2020 GT350R For Sale At MSRP

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
The R is a special car no doubt. That being said the idea that it is some how on a different level entirely then a 350 is ridiculous. Itā€™s on a little sharper edge for the track. The analogy of an f1 car on mediums being the 350 and the r being on soft is interesting to me. If your an F1 fan like myself you know that in many cases on certain tracks the medium setup is faster then the softs. Some with Rā€™s like to point it out like a woman that flasheā€™s their louis vuitton bag around and Iā€™m sure this will upset a few.

Jimgolf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Porsche 911E Targa
I think the regular GT350 is an amazing driving car and I might even enjoy driving it more than a R with less worry. One of the main reasons I chose the R is that I personally like the look of the red accents inside the car plus the spoiler, wing, red calipers, red pin stripes and wheels are all pluses. If you donā€™t care for the wheels then you can sell them for $6-$10k and have a R for close to the same price as a regular GT350. Assuming you didnā€™t pay a premium, which I didnā€™t. My goal was if I could find a R in the color I wanted for less than $9k more than a regular GT350 of the same year then it made more sense to get the R.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
The R is a special car no doubt. That being said the idea that it is some how on a different level entirely then a 350 is ridiculous. Itā€™s on a little sharper edge for the track. The analogy of an f1 car on mediums being the 350 and the r being on soft is interesting to me. If your an F1 fan like myself you know that in many cases on certain tracks the medium setup is faster then the softs. Some with Rā€™s like to point it out like a woman that flasheā€™s their louis vuitton bag around and Iā€™m sure this will upset a few.
was so excited for 2021ā€™s spending cap and rules changes....this year was going to be another hammy winning everything (eyeroll).

dutch and Vietnam tracks look amazing

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I donā€™t know about you, but for me the covid mess screwed up motogp in Austin in April, and has completely screwed my F1 viewing addiction. Lol I hope we get part of a season but Iā€™m doubtful. We go to Cota a lot and itā€™s amazing if youā€™re a race fan. Last year my buddy and I were sitting in the Austin airport after the race. Ended up talking to Horner and Verstappen for quite a while while we were waiting for our flights. Horner is a really grounded guy and Verstappen was as well. I mentioned I really missed the v8ā€™s, and how visceral they were. He actually agreed. One thing that struck me is he referenced the car culture in the US and the difference in the fans here. My buddy and I were absolutely astounded how all these fans were walking around with Redbull, Ferarri, even Verstappen hats, and had absolutely no clue they were standing right there bsā€™ing with us.

When they first showed the Vietnam track My first reaction was not positive. They did a great job with it and I give them lots of kudos especially with the short timeline. The Dutch track will be a blast to watch. Real curious to see how they handle the banking. Itā€™s such a uniquely American aspect of racing.
was so excited for 2021ā€™s spending cap and rules changes....this year was going to be another hammy winning everything (eyeroll).

dutch and Vietnam tracks look amazing

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Sorry for keeping us off topic, but interesting conversation :)

One thing that struck me is he referenced the car culture in the US and the difference in the fans here.
What did they note as the difference?

When they first showed the Vietnam track My first reaction was not positive. They did a great job with it and I give them lots of kudos especially with the short timeline.
Been hard to find a reliable video view of the VN track, but if what's online is accurate it doesn't seem to allow any room for error. Could be wrong, but seems like the concrete barriers pretty much line the entire circuit.

Real curious to see how they handle the banking. Itā€™s such a uniquely American aspect of racing.
For F1 fans, this is a great club for driving Zandvoort, Spa, and Hockenheim.

https://pistenclub.de/en/tracks

Talked to them a bit, but not a member yet and haven't done a track day with them yet, so not advertising. Others available as well, though most are actual companies vice clubs and only do one or two of the tracks (i.e., Spa and NĆ¼rburgring). No matter which one someone uses, there are plenty of companies to rent track vehicles from for a fairly reasonable rate too. More than willing to help however I can when we transition to the "new normal"...

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I donā€™t know about you, but for me the covid mess screwed up motogp in Austin in April, and has completely screwed my F1 viewing addiction. Lol I hope we get part of a season but Iā€™m doubtful. We go to Cota a lot and itā€™s amazing if youā€™re a race fan. Last year my buddy and I were sitting in the Austin airport after the race. Ended up talking to Horner and Verstappen for quite a while while we were waiting for our flights. Horner is a really grounded guy and Verstappen was as well. I mentioned I really missed the v8ā€™s, and how visceral they were. He actually agreed. One thing that struck me is he referenced the car culture in the US and the difference in the fans here. My buddy and I were absolutely astounded how all these fans were walking around with Redbull, Ferarri, even Verstappen hats, and had absolutely no clue they were standing right there bsā€™ing with us.

When they first showed the Vietnam track My first reaction was not positive. They did a great job with it and I give them lots of kudos especially with the short timeline. The Dutch track will be a blast to watch. Real curious to see how they handle the banking. Itā€™s such a uniquely American aspect of racing.
The second season of f1 drive to survive was awesome.....even though i hate merc lol.

The new young season of drivers is awesome.....verstappen, leclerc, albon, and even russel (which is literally waiting for a seat in petronas)

my fav track is spa. I saw motogp at catalunya. Im still not 100% if im doing f1 this year....was waiting til all the changes took effect because it really is boring now. Gene haas said it best. ā€˜ā€™The real racings in the midfield, but you cant have racing where the top 3 teams are lapping the restā€. I go to austin every year for f1......saw it when it was in indianapolisā€

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
It was what the US market had at its availability compared to the rest of the world. We can buy great performance cars across brands that are relatively inexpensive for what they will do compared to whatā€™s available in Europe for example. I got the impression with all the technology they deal with at an insane level that he really liked the simplicity and not over engineered character of the American cars. I didnā€™t take it as he was knocking anything from Europe. The 350 platform is a great example of the cost/performance comparison to European counterparts.
Sorry for keeping us off topic, but interesting conversation :)

What did they note as the difference?

Been hard to find a reliable video view of the VN track, but if what's online is accurate it doesn't seem to allow any room for error. Could be wrong, but seems like the concrete barriers pretty much line the entire circuit.

Itā€™ll be interesting to see what the final result will look like when itā€™s all said and done. I personally prefer the permanent circuits as opposed to the city stuff.

For F1 fans, this is a great club for driving Zandvoort, Spa, and Hockenheim.

https://pistenclub.de/en/tracks

Talked to them a bit, but not a member yet and haven't done a track day with them yet, so not advertising. Others available as well, though most are actual companies vice clubs and only do one or two of the tracks (i.e., Spa and NĆ¼rburgring). No matter which one someone uses, there are plenty of companies to rent track vehicles from for a fairly reasonable rate too. More than willing to help however I can when we transition to the "new normal"...

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I really enjoyed that as well. Iā€™m not a fan of Merc at all either. I give them credit for what theyā€™ve accomplished though. My tin foil hat opinion is Ecclestone gave them the inside track on the hybrid switch long before it went in to play. I find it real curious they put there name on the car front and center as the switch was made. I agree with you on the mid pack racing. Im canā€™t disagree with it can be boring at times. We went to Montreal a few years back, that was a lot of fun. Iā€™ve been going to Cota since its inaugural race, and missing motogp and Wec this year Iā€™ll for sure be going in Nov if its there. Cota really is special because thereā€™s so many great spots to watch the races.
The second season of f1 drive to survive was awesome.....even though i hate merc lol.

The new young season of drivers is awesome.....verstappen, leclerc, albon, and even russel (which is literally waiting for a seat in petronas)

my fav track is spa. I saw motogp at catalunya. Im still not 100% if im doing f1 this year....was waiting til all the changes took effect because it really is boring now. Gene haas said it best. ā€˜ā€™The real racings in the midfield, but you cant have racing where the top 3 teams are lapping the restā€. I go to austin every year for f1......saw it when it was in indianapolisā€

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It was what the US market had at its availability compared to the rest of the world. We can buy great performance cars across brands that are relatively inexpensive for what they will do compared to whatā€™s available in Europe for example. I got the impression with all the technology they deal with at an insane level that he really liked the simplicity and not over engineered character of the American cars. I didnā€™t take it as he was knocking anything from Europe. The 350 platform is a great example of the cost/performance comparison to European counterparts.
I agree with them. The American car culture and Mustang culture in particular is phenomenal across Europe.
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...rd-for-largest-mustang-meeting-with-1-32.html

I think there are three reasons:
1. Simplicity, as you noted
2. Accessibility--a tax scheme that allows us (Americans) to own high HP performance cars
3. The historical aura of American "muscle cars"

Kind of ironic, because I've driven European spec Ford, GM and Chryslers and in all cases they are better built than ours back home, because they have to meet EU highway standards, the Autobahn included. Obviously, a Shelby doesn't fall into that category.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I really enjoyed that as well. Iā€™m not a fan of Merc at all either. I give them credit for what theyā€™ve accomplished though. My tin foil hat opinion is Ecclestone gave them the inside track on the hybrid switch long before it went in to play. I find it real curious they put there name on the car front and center as the switch was made. I agree with you on the mid pack racing. Im canā€™t disagree with it can be boring at times. We went to Montreal a few years back, that was a lot of fun. Iā€™ve been going to Cota since its inaugural race, and missing motogp and Wec this year Iā€™ll for sure be going in Nov if its there. Cota really is special because thereā€™s so many great spots to watch the races.
case in point germany race.....hammy crossed the pit lines and wasnt penalized.....they gave his penalty to vettel instead :cwl::cwl::cwl:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Oh xxck! Donā€™t get me started on the FIA and how they apply the rules or lack there of. Vettel handled that way better then I would have. Lol
case in point germany race.....hammy crossed the pit lines and wasnt penalized.....they gave his penalty to vettel instead :cwl::cwl::cwl:

OP
OP
PP0001

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I would like start out by saying that I really enjoy and appreciate the outstanding performance characteristics that both the GT350 model and R model bring to both the street or track as I am very fortunate to own both a GT350 Track Pack car and an R model therefore respect them both equally but obviously for different reasons.

Based on my experience both the GT350 and the R models are not all that much different on the street but when taking these two models to the track/road course the R model has more than just a little sharper edge over a stock GT350 and it certainly should be.

Between the stiffer and shorter springs in the R along with running a 30 sidewall aspect ratio which results in a lower ride height and slightly higher drive ratio as well as the significant weight reductions coming from rear seat delete, CF rims (much less rotating mass weight), CF wing, stickier tires and in the case of the Base R models having some ~15 delete items these R models only weigh just over 3600# which obviously results in much better performance times at the track compared to a GT350.

Just curious if you have ever had an opportunity to drive an R model and a GT350 back to back on a road course and then turn the wheel over to a professional driver/instructor that then takes these great cars to another level while you are in the jump seat but if you had I suggest that you might have a totally different opinion with respect to the differences between these two automobiles at the track?

If you don't want to take my word for it maybe take the word of Billy Johnson who probably has had more seat time testing the GT350 and R models than any other person on the planet with his comments and opinions speaking for themselves.

Again let me be clear that I love both of my GT350 and R model a great deal and on the street they provide a somewhat comparable driving experience but on a road course it is obvious that the R model is much more track focused and yes they are on an entirely different level and not even close.

:sunglasses:
Sponsored