow after this post.
1. Move.
2. Get hearing impaired tenants.
3. Put potatoes in the pipes.
4. Buy an EcoBoost.
5. Buy a Tesla.
6. Line the garage ceiling with anechoic chamber wall material.
7. Push the car out of the garage and down the street... now push start button.
8. #7 not viable? Buy used airport tug and buy really strong tow hook.
9. Leave for work later.
10. #9 not viable? Work from home.
11. #10 not viable? Change jobs.
12. Buy tenants a GT350..... they will fully understand and welcome being woke up to the Flat Plane symphony.

EDIT
I was typing my post and no one had replied yet... Scott typed almost verbatim what I guessed would be said.
Well said Scott...!

Last edited:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Someone living above your garage is impossible unless you can push your car out a little.
As dpAtlanta already stated, youā€™ll have a couple seconds of blap, blap, blap no matter what.
PSā€¦Itā€™ll only get worse the colder it getsā€¦.sorry.

Sponsored

catdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 iconic silver pp1
Someone living above your garage is impossible unless you can push your car out a little.
As dpAtlanta already stated, youā€™ll have a couple seconds of blap, blap, blap no matter what.
PSā€¦Itā€™ll only get worse the colder it getsā€¦.sorry.
Doesn't the 350 have the quite start feature. I have mine set from 9pm till 9am. No worry about the noise now

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
You are going to get a lot of people chiming in to say: "Push in on the clutch and keep it held down until you hear the exhaust valves stop cycling."
But that will NOT stop the 1 to 2 seconds of initial "Blappity Blah".
So I will insert a host of smart ass suggestions which I'm sure that more will follow after this post.
1. Move.
2. Get hearing impaired tenants.
3. Put potatoes in the pipes.
4. Buy an EcoBoost.
5. Buy a Tesla.
6. Line the garage ceiling with anechoic chamber wall material.
7. Push the car out of the garage and down the street... now push start button.
8. #7 not viable? Buy used airport tug and buy really strong tow hook.
9. Leave for work later.
10. #9 not viable? Work from home.
11. #10 not viable? Change jobs.
12. Buy tenants a GT350..... they will fully understand and welcome being woke up to the Flat Plane symphony.
agreed...clutch in does nothing in my car either. So I tried;
#3 with red shop rags
#7 is great until doofus neighbor leaves at same time and slows the downhill roll to a stop
#9 only works when the boss agrees
#10 have never stopped working at home
#11 worked until new boss wanted to leave early
...but only #1 worked for me šŸ˜‚

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
GT350s have no manners and make no excuses.
Best post I've read in a while lol.

To the OP, sorry, no real way to quiet it down. If they ever piss you off though, back the car in so the exhaust echos off the walls. I hate one of my neighbors and smile at every start up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Best post I've read in a while lol.

To the OP, sorry, no real way to quiet it down. If they ever poss you off though, back the car in so the exhaust echos off the walls. I hate one of my neighbors and smile at every start up.
So you piss off everyone but only take pleasure in pissing off just one? šŸ˜‰

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
So you piss off everyone but only take pleasure in pissing off just one? šŸ˜‰
Only 5 houses on my dead end street and fortunately the one I enjoy faces my garage. So it's a win win. I'm not obnoxious or rev on purpose but I certainly don't feel bad about my legal exhaust lol.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Funny thread. I had the opposite issue, where I wanted it to BLAPPITY BLAH! at all times. I installed the AWE Switchpath remote to be in full control. If the noise becomes too big of a nuisance for you, and you absolutely must start quiet, then with the Switchpath you can clutch in or push the button and switch the valves to closed before starting the car.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Pressing the clutch and waiting 100% works for me. Does it really not work for you guys? It's stilla cold start and has a little of a crack but that extra loud moment where the valves are open then closed, doesnt happen.
Sponsored