2020 GT350 "track use" warranty exclusion

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Another reason to unplug from big brother.
Sponsored

Narwaniec594

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
17 Gt350
In my opinion this is just a new note that they can use maybe in some very rare and extreme cases.
I was this year at gt500 track tour event. And somebody asked that question to the main guy from ford. His answer was Yes! Covered! We want you to use these cars on the track either if its 1/4mile or HPDE events. But not competition
If if you keep the car somewhat stock i dont think they would make any problems.
But if you would tow gt350 build for track use only,cage inside, no interior. No dash, 🤣and only stock part was the engine with piston stuck through the side of the block. Than that "track use" added note would definetly applied to you haha

Plus dont run around at the dealer yelling that you blew up your motor at 150mph at the track in your 6th session that day and your pissed cuz you wanted to beat your best lap time and you couldnt etc etc.....
"I was driving on the highway and felt vibration 🤣" haha

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
In my opinion this is just a new note that they can use maybe in some very rare and extreme cases.
I was this year at gt500 track tour event. And somebody asked that question to the main guy from ford. His answer was Yes! Covered! We want you to use these cars on the track either if its 1/4mile or HPDE events. But not competition
If if you keep the car somewhat stock i dont think they would make any problems.
But if you would tow gt350 build for track use only,cage inside, no interior. No dash, 🤣and only stock part was the engine with piston stuck through the side of the block. Than that "track use" added note would definetly applied to you haha

Plus dont run around at the dealer yelling that you blew up your motor at 150mph at the track in your 6th session that day and your pissed cuz you wanted to beat your best lap time and you couldnt etc etc.....
Oblivious.......

Take a minute to look at the warranty policy in the past model years. Just because you don't track your car doesn't mean that the warranty that has always been in place shouldn't continue.

If this is the new policy, then now we know. Its not right as you suggest to pick and choose which warranty claims are honored under very subjective circumstances.

Please consider your position and how it effects a car that was engineered, built, and sold as a track car with a precedent of a warranty as such.

Narwaniec594

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
17 Gt350
Oblivious.......

Take a minute to look at the warranty policy in the past model years. Just because you don't track your car doesn't mean that the warranty that has always been in place shouldn't continue.

If this is the new policy, then now we know. Its not right as you suggest to pick and choose which warranty claims are honored under very subjective circumstances.

Please consider your position and how it effects a car that was engineered, built, and sold as a track car with a precedent of a warranty as such.
I do track my car. 90 procent of my miles are getting to a track, tracking and coming back. Its a 2017 and had blown motor at the track it had bearings and axles reolaced after the track use and no one questioned anything. Even when my car came in on non stock track tires and different brakes. And i highly doubt it that ford would not honor worronty for 2020 models if something would blow up at the track. There is no way that ford would advertise track capable car and not honor warranty. So wait for conformation from ford perfomrance and dont worry. Your warranty is still good at track whem doing hpde events

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I do track my car. 90 procent of my miles are getting to a track, tracking and coming back. Its a 2017 and had blown motor at the track it had bearings and axles reolaced after the track use and no one questioned anything. Even when my car came in on non stock track tires and different brakes. And i highly doubt it that ford would not honor worronty for 2020 models if something would blow up at the track. There is no way that ford would advertise track capable car and not honor warranty. So wait for conformation from ford perfomrance and dont worry. Your warranty is still good at track whem doing hpde events
I hate to be argumentative, but that is not what the warranty says.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I hate to be argumentative, but that is not what the warranty says.
Im just curious, have you heard of a single instance where a 2020 350 or any gt500 has been denied a warranty claim due to a HPDE day?

Also, what kind of response are you hoping to get from FP?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Im just curious, have you heard of a single instance where a 2020 350 or any gt500 has been denied a warranty claim due to a HPDE day?

My thought is with the GT350 production ending and ford strapped for cash and moving away for non SUVs this COULD be a card they start to pull if they don't like the numbers.

I take most of the race stuff off my car when I go to the dealer but It was not a concern I had now I do. I am still not 100% confident my dealer swapped the engine correctly.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

I have not heard of a single instance of a catastrophic failure of a 2020 on any track.

In the 350, the only thing that would really hurt is if you blew the engine.

In the 500, I think the transmission is more than the engine. So that is a double whammy and a serious cencern.

All you can rely on is the written word. The written word says that any track use is not covered under the warranty.

FP is taking another avenue and hope to hear back after Thenksgiving.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
All you can rely on is the written word. The written word says that any track use is not covered under the warranty.
^^^^^^
This, always this!
Mr Ford himself could personally tell you that you are covered, wouldn’t mean squat.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
At the end of the day warranties are just like insurance. The companies that furnish them are not in the business of losing money. These stipulations and exclusions exist to give the warrantors an avenue to deny claims if they choose to do so.
I disagree. Well partially disagree. i agree a warranty is like insurance for the buyer and Ford wants to make money. But the other thing that warranty does is gives the buyer a good feeling that they are buying a high quality product. And so manufacturers that have a poor reputation for quality (or if they are new to the market) tend to give better warranties. They need to do this to get sales.

Basically the warranty is part of the package you are buying with the car. If Ford thinks their cars are good enough to sell with less warranty then they can reduce the warranty. Or increase the price of the car. Or both.

But this is potentially a pretty significant change. If I'm going to the track this gives me an incentive to buy something used already out of warranty or go to a different brand. Even gentle playtime at the track could now be used by Ford to save money and deny a warranty.

My 2018 Fiesta ST has an exclusion for track use in the warranty. Ok no problem I just won't ever take it to the track. But a car like the GT350 IMO why would I spend so much money and then not ever go to the track? IMO for the GT350 track use is its raison d'etre. Yes it's awesome on the street too, but it really comes alive on track and it's too expensive to buy just to cruise to the DQ.

If Ford denies your warranty - try telling them that the track tour main guy said track use is covered. See what that gets you. I hope you're right that Ford won't typically use this to get out of warranty coverage, but I wouldn't bet $25k on it.

I think personally that covering all track use with a warranty is pretty difficult to do. Some people get an awful lot of track miles on a car. Track use is also really hard on any vehicle. The GT350 supplement recommends 150 thousand mile service before and after track use. Pretty extreme, but I would think the 150 thousand mile service should be performed at least once per year if you are regularly attending track events. Once every other year IMO is pushing it to the absolute limit of how long you could wait to perform that service on a vehicle that is tracked regularly. And who thinks that their warranty should cover their car for 150 thousand miles?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I have not heard of a single instance of a catastrophic failure of a 2020 on any track.

In the 350, the only thing that would really hurt is if you blew the engine.

In the 500, I think the transmission is more than the engine. So that is a double whammy and a serious cencern.

FP is taking another avenue and hope to hear back after Thenksgiving.
Right.... So what exactly are you hoping to hear from FP? Are you hoping for them to tell you in fact that zero track use is covered? Looking for them to tell you the lawyers made them do it but they don’t plan to enforce it? Or perhaps “The dude who wrote the supplement made a grave error, and we thank you for bringing it to our attention.”

Although I acknowledge that Ford is a business, intent on making money, I’m not sure it’s worth causing a fuss over something that hasn’t happened yet that we know of (any warranty denial, big or small.) As others have suggested, it most likely got added to give Ford an out if someone truly is abusing the warranty (but I don’t think you’ll ever get a Ford employee to admit that on the record.)

Fun fact, the Ford ESP still does not include the language saying track use voids the warranty.

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 Fiesta ST has an exclusion for track use in the warranty. Ok no problem I just won't ever take it to the track.
Okay, this actually makes me pretty mad. So you’re telling me that an $18k Fiesta that isn’t even allowed to be driven on track warrants free attendance to Ford’s driving school, but the $60k Mach 1 I’m buying that’s being marketed as the most track capable 5.0 Mustang ever made doesn’t warrant a free trip to Ford driving school??

I JUST WANT A FREE WEEKEND OF RIPPING AROUND A TRACK IN SOMEONE ELSE’S CAR