2020 GT 6spd: First trip to the dragstrip with 4.09 gears

Kidd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/PP1 Rapid Red
Every 18+ stock has it. It says it clear as day in their 2018 pamphlet for the mustang GT. Whether I would do it on the street or a prepped track with the MT82 trans is a whole other topic.
That’s not true, they didn’t specify in the pamphlet but Ford apparently chose to only put it on the ecoboost cars. I have a 2020 GT/PP1 mt82, 401a car and can confirm there is not a no lift shift feature at all. It’s not in the track apps, not in the settings anywhere and doesn’t activate in any of the modes. I have tested every way possible to see if the car would modulate the RPMs during a no lift shift and it will not. Also have had people check their cars with forscan to see if it’s available anywhere in the “as built” data and it’s not, so from all of my research I can only conclude that the 2018+ GT cars do not have NLS factory.
Sponsored

Karrottop009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6SPD
I have quite a few videos on my youtube, Karrottop, where I have a pretty consistent method for getting good times. However, you need a custom tune and a better trans/clutch combo. When factory, my 60' averaged 2.0-2.1 and my 1/4 was 12.8-13.0. The car had a clutch protection feature hiding the golden ticket to a good pass. With our gearing, you MUST launch at 5,000 plus and slip the clutch for most of the 60'. It will smell like hell but it does the trick. The Lund 93 tune paired with T56 and McLeod RST dropped my 60' average to 1.8-1.9 and my 1/4 to a best of 12.18 and average of 12.4ish. No bolt ons installed and Nitto G2 285's were on the car at that time.

I'm going back to the track this Wednesday now that I have power adders and 4.09's.

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
That’s not true, they didn’t specify in the pamphlet but Ford apparently chose to only put it on the ecoboost cars. I have a 2020 GT/PP1 mt82, 401a car and can confirm there is not a no lift shift feature at all. It’s not in the track apps, not in the settings anywhere and doesn’t activate in any of the modes. I have tested every way possible to see if the car would modulate the RPMs during a no lift shift and it will not. Also have had people check their cars with forscan to see if it’s available anywhere in the “as built” data and it’s not, so from all of my research I can only conclude that the 2018+ GT cars do not have NLS factory.
I dont know if it was added, but i have 22 gtpp manual. I always drive in drag mode and my car has no lift shift

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
Sorrry 21 gtpp

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I have quite a few videos on my youtube, Karrottop, where I have a pretty consistent method for getting good times. However, you need a custom tune and a better trans/clutch combo. When factory, my 60' averaged 2.0-2.1 and my 1/4 was 12.8-13.0. The car had a clutch protection feature hiding the golden ticket to a good pass. With our gearing, you MUST launch at 5,000 plus and slip the clutch for most of the 60'. It will smell like hell but it does the trick. The Lund 93 tune paired with T56 and McLeod RST dropped my 60' average to 1.8-1.9 and my 1/4 to a best of 12.18 and average of 12.4ish. No bolt ons installed and Nitto G2 285's were on the car at that time.

I'm going back to the track this Wednesday now that I have power adders and 4.09's.

Great job, however. Revin Evan Smith ran a 12.2 with a 2018 6spd manual. Also Motroweek ran a 12.4 @115mph. Here is the motorweek video, go to 2:08 for the quarter run.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
The MT82D4 1st vs the MT82 from the '17 and down are very poorly geared, as is my M1. The 4.09 gearing is like a 355 on the '17 down. So, you do not have too much gear.

Yes, you should try shifting before redline. This is true even of some FI cars, especially those with PD blowers.

Yes, the 60' is killing you. This is always where you should practice, practice, practice. I am not sure on the base GTs, but I think your car has "no lift shifting", which means you keep the car floored all the way when shifting gears. It will help your time.

Practice on a clean road with different clutch letoff, traction control off, in "normal" mode. My best times are this way. Drag mode didn't help. But I practice the 1st gear all the time as that is where the whole game is won.

You will get better. Prepped tracks take a bit because they often grip so good you may bog or just break loose.

Never, ever go through the water with anything other than slicks.

Karrottop009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6SPD
Great job, however. Revin Evan Smith ran a 12.2 with a 2018 6spd manual. Also Motroweek ran a 12.4 @115mph. Here is the motorweek video, go to 2:08 for the quarter run.

Evan ran those 12.2's with a GT350 and 2.0 60's. For the motorweek video, bugs me they don't provide the time slip. My brother's stock 19 PP ran out of 3rd gear at 113 so best pass was 12.5 at 112 with 1.8 60'. Motorweek claiming 115mph means they had time to shift into 4th and power through the finish. I don't know if I can give sea level that much credit. Just don't see that kind of result from local gen 3's.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Evan ran those 12.2's with a GT350 and 2.0 60's. For the motorweek video, bugs me they don't provide the time slip. My brother's stock 19 PP ran out of 3rd gear at 113 so best pass was 12.5 at 112 with 1.8 60'. Motorweek claiming 115mph means they had time to shift into 4th and power through the finish. I don't know if I can give sea level that much credit. Just don't see that kind of result from local gen 3's.
Hi appreciate your input but the 12.2 was when Evan tested the 2018 Mustang GT when it first came out and he ran the 11s in the auto. It wasn't the GT350 from my understanding.

Here is Car and Driver also ran a 12.5@114mph with a PP2 car.

1633407082893.png

I hate magazine racing but I personally haven't had a chance to take my own car down the track. Looking forward to it.

Here is their test of a 2018 Mustang GT manual.

1633407179566.png

This car was a fully loaded premium. A base 300a car with pp is a little lighter. Who knows.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Interesting reading. I would love to actually witness one of these magazine testers do the numbers they state. High 12's should be fairly easy to achieve with a little work. But, very low 12's will require just the right launch.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
For someone that never been on a drag strip before.
You did ok. Nothing to be ashamed about.
Sometimes it better to leave some of the 60 foot time on the table and be able to drive home than to get after it, and break something and have a bad day.
Most will tell you when you go after those "hero" passes is when you tend to break stuff.
I go to have fun, so I rather drive home than on a hook, so I tend to leave a lot on the table, but I go to have fun.
Glad you had a blast.

Sponsored

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
The MT82D4 1st vs the MT82 from the '17 and down are very poorly geared, as is my M1. The 4.09 gearing is like a 355 on the '17 down. So, you do not have too much gear.

Yes, you should try shifting before redline. This is true even of some FI cars, especially those with PD blowers.

Yes, the 60' is killing you. This is always where you should practice, practice, practice. I am not sure on the base GTs, but I think your car has "no lift shifting", which means you keep the car floored all the way when shifting gears. It will help your time.

Practice on a clean road with different clutch letoff, traction control off, in "normal" mode. My best times are this way. Drag mode didn't help. But I practice the 1st gear all the time as that is where the whole game is won.

You will get better. Prepped tracks take a bit because they often grip so good you may bog or just break loose.

Never, ever go through the water with anything other than slicks.
You are correct about the 4.09’s feeling like 355’s on an 18+ due to lazy gearing in the 18 on up. They are definitely comparable to the 5-17 355 to 373’s. Somewhere in between based on feel. My 18 is boosted with 4.09’s and 3rd gear still feels long enough.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
overall ratio of 1st in the 17 with 373s is exactly the same as 1st with 4.21s in the 18. Frustrating that Ford did this considering they didn't eliminate the gas guzzler tax.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
overall ratio of 1st in the 17 with 373s is exactly the same as 1st with 4.21s in the 18. Frustrating that Ford did this considering they didn't eliminate the gas guzzler tax.
The 2018 and 2019 actually didn't have the gas guzzler tax. I think there was some technicality afterwards but, initially, it did work.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Just to share one more data point; I got back for one more run in August with no changes to the car. I did manage a 12.87 at 113mph with a 2.20 60ft...still not great but a little better.

The Test and tune nights are all done for the year but by the next time the car sees the strip, I plan on having the vertical links installed and possibly some drag oriented tires if it fits the budget.

One amusing fact (IMO) is that while I'm FAR from good at drag racing, I have 8 runs under my belt now and I've only "lost" once. Every time I've faced a faster car, they've screwed their launch or redlighted. Hey, you have to take your victories wherever you can find them. :D

There was one guy in a ratty 2000 Mustang Cobra on slicks...he absolutely blew me away off the line but by 300 feet, he was seeing my tail lights. It just goes to show how important tires are!

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
For someone that never been on a drag strip before.
You did ok. Nothing to be ashamed about.
Sometimes it better to leave some of the 60 foot time on the table and be able to drive home than to get after it, and break something and have a bad day.
Most will tell you when you go after those "hero" passes is when you tend to break stuff.
I go to have fun, so I rather drive home than on a hook, so I tend to leave a lot on the table, but I go to have fun.
Glad you had a blast.
Thanks and glad to hear that you have a similar approach! Being able to drive home with a smile on your face rather than riding in the passenger seat of a tow truck is a high priority.

Also, if I hated my car, I'd have no problem driving it much harder but I've already bonded with this Mustang. It's just a great car that brings much needed happiness to my life. I feel like I owe it some respect. Similarly, if I was riding a horse, I would always have its wellbeing in mind too and hold back enough to protect it.
Sponsored