Sponsored

2020 GT Supercharge or not?

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
Supercharge when you are not worried about the warranty.
Sponsored

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Don't do it then. Very sorry about your cancer. It you use retirement money that you might need in a few years you will never get it back selling your car.
Having supercharged many cars, you get used to the power and you open up a lot of other issues. In my experience, aftermarket supercharged cars almost always have some small tune issue. They virtually never drive like stock completely. They there is the traction issue where once tires break loose, the coefficient of sliding friction is lower than that of rolling friction and so unless you spend some cash on tires/suspension, you have issues there.
Recently I bought a 2016 unmolested GT premium with a 6 speed and a 3.31 axle all stock. And, yes, the car is slow by 2018 standards, supercharged or bolt on stadards, but it is just fun to drive as it's quiet, smooth and powerful to do 0-60 under 5 seconds.
If your car is a stick with the awful gearing of the '18 up, just spend 6-800 on a set of gears. That is my suggestion.
BTW I was a financial planner and CFP for over 25 years. We never know how long we will live, but you may very well find other needs for that money. I have had clients that would spend retirement money on disposable wants, and I am not saying you are being irresponsible with your money BTW, but they found out that the money was needed for more important purposes within a few years.
Regardless of your decision, best of luck to you!
Don't do it then. Very sorry about your cancer. It you use retirement money that you might need in a few years you will never get it back selling your car.
Having supercharged many cars, you get used to the power and you open up a lot of other issues. In my experience, aftermarket supercharged cars almost always have some small tune issue. They virtually never drive like stock completely. They there is the traction issue where once tires break loose, the coefficient of sliding friction is lower than that of rolling friction and so unless you spend some cash on tires/suspension, you have issues there.
Recently I bought a 2016 unmolested GT premium with a 6 speed and a 3.31 axle all stock. And, yes, the car is slow by 2018 standards, supercharged or bolt on stadards, but it is just fun to drive as it's quiet, smooth and powerful to do 0-60 under 5 seconds.
If your car is a stick with the awful gearing of the '18 up, just spend 6-800 on a set of gears. That is my suggestion.
BTW I was a financial planner and CFP for over 25 years. We never know how long we will live, but you may very well find other needs for that money. I have had clients that would spend retirement money on disposable wants, and I am not saying you are being irresponsible with your money BTW, but they found out that the money was needed for more important purposes within a few years.
Regardless of your decision, best of luck to you!
Thank you I took money out of retirement to get the car & I've got that money back already so that's probably not the problem the problem is gonna be wanting more. But again thanks for taking the time to reply.

Dabitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
my 2 cents... if you can afford replacing the engine... Look at Stangmode on YT.

Last edited:

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
my 2 cents... if you can afford replacing the engine... Long at Stangmode on YT.

Seems all the YouTubers blow up more and more stuff than I can imagine...

Justa6
StangMode
Cleetus

In 15+ years and thousands of tuned cars, and thousands and thousands of pounds of boost. And having at least (2) forced induction cars at a time personally, I can count on 1 hand the number of engines I have lost.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Seems all the YouTubers blow up more and more stuff than I can imagine...

Justa6
StangMode
Cleetus

In 15+ years and thousands of tuned cars, and thousands and thousands of pounds of boost. And having at least (2) forced induction cars at a time personally, I can count on 1 hand the number of engines I have lost.
Right?!?

To me it comes down to a nice clean install, good tune-in, regular maintenance, and knowing the car's limitations (don't thrash it). Good credo for most things added for performance, not just FI.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You can only push so many pounds of boost on the stock cast pistons. The pistons will tell you when you have exceeded their limitations.

That's why I am keeping my boost at around 6 - 7 pounds and stay in the 600 RWHP range.

Epona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Well, now you guys have gotten me thinking about this ALL OVER AGAIN. I bought a 2015 GT convertible (1st year of the coyote, I think?) with only 2500 miles on it, and had various mods done. They helped, but supercharging keeps haunting me. For those of you who have taken the plunge, what 0-60s have you experienced?

Epona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rad
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Oh, it's an automatic - although I paddle almost constantly...

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Well, now you guys have gotten me thinking about this ALL OVER AGAIN. I bought a 2015 GT convertible (1st year of the coyote, I think?) with only 2500 miles on it, and had various mods done. They helped, but supercharging keeps haunting me. For those of you who have taken the plunge, what 0-60s have you experienced?
supercharging is pure bliss. N/a cars just aren't fun in comparison.

Sponsored

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
3 some seconds with DR’s and a couple of suspension parts.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
You can only push so many pounds of boost on the stock cast pistons. The pistons will tell you when you have exceeded their limitations.

That's why I am keeping my boost at around 6 - 7 pounds and stay in the 600 RWHP range.
Well the stock hypereutectic pistons can handle a whole lot more than 600whp. It’s not just about boost. The tune is much more important than the amount of boost

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^^ I'm perfectly aware of that ^^^^

OP
OP

Rhinomike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020, Ford Mustang GT
Can someone send me a link to the DR or drag tire everyone is speaking of. My 2020 came with Summer only tires and they hook up pretty good. Will the DR tires be better? Sorry but I’m still a newbie and learning.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I run these in the summer. They are a very nice street/drag tire. They balanced up very nicely and are quiet. They hook very well, too. For all-out drag racing, they are not as good as a Mickey Thompson ET street R but they are MUCH better on the street.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nitto-nt555rii/p/88637
Sponsored