2020 GT350 "track use" warranty exclusion

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hi folks,

I was reading the GT500 warranty in the owners supplement and saw they included a track exclusion. Apparently, this is exclusion also includes the 2020 GT350. Below is on page 55 of the 2020 GT350:

What is Not Covered Under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty? Damage caused by:
• Abuse, competition, racing, track use or other events.

The above exclusion is not found in the 2015-2019 supplemental owners manual.

There is an ongoing discussion as it pertains to the GT500 in the thread listed here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/no-gt500-warranty-for-track-use.150446/

I have an email in to Ford Performance and I am currently awaiting an interpretation. Since this also affects 2020 GT350 users, I will update this thread when I get a reply.
Sponsored

Attachments

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Thanks for this! I completely missed that in my new 2020 manual compared to the 2019

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Simplified interpretation:
If you break something while the vehicle is being used at a timed track event (ie: auto cross, drifting, competitive road racing or drag racing) the part or associated affected parts will not be covered under the Ford Warranty as outlined in the Owner’s manual.

Period.

There is no gray or middle area - it’s black and white.

Here’s some quick, simple info about the Ford Warranty (for those who don’t know or don’t read their Owner’s Manuals):

1) The standard Mustang Owners Manuals specifically state that any failures attributed to abuse, racing, timed events, lack of maintenance or lack of following the Owners Manual guidelines is not warrantable, period.

2) The Shelby Owners Manual supplements, for the GT350, GT350R and GT500 all state the same exact verbiage.

3) Ford’s own Warranty & Policy Manual has the same verbiage as well and is distributed to its Dealer Network.

——

Pay very close attention to not only how the main body is worded, but also the addendum for “Racing”. Ford’s Legal Team has worded their position in such a way that if proven, a warranty claim attributed to “racing” or even the general “tampering” clause can be denied:
CED8837A-7EE4-4148-8795-BB3609D524D3.jpeg
5D4EEAD5-A515-4421-884E-B7B50E59B083.jpeg

With all the technology wrapped up in the modules of the S550, Ford will be able to tell from the recorded module event that the owner wasn’t “grocery getting” when the motor ventilated itself. “Tune it” via an aftermarket programmed tune that goes wrong, again if it blows Ford can pull the key cycles from the module to determine if the vehicle ever had an aftermarket tune (discussed on here many times).

and here’s more of the “What is not covered”, from the Owner’s Manual:
WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY?

Damage Caused By:
• accidents, collision or objects striking the vehicle (including driving through a car wash)
• theft, vandalism, or riot
• fire or explosion
• using contaminated or improper fuel/fluids
• customer-applied chemicals or accidental spills
• driving through water deep enough to cause water to be ingested into the engine
• misuse of the vehicle, such a driving over curbs, overloading, racing or using the vehicle as a permanent stationary power source

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company

• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not limited to exhaust and intake systems)

• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part or software (other than a certified emissions part or software) or any part or software (Ford or non-Ford) designed for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part to fail.

Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or software and performance “chips”.

Your vehicle may allow, enable or facilitate the use of certain non-Ford Motor Company software. Ford is not responsible for the functionality of such software. Ford may disallow, discontinue or modify your ability to use such software at any time without prior notification or incurring any warranty or other obligation. Non-Ford Motor Company software may be governed by End User License Agreement or warranty provided by the software provider. For Ford Motor Company software see End User License Agreement found in the Owner Manual.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ck-Warranty-version-3_frdwa_EN-US_09_2016.pdf

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Simplified interpretation:
If you break something while the vehicle is being used at a timed track event (ie: auto cross, drifting, competitive road racing or drag racing) the part or associated affected parts will not be covered under the Ford Warranty as outlined in the Owner’s manual.

Period.

There is no gray or middle area - it’s black and white.

Here’s some quick, simple info about the Ford Warranty (for those who don’t know or don’t read their Owner’s Manuals):

1) The standard Mustang Owners Manuals specifically state that any failures attributed to abuse, racing, timed events, lack of maintenance or lack of following the Owners Manual guidelines is not warrantable, period.

2) The Shelby Owners Manual supplements, for the GT350, GT350R and GT500 all state the same exact verbiage.

3) Ford’s own Warranty & Policy Manual has the same verbiage as well and is distributed to its Dealer Network.

——

Pay very close attention to not only how the main body is worded, but also the addendum for “Racing”. Ford’s Legal Team has worded their position in such a way that if proven, a warranty claim attributed to “racing” or even the general “tampering” clause can be denied:
CED8837A-7EE4-4148-8795-BB3609D524D3.jpeg
5D4EEAD5-A515-4421-884E-B7B50E59B083.jpeg

With all the technology wrapped up in the modules of the S550, Ford will be able to tell from the recorded module event that the owner wasn’t “grocery getting” when the motor ventilated itself. “Tune it” via an aftermarket programmed tune that goes wrong, again if it blows Ford can pull the key cycles from the module to determine if the vehicle ever had an aftermarket tune (discussed on here many times).

and here’s more of the “What is not covered”, from the Owner’s Manual:
They modified the warranty for 2020. There is now an exclusion that specifically identifies "track use" All the other model years of the GT350 did not contain that exclusion.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
They modified the warranty for 2020. There is now an exclusion that specifically identifies "track use" All the other model years of the GT350 did not contain that exclusion.
Understood - but any timed event falls under “track use”. I don’t disagree that Ford has now “printed” “track use” in their literature and I’m not disagreeing with your sentiments. It’s no different than the prior “racing” or timed event” statements in their literature. It all falls under the same category - if the car was being used in a manner where if something broke during THAT event, it would not be covered under the 3/36 or 5/60.

Ford’s legal team only added the words “track use” to clearly identify to the user that “track use” is what it is - the car was taken off public roads onto a “track” (ie:road racing, drag racing, whatever) and IF something where to fail during that event, it’s not covered under the Ford Warranry as outlined.

YES - it is as stupid as it sounds because we all know Mustangs are used in a variety of track related events. But these are production vehicles not purpose built or dedicated “track” or “race” cars. THAT is why Ford has modified the warranty wording to cover nearly all bases in an effort to cut down on Warranty claims.

Go and read any of the prior Mustang supplements, including GT350 and GT500’s - hell, even the 2000 Cobra R and 1995 Cobra R had similar clauses.

The addition of “track use” is no different than the word “racing” found next to it. What does one do when they are on a track?

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I’m going to need clarification on this. Part of the selling point for the 350 had always been that it has a warranty for track use. If they changed their tune for the last year just because they could - it’s going to be the very last slimy thing that Ford will hit me with. I’ve stuck with it through some interesting times, quality issues and such. I hope this isn’t the case because I’ll flip this car right now and go Porsche, where they give a damn.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Understood - but any timed event falls under “track use”. I don’t disagree that Ford has now “printed” “track use” in their literature and I’m not disagreeing with your sentiments. It’s no different than the prior “racing” or timed event” statements in their literature. It all falls under the same category - if the car was being used in a manner where if something broke during THAT event, it would not be covered under the 3/36 or 5/60.

Ford’s legal team only added the words “track use” to clearly identify to the user that “track use” is what it is - the car was taken off public roads onto a “track” (ie:road racing, drag racing, whatever) and IF something where to fail during that event, it’s not covered under the Ford Warranry as outlined.

YES - it is as stupid as it sounds because we all know Mustangs are used in a variety of track related events. But these are production vehicles not purpose built or dedicated “track” or “race” cars. THAT is why Ford has modified the warranty wording to cover nearly all bases in an effort to cut down on Warranty claims.

Go and read any of the prior Mustang supplements, including GT350 and GT500’s - hell, even the 2000 Cobra R and 1995 Cobra R had similar clauses.

The addition of “track use” is no different than the word “racing” found next to it. What does one do when they are on a track?
"Timed event" and "competition" were the standard pre 2020. They went out of their way to specify any "track use".

I hope you are right, but the 2020 wording is a departure from all previous model years.

VoodooStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
-
Vehicle(s)
-
The FP350s engine is built for the track!
52220293-384C-4216-AA79-769FE2B67883.jpeg
F6460135-1000-413B-8629-50DA989A99CE.jpeg

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

VoodooStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
-
Vehicle(s)
-
I have to ask, how much did that set you back. Me want....
FP350s engine $21k, install, tune & other modifications about $7k. The FP350s engine runs very strong on the track. No engine oil overheating with the FP350s Setrab engine oil cooler either

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
So, I hope to hear something from Ford Performance by Wednesday. Another thought..... Would track insurance cover you if you blew an engine or transmission on the track? I think it would, but I need to check. The tremec DCT is a 30K proposition I believe. The engine, well, look at the previous post.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
So, I hope to hear something from Ford Performance by Wednesday. Another thought..... Would track insurance cover you if you blew an engine or transmission on the track? I think it would, but I need to check. The tremec DCT is a 30K proposition I believe. The engine, well, look at the previous post.
No track insurance wont cover that.

"Timed event" and "competition" were the standard pre 2020. They went out of their way to specify any "track use".

I hope you are right, but the 2020 wording is a departure from all previous model years.
I assume they can not retroactively remove coverage from past models?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
No track insurance wont cover that.

I assume they can not retroactively remove coverage from past models?
No. This is how 2019 becomes the best year of the GT350 lol. Just kidding :)

Going out of their way to specify track use is pretty low. The part with competition use, timed events etc. is pretty standard across all manufacturers.
Sponsored