Sponsored

2020 EcoBoost High Performance Package, 330 HP / 350 LB-FT, 0-60 mid 4's [Updated With Video]

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
So I am a little confused about the weight distribution. It says 50/50. But the current eco is like 53/47. Maybe I missed something but how did they rearrange the weight? I keep hearing the 200 lb reference buy I believe that is just comparing an eco to a GT.
The EB is the closest any Mustang has come to 50/50 with a 52/48 distribution. The press release incorrectly states EB numbers as 53/47, but those are GT numbers not EB. Either that or the new 2020 EB has gained a few pounds up front.

"Though it gains a few pounds compared with the outgoing model, this 2015 Mustang carries its burden more evenly. In EcoBoost guise, weight distribution is 52/48 front-to-rear; wearing 5.0 trim, it's slightly more nose-heavy at 53/47. Still, that's a vast improvement over the previous 57/43 split, and the closest any production Mustang has ever come to perfect 50/50 allocation."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a8332/2015-ford-mustang-by-the-numbers/
Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Quick question for those of you with EB in any form. Did you insurance company ding you for the turbo? And for those of you that are EB verts, did you get double dinged. I was also to verts are WAY more expensive to insure.\
Never heard of a Turbo increasing insurance, especially when the Turbo is the entry level model.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Watch the video from Stang mode posted yesterday #257. Plaque in front of the car says 50/50, Ford put it there which is where my question stems
I don't watch his videos. But I'm not sure what it is... 53/47 seems most logical though. With the extra weight from the bigger brakes, bigger turbo, enhanced cooling, etc. I'm sure it racked up enough pounds to bump it to a 53/47 distribution

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Poor throttle response in a turbo car is the result of turbo lag. That's what turbo lag is... a lag in response to throttle inputs
No, there is a difference!

There is what One calls: "throttle response" & there is "turbo lag". They are not the same (& individually have the same feel/effect on the car), but when you have both bad throttle response AND bad turbo lag... makes for a disconnected feeling (or a rubber-banding effect of the throttle). Additionally, the 2.3 liter EB engines are spooling up at 1,300rpms and can have full boost (ie TQ) at 2,300rpms. Turbos are much more engaging to drive with a manual, because you can innately control how responsive you want/need the engine to be (docile or raging).

It is all about mechanical advantage.... & for the 80% of first 3 gears, the HPO EB has the advantage over the Gen3 yote. Meaning cruising along off a light (already moving) and HPO & PP2 decide to mash it... (15mph~).

On the highway and speeds beyond 70mph, the little EB doesn't have the over-all HP to keep up with the heavy breathing 5.0 liter engine.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, what exactly is the difference between throttle response and turbo lag that represents the ecoboost mustang having no turbo lag, yet having awful throttle response? Because the GT has excellent throttle response, and the GT and ecoboost use the same throttle mapping, soooooo...

Keep in mind, I'm not saying they're the same. I'm saying they're closely related, which you seem to think isn't the case. Turbo lag is a reason for poor throttle response, which is why the Ecoboost doesn't have good throttle response.

Also, I'd love to see the backwards fucking pageantry in your head that shows the ecoboost having enough "mechanical advantage" to somehow overcome the slower 0-60 time, slower 1/4 mile time, lower 1/4 mile trap speed, and so on to be faster than a GT. Let's hear them numbers, bud

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
So, what exactly is the difference between throttle response and turbo lag that represents the ecoboost mustang having no turbo lag, yet having awful throttle response? Because the GT has excellent throttle response, and the GT and ecoboost use the same throttle mapping, soooooo...

Keep in mind, I'm not saying they're the same. I'm saying they're closely related, which you seem to think isn't the case. Turbo lag is a reason for poor throttle response, which is why the Ecoboost doesn't have good throttle response.

Also, I'd love to see the backwards fucking pageantry in your head that shows the ecoboost having enough "mechanical advantage" to somehow overcome the slower 0-60 time, slower 1/4 mile time, lower 1/4 mile trap speed, and so on to be faster than a GT. Let's hear them numbers, bud

It is the exact same throttle response issue one would have with a 4 cylinder and a 8cylinder that are not turbocharged. 8 cylinder give you more response, because per revolution, you have more modulation & input (in reference to the output)..

Even under full boost in 3rd gear cruising at 3k rpms and mashing the throttle on a 2.3l ecoboost, there is throttle lag, even though there is zero turbo lag.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
It is the exact same throttle response issue one would have with a 4 cylinder and a 8cylinder that are not turbocharged. 8 cylinder give you more response, because per revolution, you have more modulation & input (in reference to the output)..

Even under full boost in 3rd gear cruising at 3k rpms and mashing the throttle on a 2.3l ecoboost, there is throttle lag, even though there is zero turbo lag.
What? No, that's not how it works at all. What?! LMAO

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Ever drive a 10, or 12 cyl car... notice how you have more modulation & engine response. The air you are serving you engine, gets chopped up in smaller faster bits, and processes at a higher rate, given the same amount of revolutions...

More throttle bits per second.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ever drive a 10, or 12 cyl car... notice how you have more modulation & engine response. The air you are serving you engine, gets chopped up in smaller faster bits, and processes at a higher rate, given the same amount of revolutions...

More throttle bits per second.
No, that's not at all how it works!

Go drive a 2008 F250 Triton and tell me it has better throttle response than a Ferrari 458 Speciale LMAO

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Mechanical advantage is the one where turbochargers use a mechanical advantage to produce compressed air. And can produce gobs of mechanical energy at low revolutions per minute.

No, that's not at all how it works!

Go drive a 2008 F250 Triton and tell me it has better throttle response than a Ferrari 458 Speciale LMAO
I am sorry if you do not understand cubic inches of air, calculated in revolutions per minute, times/divided x.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Again, that has nothing to do with throttle response.

You do understand how turbos work, right?

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Please follow along, are you backing yourself into a hole and saying ONLY turbo engines have throttle response issues..? That is your debate now... or will you concede(?), that throttle response doesn't nec mean turbo lag, but instead the actual ability of an engine to throttle up on demand. Because there are normally asperated engines with throttle response issues, or even nannies, etc.

I guess I don't, please explain to me about fluid mechanics, thermodynamics or turbomachinery.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Quick question for those of you with EB in any form. Did you insurance company ding you for the turbo? And for those of you that are EB verts, did you get double dinged. I was also to verts are WAY more expensive to insure.\
The pricing models used by most insurers are much more sophisticated than they were in the '80s. Not to mention the fact that probably 50% of private passenger vehicles sold now have some sort of turbo option, including the most mundane vehicles. It shouldn't be an issue.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
I get a chuckle out of some of the comments regarding "turbo lag" and "throttle response" as it relates to modern Ecoboost Mustangs. If anyone wants to experience real turbo lag, or sub-optimal throttle response, stop by and I'll take you for a spin in my '86 944 Turbo. Like all '80s turbos, you push the throttle down and wait...wait...wait...bam! This is turbo lag. Modern cars, including the Eco Mustang, do not have meaningful turbo lag. As far throttle response, yes, turbos are essentially like an "on, off" switch. The boost quickly spools to max and stays there until you lift, then it's suddenly gone, i.e., on or off. In comparison, most normally aspirated engines have throttle response similar to a "dial". You gradually increase the power, or gradually decrease the power, i.e., dial it up or down. I would suggest it is much easier to modulate the throttle of a NA car on a track. The turbo takes some getting used to...but its still tons of fun.
Sponsored