Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Link to NHTSA Recall Notice:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V573-9962.PDF

Article:
https://www.motor1.com/news/445932/2020-ford-mustang-recall-brake/

2020 Ford Mustang Recalled Because Brake Pedals Might Snap

Over 38,000 Blue Oval ponies are potentially affected.

The world's best-selling sports car is in a pickle right now as Ford issues a recall of thousands of 2020 Mustang units due to defective brake pedal bracket assembly. The defect could result in the fracturing of the brake pedal bracket or in worse cases, snapping.

In a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) document, the Blue Oval submits the recall on September 23, 2020. The recall includes 38,005 units of the pony car – all of which are estimated to be affected by the said defect.

However, if you're driving a 2020 Mustang with a manual gearbox, you don't need to worry about snapping your brake brackets anytime soon; only Mustangs with automatic transmissions – regardless if they're a coupe or a convertible – are equipped with the defective brake pedal bracket assembly.

According to the NHTSA document, the root cause of the issue "is insufficient design margins for noise factors within brake pedal engineering specification and design verification procedure." Ford changed the brake pedal bracket material from nylon to polypropylene on Mustang ATs, which "resulted in reduced robustness to spike stop loading for the particular design."

Ford started using the defective brake pedal assembly on March 4, 2019, and halted doing so on August 13, 2020. The affected Mustangs aren't identified by VIN, but they are assembled for the 2020 model year. Fortunately, Ford said that it is not aware of any accidents or injuries related to this defect.

As mentioned, there are 38,005 Mustang units affected by the recall. Considering that Mustangs sold outside the U.S. are sourced and assembled in the same factory in Michigan, it's likely that your 2020 Mustang is included in the recall no matter where you are in the world right now.

As always, don't hesitate to contact your Ford dealer to confirm if your pony car is indeed part of the recall. Owners will also be notified and be given instructions on how they can get their brake bracket assembly replaced, which will, of course, be free of charge.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m built in that period but manual and RHD - hopefully that means mines OK ... :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored

Fenrir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Fuck. Mine was built 2 days before the faulty assembly was no longer being used. :(

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
So if I read the NHTSA notice correctly, it says Mustangs aren't produced in VIN order, meaning Ford's only way to determine if a vehicle was part of a recall or service action is assembly dates?

Mustangmatty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Ugg I’ll be taking mine in :frown:. Might as well have a few other issues addressed while I’m risking the dealership.

Sponsored

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
great, haven't even got it titled yet and a recall:facepalm:

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Dumb. Why compromise a part directly related to safety? It should be designed well robust enough to never ever break. Reminds me of the aluminum shift fork. They try to design to narrow margins and it bites them in the rear. Heck, there is even stress analysis software that can show failure points. I know, cheaper, lighter, blah blah but there are limits. You should be able to stomp the he** out of a brake pedal.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Dumb. Why compromise a part directly related to safety? It should be designed well robust enough to never ever break. Reminds me of the aluminum shift fork. They try to design to narrow margins and it bites them in the rear. Heck, there is even stress analysis software that can show failure points. I know, cheaper, lighter, blah blah but there are limits. You should be able to stomp the he** out of a brake pedal.
Supplier makes these parts, not Ford. Although I'm sure Ford leaned on them to bring the price down.

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
I guess I am going have my first recall then.

076390ED-8A9B-47EF-9CD5-CA81D188EA13.jpeg

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Now that there is funny ! :clap: :rockon::thumbsup:
Sponsored