Sponsored

2020 Ford Mustang 2.3 High Performance FRPP Power Pack

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I’d like to see a HPP with the handling options go up against a CivicR, STI, evo, FoST, Golf R, etc on a track.
all of which have at least a 300lb advantage give or take to the EB. My GTI S was a riot when on the pipe - had a mild stage 1 tune and loved to zing. The EB can move out too but it feels 'labored' and 'ponderous' comparatively speaking, and thrashy. Some of that is seating position and low/long chassis vs short and sit-up. But weight is always a killer and the EB mill is no great gift to mankind compared to the VW, Honda or Mazda engines.

The Camaro FE4 suspenion is decent but you really want the SS/1LE setup. Pity you can't get it in the 4 or 6-banger 1LE trims.
Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
all of which have at least a 300lb advantage give or take to the EB. My GTI S was a riot when on the pipe - had a mild stage 1 tune and loved to zing. The EB can move out too but it feels 'labored' and 'ponderous' comparatively speaking, and thrashy. Some of that is seating position and low/long chassis vs short and sit-up. But weight is always a killer and the EB mill is no great gift to mankind compared to the VW, Honda or Mazda engines.

The Camaro FE4 suspenion is decent but you really want the SS/1LE setup. Pity you can't get it in the 4 or 6-banger 1LE trims.
The FoRS, STI and evo X are are around 3450lbs or so, a non-premium EB HPP is, and I'm just guessing here, 3600lbs? So it might be only 150 lbs or so. To maintain the power-weight ratio at 150lbs less the EB HPP would give up about 14hp, so would still have 320hp which is between the STI/EVO and FoRS. None of these are lightweights, except the Type R (if you consider 3150lbs light). But I get what you're saying about seating position, etc.

I don't remember people complaining about the FoRS's engine, and it's (almost) the same one. Torquey and strong like the other turbo fours. I don't remember complaints about its sound either. Once again I think the problem is it's too easily compared to the V8 but, really, free it of this comparison and it's a pretty awesome car in its own right, including the engine. Compared to what I think are its true competitors it's right in line, and looks-wise it's a Mustang rather than a hopped-up econosedan.

The 1LE was available with the 4 and 6 in the Camaro, or was at least last year. I don't know about now. There's another sweet track car that doesn't get a fair shake because the SS & LT1 exist. If the FoRS somehow had a (more expensive) 2.7L ecoboost V6 trim everyone would hate the 2.3, even though it would be exactly the same car everybody loves.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 1LE was available with the 4 and 6 in the Camaro
The SS version of the 1LE is VERY different from the 4/6-banger 1LE package. The latter basically get the standard SS suspension and brake parts. The hopped up eco-sedans are a hoot and hollar and they carry 4 adults without trying as well as all kinds of cargo.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
The SS version of the 1LE is VERY different from the 4/6-banger 1LE package. The latter basically get the standard SS suspension and brake parts. The hopped up eco-sedans are a hoot and hollar and they carry 4 adults without trying as well as all kinds of cargo.
Too bad about the 4/6 Camaro getting a lamer suspension than the SS 1LE. Maybe it’s they don’t need the full monte SS 1LE package since they’re lighter? I think the V6 1LE blew away the in-class competition recently at C&D Lightning Lap.

agreed about the practicality of the sedans. If I had one car with my kids I’d love a FoRS EVO STI CivicR. But if there’s a practical car in the family and handling was important I personally might rather have the HPP. Would have to drive them and compare. But anyway I’m a straight-line guy so I have a GT.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it’s they don’t need the full monte SS 1LE package since they’re lighter?
the SS/1LE is basically all the good parts off the Corvette GrandSport - Magneride, big brakes, eDiff, a bunch of drive modes, and all the track-ready coolers. I'd have to go back and read the GM spec sheet but as I recall the 4/6 don't get coolers let alone the other driveline bits.

Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So..., what are the mods done to the car? 1/4 mile times?

GTV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 3.7, 2019 Mustang GT 5.0 PP2
Picked up my 2020 Ecoboost Premium High Performance Package May 5. Ordered it Feb 1 and it arrived at the dealer in late March. I elected to delay delivery until some of the virus lockdown had passed. Manual transmission, handling package, B&O, Safe and Smart, Magnetic paint, and Enhanced Security package. Very tight, no rattles. Panel lines perfect. Had the silver hood stripes removed. Great fun to drive in the mountains canyons east of Salt Lake.

I know it is sacrilege, but I did not want the V8. I test drove a 6 speed V8 and it was a lot of fun, but I really questioned how often I would use the full 460 HP. I felt the 330 HP of the ecoboost HPP was plenty for me and I loved how it handled with the Handling Package. But then again, that is just me.

Yes, I understand nothing sounds like a V8, but I like how my HPP sounds in Sport and Track mode. I got every option you could get on a HPP except the A10 and the Recaros. (Didn't want to drive an automatic and I loved the premium seats.) But that is the best part of a Mustang. You can buy it anyway you want from a base rental version all the way up to a fire breathing GT500. I admire everyone's car I see here and love the enthusiasm everyone shows for their Mustang. I've wanted a Mustang for over 40 years, way back in college. Now I have the exact one I wanted and I could not be happier.

dc3c2c57-de8f-433a-993d-71f0bc29160c-jpeg.jpg
eeefd45b-5549-4a69-820d-bd638cf18ee0-jpeg.jpg
1dacebe5-f384-40de-80dd-771d10bf5cf6-jpeg.jpg
4f1b6b5e-38b1-427c-abbb-8e78f7ab1f78-jpeg.jpg
a6df0c94-6288-4830-8d23-7ac1206a305a-jpeg.jpg
What the transmission and clutch feeling? I test drive 2017 and 2018 before, compare to 2017 v6 and 2019 v8, it was like shit. Curious to know how it changes now.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
What the transmission and clutch feeling? I test drive 2017 and 2018 before, compare to 2017 v6 and 2019 v8, it was like shit. Curious to know how it changes now.
I only drove a manual 2020 GT and EB, so I have no comparison to previous years.

GTV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I only drove a manual 2020 GT and EB, so I have no comparison to previous years.
So what your feeling compare to 2020 GT and EB? are their almost same except Rev match function? The old EB`s clutch is much harder than other models (GT V6 GT350)

Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
So what your feeling compare to 2020 GT and EB? are their almost same except Rev match function? The old EB`s clutch is much harder than other models (GT V6 GT350)
I found no real difference; but then again it was a 20 minute test drive when I really did hop on either very hard. The clutch felt the same in the GT or EB. I am sure under strenuous driving there would be a difference.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I don't know what is meant by a hard clutch. The clutch in my 2020 Ecoboost HPP feels similar to my 2007 Mustang GT and 2014 Shelby GT500 . My 2020 Ecoboost feels better geared in 6th gear than my GT500 while cruising at the speed limit in 6th gear. When I nail the accelerator while at the speed limit in 6th gear , my 2020 Ecoboost picks speed quicker than my 2014 Shelby with 662 HP.

zrx4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
randy
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
wish Ford would do a performance pack on this car. Was told by them last summer that it would not pass emissions.That is unacceptable. I want to keep my warranty. everybody should e-mail Ford and raise hell with them.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
wish Ford would do a performance pack on this car. Was told by them last summer that it would not pass emissions.That is unacceptable. I want to keep my warranty. everybody should e-mail Ford and raise hell with them.
it isn't unreasonable, they would have to have an intercooler etc for any more power, and they can't expect a customer to install one without destroying their car.

they probably have as much safe power as they felt on stock tune on that puny intercooler as they could go. they should of added a larger intercooler, to enable some more ponies.

GTV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found no real difference; but then again it was a 20 minute test drive when I really did hop on either very hard. The clutch felt the same in the GT or EB. I am sure under strenuous driving there would be a difference.
I test drive 2021 HPP near days, it clutch still very bad... and it seems like the quality of whole car decrease a lot since 2021.
Sponsored