Sponsored

2020 Ford Mustang 2.3 High Performance FRPP Power Pack

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
To me, it doesn't matter what something else sounds like. If you like it, it's your money, and that's all that matters. Heck, for many years V8's weren't putting out 350hp, and you're getting it from HALF the amount of cylinders!!! I mean holy sh*t, that's pretty impressive.
Yep, that is the way I feel. Ironically, the two folks that asked why I didn't get a V8 don't drive Mustangs at all. One drives an Infiniti QX30 and the other drives a 2009 C6 (so maybe he had a legit reason to ask why I didn't get the GT.)

Anyway, my money, my choice.
Sponsored

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Picked up my 2020 Ecoboost Premium High Performance Package May 5.
Congrats! There's plenty of us out there who just bought what we wanted. I really love my turbo Mustang. This new model makes me a wee bit jealous! Enjoy! :like:

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My favorite feature so far is the handling package with the Magneride. The car sites all said it transformed the car. The only HPPs I could test were non-handling package A10s. The cars was great to drive, but I knew I was going to order the six speed; and I rolled the dice on the handling package hoping it lived up to the hype. It delivers, believe me. The best $2K I’ve spent on a car.

If you’re considering a HPP fastback try to find one with the handling package to test. It’s been a blast in the Wasatch canyons.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I really wish some folks in the EB community, esp HPP owners, would STOP looking over their shoulder at the GT they could have bought and why they made their decision, and not worry about GT owners with superiority complexes. It’s a different and unique car, handling-wise looks and power wise, and should be compared to Civic Rs, STIs, and Veloster Ns. The (stock) Focus RS in 2016 lost to (stock) Mustang GTs (a car that costs about the same, “sounds better”) in more than one YouTube video drag race...did FoRS owners care? Not at all. Different car, focused on handling and power.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I really wish some folks in the EB community, esp HPP owners, would STOP looking over their shoulder at the GT they could have bought and why they made their decision, and not worry about GT owners with superiority complexes. It’s a different and unique car, handling-wise looks and power wise, and should be compared to Civic Rs, STIs, and Veloster Ns. The (stock) Focus RS in 2016 lost to (stock) Mustang GTs (a car that costs about the same, “sounds better”) in more than one YouTube video drag race...did FoRS owners care? Not at all. Different car, focused on handling and power.
Still comes down to loaded preferences, a GT base cost as much as a eco premium or HIPO premium I think. id trade the v8 for leather myself, but some people are opposite and all about that powaaaa

Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Still comes down to loaded preferences, a GT base cost as much as a eco premium or HIPO premium I think. id trade the v8 for leather myself, but some people are opposite and all about that powaaaa
I’m in that camp, I bought a base optionless 17 GT. All I care about personally with this car is acceleration. But if I was a handling guy I would have a FoRS or CivicR or Camaro V6 1LE. if it were 2020 I’d have seriously considered the EB HPP...competes with those others and isn’t based on an economy car (incl in looks). But I would hope I wouldn’t worry about the GT if I was after a more balanced handling car that could still do 60 in about 5s stock.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in that camp, I bought a base optionless 17 GT. All I care about personally with this car is acceleration. But if I was a handling guy I would have a FoRS or CivicR or Camaro V6 1LE. if it were 2020 I’d have seriously considered the EB HPP...competes with those others and isn’t based on an economy car (incl in looks). But I would hope I wouldn’t worry about the GT if I was after a more balanced handling car that could still do 60 in about 5s stock.

If all you want is acceleration, get on board with a sport bike. I think that is why im content with my EB. Its just my daily.commuter. When I want full exhilaration, I pull out the toy, all that low end torque goodness with open wind. Cheaper too. I have about 12k total in bike + full mods and tune.
IMG_0277.JPG

AGM2018

I believe your line of thought and reasoning aligns with many potential 'Stang buyers, including myself. As a cost comparison, consider the following 2020 Mustang builds:

2020 GT Base Trim: 10 Speed Automatic, 301A Equipment Group, Active Valve Exhaust and 3.55 gears. MSRP: $42,110.

2020 EB HPP Premium Trim: 10 Speed Automatic, 201A Equipment Group, HPP Package and Handling Package. MSRP: 43,665.

I selected, in my opinion, the "bare essential" options for the 2020 Base Trim GT, to compare it against a 2020 Premium Trim EB HPP, with the 201A Equipment Group, EB HPP Package and Handling Package. Of course, if a buyer opted for the 200A Equipment Group, which is still a premium trim, the cost would be $2200 less expensive. For this comparison, my aim was to equip the EB in the highest/most premium interior trim level...a.k.a. the 201A Equipment Group. Both the GT and the EB HPP are equipped with the optional 10 Speed Automatic, so this option is an equal price factor for both builds in this price comparison.

Many people will, as you said, "Trade the V8" for upgraded premium feature "Creature Comforts", such as leather seats which are heated/cooled, heated steering wheel (in the 201A Equipment Group), upgraded security options (such as BLIS, again only included and available in the 201A Equipment Package). With price difference being a small $1555 between a nicely equipped EB HPP and a base GT, in my opinion, many buyers will opt for the EB HPP as a daily, vice the base GT.

To equip a GT as the EB is equipped will cost an additional 6K or so...and to many buyers, the cost isn't worth it OR to be fair, they can't...or won't...afford the cost. No matter what the reason or cause is, a loaded out EB, especially with the HPP and Handling Package, is, again, in my opinion, a GREAT WAY to go, IF a buyer does not HAVE TO HAVE the GT's V8; if they do, then, of course, nothing else will do. But, I surmise that, all things and all factors being equal, if ten people were presented with the decision of buying one of the two 'Stangs in this cost comparison, six of the ten would buy the EBB HPP. Again, this my opinion. YMMV...happy motoring!

Last edited by a moderator:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I think if a buyer wants a fast sports car (actually a GT, buy whatever) but isn't sure whether they should get a V8 or not, they probably should. If you can't afford a V8, but want a Mustang, the base EB is there for about $10k less than a GT, so a big deal in terms of price.

The EB HPP is different. To buy this package, you have to know you want this package or you'll probably be disappointed. It's too much money to get if you aren't sure about it. If you want a car that's a couple ticks slower than a GT in a drag race, but get's pretty damned good mileage and handles better than a GT in an autocross & maybe even a tight racetrack, it's a good alternative. It really is the new version 1985 SVO (which was *more* expensive than a GT). It's also worth remembering that the HPP is more than just 20 HP. It's essentially the PP1 package as well as the engine differences.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No matter what the reason or cause is, a loaded out EB, especially with the HPP and Handling Package, is, again, in my opinion, a GREAT WAY to go, IF a buyer does not HAVE TO HAVE the GT's V8.
This was me exactly. I drove a manual non-PP1 GT and an A10 PP1, an A10 HPP w/o handling package and decided I wanted a great handling car more than 460 HP. The HPP with the handling package, to me (and this is just my seat of the pants opinion) handled as well as the PP1 GT. So in essence, I got the handling of the PP1 without the V8.

Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I think if a buyer wants a fast sports car (actually a GT, buy whatever) but isn't sure whether they should get a V8 or not, they probably should. If you can't afford a V8, but want a Mustang, the base EB is there for about $10k less than a GT, so a big deal in terms of price.

The EB HPP is different. To buy this package, you have to know you want this package or you'll probably be disappointed. It's too much money to get if you aren't sure about it. If you want a car that's a couple ticks slower than a GT in a drag race, but get's pretty damned good mileage and handles better than a GT in an autocross & maybe even a tight racetrack, it's a good alternative. It really is the new version 1985 SVO (which was *more* expensive than a GT). It's also worth remembering that the HPP is more than just 20 HP. It's essentially the PP1 package as well as the engine differences.
I wish they would have just called it the SVO instead of the excessively generic “High Performance Package”. But I guess even though enthusiasts liked/loved the SVO it was a pretty dismal sales failure. Aftermarket SVO badges are cool but there’s already a badge on the HPP.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
This was me exactly. I drove a manual non-PP1 GT and an A10 PP1, an A10 HPP w/o handling package and decided I wanted a great handling car more than 460 HP. The HPP with the handling package, to me (and this is just my seat of the pants opinion) handled as well as the PP1 GT. So in essence, I got the handling of the PP1 without the V8.
how about the cars that are more in your category based on what you seem to want in a car. How do you like your car vs a Civic Type R or Camaro turbo/v6 1LE? If handling is important then a GT non-PP1 isn’t in the same category as your car equipment wise and a PP2 probably pricewise.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how about the cars that are more in your category based on what you seem to want in a car. How do you like your car vs a Civic Type R or Camaro turbo/v6 1LE? If handling is important then a GT non-PP1 isn’t in the same category as your car equipment wise and a PP2 probably pricewise.
I have owned six Hondas, I love them (three Civics, two Accords, one Acura TL), but the CTR is not attractive to me. I read it is great fun to drive, but the looks are dreadful in my opinion. Camaro? I am not a GM fan. Never owned a GM product or even test driven a GM product of any kind. I don't think I have been on a GM lot since the late 1970s. I wanted a Mustang.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
This is an old comparison, which I read prior to buying. https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/ecoboost-mustang-vs-wrx-vs-frs-vs-fiesta-st.838/

I was interested in a small-ish car with a higher HP 4 cyl., rear wheel drive, a manual trans and good handling. I don't really like the Type R's, even though they're a great handling car, they've got a 'ricer' look and they're FWD. I just don't like driving a FWD car fast. So that takes us to an FRS-type car, a 2,3,4 series BMW, a turbo/V6 Camaro or a V6 Challenger. (Edit: Throw the Kia Stinger in the mix as well.)

Among those options, I felt the Mustang HPP was a pretty good option.

Last edited:

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
This is an old comparison, which I read prior to buying. https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/ecoboost-mustang-vs-wrx-vs-frs-vs-fiesta-st.838/

I was interested in a small-ish car with a higher HP 4 cyl., rear wheel drive, a manual trans and good handling. I don't really like the Type R's, even though they're a great handling car, they've got a 'ricer' look and they're FWD. I just don't like driving a FWD car fast. So that takes us to an FRS-type car, a 2,3,4 series BMW, a turbo/V6 Camaro or a V6 Challenger.

Among those options, I felt the Mustang HPP was a pretty good option.
I think so too. And if the GT didn’t exist people with those cars would consider the EB a serious and ass-kicking competitor (and in my opinion a hell of a lot better looking). Instead it gets lumped in with other mustangs as a continuation of 60s era pony/muscle cars. I’d like to see a HPP with the handling options go up against a CivicR, STI, evo, FoST, Golf R, etc on a track.
Sponsored