Sponsored

2020 Ford Mustang 2.3 High Performance FRPP Power Pack

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Hey guys just wondering if you heard anything if Ford will do a power kit for the 2.3 High Peformance.. Thanks

Dave
Sponsored

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Hey guys just wondering if you heard anything if Ford will do a power kit for the 2.3 High Peformance.. Thanks

Dave
I keep waiting for more info on the HPP...
So far I have not found any testing done to confirm its performance numbers. Nothing much on youtube either...
Im sure FORD will EVENTUALLY do a power kit but doubt it would be any time soon.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Yeah, I was hoping at Motorweek would have done an instrumented test.

AGM2018

Yeah, I was hoping at Motorweek would have done an instrumented test.
I am beginning to wonder if not conducting a test of the 2020 EB HPP is intentional. IF it is indeed a 4.5ish second 0 to 60 car, many people may buy it, vice a higher priced (albeit slightly higher, especially in the case of a base GT) instead of a GT. I am also curious to see a 2020 EB HPP put on a dyno; I have a suspicion that the actual horsepower number is closer to 350 than the advertised 330.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I am beginning to wonder if not conducting a test of the 2020 EB HPP is intentional. IF it is indeed a 4.5ish second 0 to 60 car, many people may buy it, vice a higher priced (albeit slightly higher, especially in the case of a base GT) instead of a GT. I am also curious to see a 2020 EB HPP put on a dyno; I have a suspicion that the actual horsepower number is closer to 350 than the advertised 330.

Agreed. Its just odd that it's almost April and there is NOTHING out there to confirm its performance numbers...
NOTHING.

I mean there's quite of few vids of 18+ EB's doing 13.3 - 13.4 @ 101 -102 mph 1/4 miles in 60's F temp...Im sure the HPP could be doing 12.7-13 @ 105mph? IDK ...

Sponsored

krack999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Yeah, I came really close to trying to trade in mine for a 2020 HPP A10 with the handling package back in January. It was going to be $9k off MSRP.... I must admit, I personally like the EB platform. The nose does not feel as heavy as a GT. I think I'm just going to make a go with my 2017 manual and just work on making it shift better. I only owe $13k on it anyway now and it has $29k miles. I'll just do the NX2 platform with better head studs and a pro-tune vs upgrading.

GT5.0Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Yeah, I came really close to trying to trade in mine for a 2020 HPP A10 with the handling package back in January. It was going to be $9k off MSRP.... I must admit, I personally like the EB platform. The nose does not feel as heavy as a GT. I think I'm just going to make a go with my 2017 manual and just work on making it shift better. I only owe $13k on it anyway now and it has $29k miles. I'll just do the NX2 platform with better head studs and a pro-tune vs upgrading.
$9K off of MSRP is a pretty good number. I test drove a new one with the full bells and whistles but with a manual. Was hoping to test drive the Auto though. Was fast but not wow like fast. Ok for around town and number to bumper freeway that California normally has. The front end did feel noticeable lighter which was great but 1/4 mile top speed numbers are a turn off.

krack999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
$9K off of MSRP is a pretty good number. I test drove a new one with the full bells and whistles but with a manual. Was hoping to test drive the Auto though. Was fast but not wow like fast. Ok for around town and number to bumper freeway that California normally has. The front end did feel noticeable lighter which was great but 1/4 mile top speed numbers are a turn off.
Thats what I thought.... Ford really embellishes the performance of the 2.3L Ecoboost Mustang, both regular Ecoboost and HPP. The 0-60 numbers are probably because they really tweaked the A-10 and were only reached 50% of the time on a good day.

I had 2 rental convertible mustangs in HI last year. Both were only getting 0-60 stock of 6.5 seconds. I even filled up with premium.

That being said, my best 0 to 60 with my Ford Power Pack 2017 Manual PP has been 5.4 seconds. I only achieved that after I bought tires that didn't spin out. The power never seems reliable on this platform. Regardless, this definitely tells me to not go the HPP route, but, just upgrade to an NX2 with a pro tune and call it a day.

GT5.0Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Thats what I thought.... Ford really embellishes the performance of the 2.3L Ecoboost Mustang, both regular Ecoboost and HPP. The 0-60 numbers are probably because they really tweaked the A-10 and were only reached 50% of the time on a good day.

I had 2 rental convertible mustangs in HI last year. Both were only getting 0-60 stock of 6.5 seconds. I even filled up with premium.

That being said, my best 0 to 60 with my Ford Power Pack 2017 Manual PP has been 5.4 seconds. I only achieved that after I bought tires that didn't spin out. The power never seems reliable on this platform. Regardless, this definitely tells me to not go the HPP route, but, just upgrade to an NX2 with a pro tune and call it a day.
Would be cool if Ford could match the performance numbers from the new upcoming A45 AMG Benz from their 2 liter engine. You would figure that they could do it with a 2.5 Liter engine since Mercedes was able to do it with their 2 Liter engine and Audi from their 2.5 Liter engine. Both pretty 4 second or under cars. With the 10 speed auto it should be doable.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The 2.3L HiPo feels much more stout than the original 2.3 Ecoboost. The car will pull to redline with no issues while the standard ecoboost really feels out of steam at 5500rpm. Not to mention the power under the curve is so much better.

Dave

Last edited:

Sponsored

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Remember that it likely had 87 in the tank, and likely low miles thus not even broken in. All EB need 93 octane to make its rated HP. So once filled with 93 and properly broken in:cwl:..the thing will be wow fast lol

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost

Well, I drive a stock '16 EB coupe with 80k miles. Been pumping 93 since 10k miles. Car pulls.. no problem with being quicker than most... the below was performed in 73 F temps (IAT's around 75F) , slight launch at 1500 rpms..
care EB perf.jpg

AGM2018

After a proper break-in period and on 93 octane gasoline, I think the 2020 EB HPP, especially with the optional handling package, will be a consistent 5.0 - 5.1 second zero to sixty car, with the 10 speed automatic transmission. I don't see the 2020 EB HPP consistently reaching zero to sixty in Ford's advertised 4.5ish second claim. I do, however, agree with Dave 2013M3 that the 2020 EB HPP, again especially with the optional handling package, will be faster/quicker than the previous generation 2.3L EB. Time will tell if the increased price premium for the 2020 EB HPP is money well spent...or if purchasing a quality tune for the non HPP 2.3 EB yields purchasers better "bang for their buck."

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
After a proper break-in period and on 93 octane gasoline, I think the 2020 EB HPP, especially with the optional handling package, will be a consistent 5.0 - 5.1 second zero to sixty car, with the 10 speed automatic transmission. I don't see the 2020 EB HPP consistently reaching zero to sixty in Ford's advertised 4.5ish second claim. I do, however, agree with Dave 2013M3 that the 2020 EB HPP, again especially with the optional handling package, will be faster/quicker than the previous generation 2.3L EB. Time will tell if the increased price premium for the 2020 EB HPP is money well spent...or if purchasing a quality tune for the non HPP 2.3 EB yields purchasers better "bang for their buck."
Yeah, likely. My '16 EB is rated at 5.5 0-60. I am able to achieve that in temps that range between 70-78F and with a slight launch as shown above. I haven't bothered to try at LOWER temps (though car feels faster, duh) nor in HIGHER temps cuz I highly doubt I'd be doing 5.5--5.8s in 85F PLUS temps..I drive a NON PP , btw..
In those same temps of 70's range , without a launch, I can hit 60 mph in 5.7-5.8 sec ..

My guess is the HPP should hit sub 5 seconds in 70s temps of around 4.7. 4.8 sec and only hitting its rated 0-60 of 4.5 s in good temps and launching. Maybe, like you said, only with the handling package? But then again mine is NON PP and I get good performance ( of course not with the stock A/S tires - I switched to summer tires for better traction), the HPP comes stock with "better" tires..but yes, likely only with the handling added in this HPP....

The question remains, of course, is it worth the added money ? when you can easily save 10k and tune a non HPP.....at least in terms of straight line performance only..If the handling package was to help straight line performance and thus make it more consistent, Id say it is worth it.

zrx4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
randy
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
so has anybody actually bought a ecoboost HPP??? What do you think so far?? I had a 2016 ecoboost PP and a 2018 GT. Picking up a eco HPP friday.
Sponsored